The discovery thread!
Aug 21, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #13,261 of 100,558
Yay, I'm starting to feel more positive about the GEEK. The last DAC I bought was the ELE at under $20 and I've been plenty happy, but I've been looking at upgrades like the Hifimediy Sabre and all that as a next step-up that wouldn't be too expensive. Then this GEEK thing appeared. I figure $139 for something that will land up being $300 isn't actually half bad and then I won't need to keep looking at the next step-up. It would be crazy cool if one could get this running through OTG cables on Android devices and the like, but I have a feeling that the power draw might get too high with the GEEK.

I asked about what op-amps they were looking at using and I got a reply that all specs would be released soon, but i haven't seen anything to that effect. Anyone heard more about this?

An update on the project, if you guys haven't seen it, is if certain Stretch goals are reached, more colour options will be available. Which is pretty cool since I have dark carpets in my house and I've come to loathe owning small, dark items for the frequency of their "disappearance" on said carpet.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #13,262 of 100,558
Quote:
Yay, I'm starting to feel more positive about the GEEK. The last DAC I bought was the ELE at under $20 and I've been plenty happy, but I've been looking at upgrades like the Hifimediy Sabre and all that as a next step-up that wouldn't be too expensive. Then this GEEK thing appeared. I figure $139 for something that will land up being $300 isn't actually half bad and then I won't need to keep looking at the next step-up. It would be crazy cool if one could get this running through OTG cables on Android devices and the like, but I have a feeling that the power draw might get too high with the GEEK.

I asked about what op-amps they were looking at using and I got a reply that all specs would be released soon, but i haven't seen anything to that effect. Anyone heard more about this?

An update on the project, if you guys haven't seen it, is if certain Stretch goals are reached, more colour options will be available. Which is pretty cool since I have dark carpets in my house and I've come to loathe owning small, dark items for the frequency of their "disappearance" on said carpet.

Do you lose things on your carpet?

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #13,263 of 100,558
Quote:

I think I need to stay off this thread from now on. You guys have been encouraging me to make way too many purchases recently. I just bit on the GEEK for $159 mainly because of the high hopes from the people here. And this is after I convinced myself to say no when I first came across the kickstarter page at the $139 (might've been $119) bracket. I'm also hoping it'll work on android devices even if you need a portable battery as a power source. 

Keep us posted on the full specs if you hear back!

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #13,265 of 100,558
Okay, finally! My S2 is on the move from Hong Kong. Now, if only amazon would move my Onkyo, I would be a happy man! lol

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #13,267 of 100,558
The site that must not be named has actually negotiated a lower price on the Yulong D100 MkII. It's now $320 (if 20 or so more people join). I haven't jumped in just yet but I remember someone in this thread had mentioned in (maybe ds?) so just thought I'd send out that update.

If anyone has any comparisons between the Yulong and Audio-gd's 11.32, I'd be quite interested to hear them!

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #13,268 of 100,558
The site that must not be named has actually negotiated a lower price on the Yulong D100 MkII. It's now $320 (if 20 or so more people join). I haven't jumped in just yet but I remember someone in this thread had mentioned in (maybe ds?) so just thought I'd send out that update.

If anyone has any comparisons between the Yulong and Audio-gd's 11.32, I'd be quite interested to hear them!

I think I'll bite, even though I really have no money left lol. I remember reading somewhere that Audio-gd tends to be warmer whereas the D100 is more neutral. Can't remember where though.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #13,269 of 100,558
Quote:

The 11.32 has more juice in the headphone amp, a little more than double, and it outputs 192 instead of 96. If you are using power hungry headphones, the 11.32 seems like the better buy, despite the Yulong being balanced. I love my 11.32.

Still, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #13,270 of 100,558
This is my comparison of Tenore vs. Basso:

Tenores sound clearer, more detailed and airy, and have better mids and highs.  They sound brighter than the Bassos.  Bass is faster and tighter.

Bassos sound bigger and have more bass.  Mids are more forward.

I prefer the Tenore over the Basso for Rock and Pop.  The only time I like the Basso is if I'm in a mood for more bass, at the sacrifice of the aforementioned.

I still don't find any of my headphones perfect.  Still searching!  I may have to try some in the $100 range, such as RE-400, S1.

Aug 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #13,271 of 100,558
I still don't find any of my headphones perfect.  Still searching!  I may have to try some in the $100 range, such as RE-400, S1.

It's ok, some people in the $1000-5000 range don't find any of their phones perfect either.

I want to bite on the GEEK but I just can't do it. Funnily, earlier in my head-fi life, it would have been because I thought the 4Ohm output impedance was too high for some of my IEMs. Now, it's because there's no line-out. :rolleyes:

The lower that available spots at $159 number gets, the more I want to buy lol.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #13,272 of 100,558
Quote:
It's ok, some people in the $1000-5000 range don't find any of their phones perfect either.

I want to bite on the GEEK but I just can't do it. Funnily, earlier in my head-fi life, it would have been because I thought the 4Ohm output impedance was too high for some of my IEMs. Now, it's because there's no line-out.
rolleyes.gif

The lower that available spots at $159 number gets, the more I want to buy lol.

The GEEK does have a line out I think.
Take a look in the comments
(Sorry about your wallet)

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #13,273 of 100,558
The GEEK does have a line out I think.
Take a look in the comments
(Sorry about your wallet)

I thought I had read in the comments on the kickstarter page that it didn't lol. Sigh.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #13,274 of 100,558

The 11.32 has more juice in the headphone amp, a little more than double, and it outputs 192 instead of 96. If you are using power hungry headphones, the 11.32 seems like the better buy, despite the Yulong being balanced. I love my 11.32.

Still, I don't think you could go wrong with either.

More power doesn't always mean better sound quality though. I'm not saying that the Audio-gd is worse - I haven't heard it to be able to say - but just something to keep in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back