The discovery thread!
Oct 20, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #15,631 of 103,338
One that doesn't get much love, but I like it, is Meelectronics A-161. I just gave mine to my 19 year old daughter who is in from college for a long weekend (she broke her 151's). List for more than we're talking about, but I see them for $40-50 often

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oct 20, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #15,632 of 103,338
Started my geeky cable comparison, using my Zo and Cardas mini to mini as lod between X3 and ALO National. Cardas much better, obvious immediately. Was going to do more, but made the mistake of demonstrating the combo with the Marley Exodus headphones for my 19 year old daughter, Regina Spektor playing... Last I got to listen to the gear LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #15,633 of 103,338
I have th JVC FX1X and FX40, are the Delta's worth getting? What about S2 and M200 (I know they are in another price category but I'm just comparing those two excluding the FX40 and Deltas)?

Also, Momentums would be the way to go, VMODA M100 or the M500?

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #15,634 of 103,338
Hi guys, not a discovery material but does the Shure SE215Ltd have the quality to hang around with the current discovery like the KEF, Onkyo, Philips or RHA. Haven't heard any of them except the S2 which i now own and happens to find the SE215 to give me a very good comfortable fit. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #15,635 of 103,338
dMarco--sounds like the Tenore is the best choice to me given your friends preferences.  its a fine iem
which is smooth and silky and has a deent soundstage and fantastic instrument separation.  remember
to tell him it needs a vast amount of burn in being carbon nano based and won't sound really good till
200 hours or more of burn in, then magic happens!!! one of my favorites and will fit your friends tastes.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #15,637 of 103,338
I have th JVC FX1X and FX40, are the Delta's worth getting? What about S2 and M200 (I know they are in another price category but I'm just comparing those two excluding the FX40 and Deltas)?

Also, Momentums would be the way to go, VMODA M100 or the M500?

I haven't hear most of the earphones but i have owned the fx1x, kef m500s, and v moda m100 at some point in time. Of course, now only the m500 remains.

However, if you enjoy the sound of the FX1X, which i found a bit bassy for my tastes, you may want to go for the v moda m100s great bass quality and enough quantity to satisfy bassheads in those.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #15,638 of 103,338
dMarco--sounds like the Tenore is the best choice to me given your friends preferences.  its a fine iem
which is smooth and silky and has a deent soundstage and fantastic instrument separation.  remember
to tell him it needs a vast amount of burn in being carbon nano based and won't sound really good till
200 hours or more of burn in, then magic happens!!! one of my favorites and will fit your friends tastes.

The Tenore is quite good but the Gratitudes are of better value IMHO. Also based on the freq graph, I reckon the Gratitudes are good for vocals w/o compromising the low end. Aside from that, I always consider the resale value whenever I recommend stuff because there is always a chance they might not like it.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #15,639 of 103,338
Link to Tyll's review on the Marleys...made of wood, cloth covered cable, nice sounding..
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/house-marley-exodus

My daughter loved the sound, hated the look...has to sound great but look like Beats (don't want to be Big Geek On Campus). So, I got them back this morning. Her birthday is coming up, looking for a set with iPhone control. Thinking of Noontec Zoro, Phiaton MS400 was mentioned as a similar (but more expensive) option. Any thoughts out there?

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #15,640 of 103,338
I think they look nice...my fashion conscious 19 year old begs to differ.

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #15,641 of 103,338
Again, I agree on Gratitudes over Tenores. Like the Tenores wide soundstage, good imaging, feel they slightly blanch tonal color. Gratitudes more body/color, good bass, good isolation (Tenores do too), great buy at current prices (odd shpe to stems, my daughter probably wouldn't approve, no problem functionally)

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #15,642 of 103,338
  I like the Carbo Tenore, have it, also have the Gratitudes, I'd get the Gratitudes (it is a bit odd shaped, stick out at a funny angle[not as bad as the AT 1K] but I had no fit issues with it, and I have fit issues with many iem's). Thinking of buying more for gifts as well.

What are your reasons for recommending the Gratitudes over the Tenores? How do detail and clarity compare between the two?

I'm guessing this is directed at me? Yeah I was thinking the Tenore would be a good fit. How is the bass on them though? I'm afraid it might be slightly too bass-light but I've never heard them so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
The Tenore is quite good but the Gratitudes are of better value IMHO. Also based on the freq graph, I reckon the Gratitudes are good for vocals w/o compromising the low end. Aside from that, I always consider the resale value whenever I recommend stuff because there is always a chance they might not like it.

Yeah that's definitely true, that value is hard to argue with. And I wouldn't have to order them from Japan. Now I'm leaning towards the Gratitudes, hmm...

Oct 20, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #15,643 of 103,338
Sad furry Jets fan, maybe 2nd half better...J-E-T-S WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #15,644 of 103,338
Furry friend feeling fine, J-E-T-S WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!! 
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #15,645 of 103,338

What are your reasons for recommending the Gratitudes over the Tenores? How do detail and clarity compare between the two?

Yeah that's definitely true, that value is hard to argue with. And I wouldn't have to order them from Japan. Now I'm leaning towards the Gratitudes, hmm...

The Gratitudes are much better than the Tenores in terms of clarity and detail.  Much better.  

You have to remember that the Gratitudes were a $200 MSRP IEM when first released, but are now discontinued and thus being cleared out at ridiculous prices.  The Tenores are pretty good  IEMs for the ~$70 price range but they don't touch the Gratitudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back