The discovery thread!
Sep 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #14,551 of 100,529

Nah, we can't. 
deadhorse.gif

Btw, I see that those vsonic earbuds Glenair A1 that are coming out seem to be a huge hit since they've sold close to 4000 of them during just the preorder period in China. Hopefully LMUE will pick them soon for sale as vsonic;s ceo seems to be quite proud of their price to performance ratio. Although I see the price in China has raised from ~$5 to around 7 bucks, so the bang for buck will be less LOL

Uhh what Vsonic earbuds?
Google shows no results?

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #14,553 of 100,529
Based on my observations of what type of phones work best with which player.. I pulled out the JVC crew.

So Colored + DX50= Bliss. Again. This is proving to be exact..I have never heard my FXZ200s sound quite like how they do on the DX50. Amazing synergy..Crazy musical. The player brings out exactly what the strengths of the earphones have. Now I have no idea what actually sounds better the CKS1000 or the FXZ200 on the DX50. The truth is both sound exceptional.

Then there was the oldie but goodies FXD70 and FXD80. It has been a while since I took these two out and I have to say on the X3 both sound really nice much better than I initially thought they would on the player again proving.  Neutralish + X3= Bliss.

I am glad I kept these earphones as they are holding up extremely well even compared to the new offerings.. Now back to the FXZ200 and the DX50.

Sep 22, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #14,554 of 100,529
From my time as an audiophile:
1)everything is colored...coloration isn't always obvious until you hear something better, then it is noticeable. Even multi-kilobuck components can be found to have some kind of sound eventually-they don't sound identical (which they should if they transmitted everything perfectly).
2)While NO coloration is the ideal, since that doesn't really exist, combinations of complementary colorations is generally the way to put electronics together. Thus, a "dry" solid state amp, with good punch/focused bass, might work really well with a "euphonically colored" tube preamp, which may have somewhat more bloated bass, but rich midrange (itself considered to be a kind of even order distortion, the solid state "accuracy/dryness" the result of odd order harmonic distortion).
In the end, if it sounds good to you, it is good, of course, and that's what counts...

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #14,556 of 100,529
  Let the HYPE BEGIN!!! RHA MA750s > UE900s???

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675848/new-rha-iems-the-ma750i-and-ma600i/15#post_9828629

HYPED!!!
popcorn.gif

LOL
When I saw someone has posted in the thread I expected to see someone posting just to stop the world from ending as usual coz it was nearing the 24th hour.
I prefer the hype for a change

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #14,557 of 100,529
Sep 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #14,559 of 100,529
Those RHA-MA750s look like the real deal..I will probably end up with a pair but first. These things look awesome. I really like how the red came out. Now I am having second thoughs about the green.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #14,560 of 100,529
What's the word on the Brainwavz R3's? Worth it or not?
Sorry, going back a few headphones in the lighting speed of this thread.

The RHA MA750's look interesting.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #14,561 of 100,529
  I got my new purchase a couple of hours ago...
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/a0a8895f03d70c11/index.html

PRICE: Varies; $12.07 currently from nothingbutsoftware.com. MSRP is $14.95

GOAL: AT claiming to redefine value for the budget sets. CLR  for the natural sound crowd and COR for those who want more bass and thump. Both come with tips, a cord wrap case, a wide choice of colors and a 2 year warranty for minimal price.

BUILD: Budget build but still good. The CLR have thinner color matched tips. The housings are strong plastic with nice reliefs coming out. The Y-joint is similar to that found on the CKS77(triangular) but thinner and more flexible. Y - cord with no cord slider. The cable is similar to the SHE3580 but more supple and should behave better. The small right angle plug is nearly the same as the one on the CKN series. The sound tube has the white filter mesh with the two dots again like the CKN  50 model.

ACCESSORIES: Manual/warranty paper insert, ~2.25 inch circular Yo-Yo style cord wrap/case combo , S/M/L translucent tips in matching colors for the CLR. For the COR it would seem the more standard thicker black tips come those to befit their bassier nature. The case as mentioned being essentially a Yo-Yo opens wider(3/4") to swallow the cord and phones up then you squeeze it closed to about 1/4" space. It doesn't fully close.

FIT: The CLR-100 have a more angled sound tube than the likes of the CKN70 and being plastic are lighter. The tips are softer and more pliable making them more comfy. For me the loop support isn't really doing much and this design is lighter, easier to fit, and more comfy than their big brother. The stocks tips sound fine also. I haven't tried any others but it was quick to see the CKN needed to ditch the stock tips. No such need here AFAIC.

SOUND: AT's new house sound and not far off the CKN series sound. As it should be, the COR is more the CKS sound and the CLR standing for clear would translate to the CKN/CKM more balanced sound yet still having a punchy bass that is not lacking in amount.

Basically comparing it to the CKN 70, it would seem the CLR100 with it's two dots and 25,000Hz treble rating is something like the CKN50 in sound signature. The CKN70 is a bit more open and has more/brighter treble but not by much. Good punch, good balance, the treble comes off smoother than the CKN70 with a tiny bit more roll off(25,000 vs. 26,000). More forward/up front sounding than the CKN70 but still good depth and immersion factor. Bass is tight like the CKN and even out of the blister pack they handle fast paced music well with little bass bloat. The new better AT mids are still here though not quite as clear as the CKN. A general impression for now as they are 30 minutes old. We'll see how they end up with hours and maybe some tip changes.

VALUE: For my $12+ I got the CLR shipped to my house in a couple of days, I got a wide color choice, a useful set of tips(that balance sound), and a clever little case, and the 2 year warranty. For their intended use, straight out of a player/phone(in my case a Sony S639), the CLR100 make the CKN sound like it is overpriced. Of course the CKN is better built and fancier and they do sound better but not that much better. Though I have not heard them, it does sound like they would stack up well sound-wise with the CKN50.

A really good value. A good job by AT. Also an inexpensive way to sample the current AT sound!

Just ordered a pair off eBay for fun, around about AUD$16. 

Wonder if they will 'deliver big' or be something that is 'pay peanut money and get peanuts'?

Haha, nonetheless it was 'cheap enough' to purchase for fun... (not that I do that often :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back