The discovery thread!
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #8,311 of 100,489
WS99 has got me thinking about full size headphones
dt880smile.png
.   I much prefer IEM's though, in terms of comfort and usability.  CKS1000 vs WS99 for "WOW" factor?

Mar 21, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #8,312 of 100,489
Quote:
Has anyone gotten the E12 yet? I was going to purchase it, but I'm a little worried it might be too neutral for my taste. I've never owned a headphone amplifier so I don't even know what I'm looking for. But out of everything I've seen so far it seems like the best choice. I really like the charge while listening feature. I'm looking for an amp that doesn't favor a certain type of sound since I have totally different sounding headphones. Would this be a good starting amp?

It's a fantastic amp. Some good reviews:
- by Bill-P
- by Evshrug
- by ClieOS

Some say it's neutral. Some say that it leans towards being warmer. All of them say it's great!

I would probably agree with the E12 leaning a bit towards warth, but that works very well with most of my headphones and iem's as I don't really want any of them to become brighter (that philosophy might change though once I try out the C&C BH).

I would also agree with ClieOS that it may narrow the soundstage a bit. This is not an issue at all with the AD900X's because they already have a huge soundstage. In fact, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X is rather amazing imo. It might be more of an issue with iem's though (such as my gr07be's) if you don't want the soundstage to be narrowed at all (I might prefer the gr07be's with the E11 due to that - more testing required).

Once I get the C&C BH and the WS99's, I will be playing around with various combos to see what works best for me. Hopefully either the E12 or the C&C will become obvious champs, because I don't really want to keep 3 amps lol.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #8,313 of 100,489
Quote:

It's a fantastic amp. Some good reviews:
- by Bill-P
- by Evshrug
- by ClieOS

Some say it's neutral. Some say that it leans towards being warmer. All of them say it's great!

I would probably agree with the E12 leaning a bit towards warth, but that works very well with most of my headphones and iem's as I don't really want any of them to become brighter (that philosophy might change though once I try out the C&C BH).

I would also agree with ClieOS that it may narrow the soundstage a bit. This is not an issue at all with the AD900X's because they already have a huge soundstage. In fact, the ELE DAC + E12 + AD900X is rather amazing imo. It might be more of an issue with iem's though (such as my gr07be's) if you don't want the soundstage to be narrowed at all (I might prefer the gr07be's with the E11 due to that - more testing required).

Once I get the C&C BH and the WS99's, I will be playing around with various combos to see what works best for me. Hopefully either the E12 or the C&C will become obvious champs, because I don't really want to keep 3 amps lol.

My preference in sound is neutral leaning towards warm so that sounds good to me. The soundstage becoming more narrow makes me a little nervous because none of my phones have that great of a stage. Actually, the CKN70s have a pretty huge soundstage, but my S500s with a more narrow stage? O.o

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #8,314 of 100,489
Quote:
My preference in sound is neutral leaning towards warm so that sounds good to me. The soundstage becoming more narrow makes me a little nervous because none of my phones have that great of a stage. Actually, the CKN70s have a pretty huge soundstage, but my S500s with a more narrow stage? O.o

With the S500's, I haven't really noticed the soundstage changing (if it has), but I will listen for that more carefully. What I did notice though is that they sound awesome out of the E12. Kind of toned down the spikes in the treble, and brings out the sub-bass and extends it beautifully.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #8,316 of 100,489
Are there any headphones out there that are as comfortable as the DT770 Pros? They were AMAZING for comfort, probably the only comfortable headphones I've ever had, but they sounded distant for lack of a better word. The M-Audio Q40s were the opposite in terms of comfort; Vice-grip like.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #8,317 of 100,489
Are there any headphones out there that are as comfortable as the DT770 Pros? They were AMAZING for comfort, probably the only comfortable headphones I've ever had, but they sounded distant for lack of a better word. The M-Audio Q40s were the opposite in terms of comfort; Vice-grip like.

The distance is because of a recessed mid section. Dt880s gets better but it's still a little recesed. maybe senn hd600/650?

edit: you can always try bending the headband on the m audio

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #8,318 of 100,489
Quote:

The wing system of the ATH phones seems to work well for some (me included). The AD900X are ridiculously comfortable to me.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #8,320 of 100,489
Quote:
I have my A900X packed away but I will take it out and do a better A/B for bass but from my experience with both the quantity is a level bigger on the WS99 but it is their quality  that really makes the WS99 a bass focused specialty. The triple air vents on the back of the cups really do a great job with the bass control and sub bass is brawny  when called for. Also the speed of bass is something else on the WS99. Which makes rock and metal sound absolutely tight with the drum kicks. So it is big and deep yet tight while brawny and speedy at the same time..Not your typical dynamics in the bass region which lives up to the name Solid Bass.

The A900X has the wider stage but the depth of music on the WS99 is second to none, which also adds to their lushness in sound.

Thanks for your comparison!

As I have understood, the WS99 is great for EDM and metal. But which is the better all rounder, A900x or WS99?

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #8,321 of 100,489
Do you own the A900X? If so the WS99 is more in your face and has a deeper bigger sound to them. I did a quick A/B just now and indeed both have a very versatile sound it will more or less depend on if you want one that you can use outdoors.. The WS99 can be used outdoors while the A900X is more for the home. The WS99 does have the bigger brawnier bass region and what I stated earlier was correct.. The A900X has a bit more treble energy and less bass over the WS99 with the wider stage.

I like the fact that the WS99 has a different sound over the A900X or the AD900X.. Happy to own all of em. Each one has a different sound. I have all 3 hooked up to my MX2 and all 3 sound great to my ears.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #8,322 of 100,489
To hear this through the CKS1000 or the A900x = WOW!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #8,323 of 100,489
Female vocals are indeed a specialty of the ATH sound. Seems your enjoying your new A900X..Would you believe me if I told you I was the first person to buy one of those when they came out at a crazy $335 shipped from Audiocubes. They cost half that now. Lol. The price for getting stuff first. I don't regret it though.. They do sound great and is one of my all time favorite cans.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #8,324 of 100,489
 I had to get off the AT train a year ago when I lost my job of 15 years that I still have not fixed, but my ckm500's still sound pretty kool with this material as well. 
Hard to listen to all this talk about the new AT gems without being able to partake though.
Quote:
To hear this through the CKS1000 or the A900x = WOW!!

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #8,325 of 100,489
Aha you and I are in the same boat my friend. I am glad you are still enjoying the CKM500..I throw those in once in a while too and they still sound great to me. Keep your spirits up and things will get better for you.

On that note. I have decided to take a completely new turn in my life and I am now enrolled in medical school.. Dr Evil approves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back