The discovery thread!
Mar 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #8,461 of 100,406
Quote:
Quote:
Filling the void these CKN70s will be tough but I am confident I can do it reasonable well with your help. Y-cord here I come.

I don't think you should have given them away tbh as I know you don't have a high budget set and these are probably the best iem's you can get in this price range. Hopefully the CKS77x will be the one for you but if not, you will have to spend more if you want an iem that is as good as these CKN70's.

+1. I'm sure the CKS77X will be awesome. AT just keeps getting better and better with every release. Hyped for the newest solid bass tech.

Quote:
Has anyone ever damaged their phones/iems during breakin? I've done lots of reading here and don't remember coming across anything as such but just checking as I'm "melting" the drivers as Dsnuts has said. I've got em cranked up pretty good.

EE

Don't blast em too high, lol. If they're too loud to listen to, that is good enough.

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #8,462 of 100,406
Quote:
Has anyone ever damaged their phones/iems during breakin? I've done lots of reading here and don't remember coming across anything as such but just checking as I'm "melting" the drivers as Dsnuts has said. I've got em cranked up pretty good.

EE

I just burned mine in for over 300 hours straight.  Cranked quite loud and no problems.  Still too bright for my taste but at lower volumes not much of a problem. 

Mar 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #8,463 of 100,406
Quote:
I just burned mine in for over 300 hours straight.  Cranked quite loud and no problems.  Still too bright for my taste but at lower volumes not much of a problem. 

I forgot how many hours i have put in on these, like 3 weeks with non-stop overnight burn-in and on/ off day time burn and these have opened up nicely. Just noticed that their sound is more full/ spacious and less lean sounding as it was just couple of days ago. There is still some brightness to them but the sibilance has been toned down a lot, even on high listening volumes.

So keep at it folks, beat them down with lots of fast hard hitting bass tracks and they will eventually shine.

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #8,465 of 100,406
99X 
blink.gif
???

Mar 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #8,466 of 100,406
Quote:
So where the CKS77s better than the CKS99s? Trying to decide between 77X and 99X

You have to look at what we know. The CKS99 was released on Oct. 19th and is not very old. The 77S are discontinued and replaced(at the same price and slot) with the 77X. Usually older phones are replaced with a better model like the CKM500 being better then a CKM55. The CKM500 are said to even be better than the CKM77 which is a 5 series being better than a higher 7 series. It looks like we just have a correction with slightly better ones coming out for older ones to fit better with the improved CKS99 and CKS1000. This accounts for just an X designation. I wouldn't hold out hope that the 77X is better than either the CKN70 or the CKS99 just better than the 77S which had lackluster mids and highs compared to the newer models.

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #8,468 of 100,406
Quote:
You have to look at what we know. The CKS99 was released on Oct. 19th and is not very old. The 77S are discontinued and replaced(at the same price and slot) with the 77X. Usually older phones are replaced with a better model like the CKM500 being better then a CKM55. The CKM500 are said to even be better than the CKM77 which is a 5 series being better than a higher 7 series. It looks like we just have a correction with slightly better ones coming out for older ones to fit better with the improved CKS99 and CKS1000. This accounts for just an X designation. I wouldn't hold out hope that the 77X is better than either the CKN70 or the CKS99 just better than the 77S which had lackluster mids and highs compared to the newer models.

Solid Bass CKS99's. "Solid Bass" stands for friggin' amazing. And for only 6900 yen ($74 US). Somebody has to get them and report back!

Mar 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #8,469 of 100,406
Quote:
Middle of the page. Here is the linky.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-ghosts-first-take-ath-ckn70-pg487-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383/8340

From jant71's posts.

Sorry, I got confused. The new ones are the 55X and 77X. CKN70s would've been perfect but for the cable. I hope they release a successor with a Y-cable

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #8,470 of 100,406
Quote:

Agreed, the CKS77X won't be better than the CKS99, just right below it or on par (hoping for the latter as AT has been moving fast with their improvements). The old CKS77 needs an update to close the gap with the new solid bass and this is it.

Quote:
Sorry, I got confused. The new ones are the 55X and 77X. CKN70s would've been perfect but for the cable. I hope they release a successor with a Y-cable

You know they're gonna announce a CKN90 soon. With the better cable that they know we want and more refinements on the sound.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #8,473 of 100,406
Quote:
you think the cks99 has same kind of punch as the cks77?

Speculation/hope only. That's why I said "Somebody has to get them and report back!".

The "Solid Bass" stands for friggin' amazing bit is based on the WS99's, and that is not speculation
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #8,474 of 100,406
Quote:

Agreed, the CKS77X won't be better than the CKS99, just right below it or on par (hoping for the latter as AT has been moving fast with their improvements). The old CKS77 needs an update to close the gap with the new solid bass and this is it.

You know they're gonna announce a CKN90 soon. With the better cable that they know we want and more refinements on the sound.

I hope that if they do it's not too much more expensive. Slightly improved CKN70 with Y-cord and it's an instabuy for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back