The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #6,601 of 99,839
Quote:
Haha! No problems with you
smily_headphones1.gif
. Just a recent financial... mmm... sinkhole.

I am definitely keeping a beady eye on these (alongside the exchange rate). And if I sell the S500s, I'll be able to afford them for sure.

Best of luck through all of that! Financial crap is never fun.

If you don't like the 500s (and that treble is very overbearing, I agree.), selling them might not be a bad option. I know I stopped using mine as soon as I got these.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #6,602 of 99,839
Quote:
And there you have the Somic EFi-82 MT. 

I've said it once and I've said it again.

They're what happens when you take the HA-S500 and remove everything people don't like about it (over-the-top bass, grating treble, no soundstage, on-ear design).

I think that the EFi-82 PRO was marketed towards audio enthusiasts and engineers, but since most enthusiasts and engineers are listening to more established brands, they remarketed it as a flashy portable set to target your typical consumers. I could see them adding a bit of dampening to give it a more consumer-oriented sound, but I'd doubt they'd rehash the drivers (that'd cost a lot of money).

And you have Cash problems? You have a problem with me? I thought we were cool! 
wink_face.gif

S500, over the top bass, grating treble, no soundstage, on ear design.....I don't have any of that with my modds!

I'll say it again, my modded S500's, HM5 pads with dampening, O-rings, silver copper hybrid cable is still better than the Somic's. HM5 pads.  Soundstage on the S500 is the same as the Somic's, but the S500 has more detail and air around instraments, same imaging as the Somic's, bass is equal on both.  The Somic's win vocals being a bit better with them being more center focused in their separate space.  Like them both though......but I don't think more burn in, listening will bring me more detail and highs than what they have right now, with the Somic's.  Consider my gears are way ahead of what most of headfi will be using for source!

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #6,603 of 99,839
I replaced the pads, but I can't spend extra money on cables and stuff. But it isn't exactly a fair comparison either, is it? Tweak out the Somics and they may well be better. But Somic vs JVC stock is a fairer comparison.

I'm just so very sensitive to the treble on the s500 that I can't listen for very long. I can't say I especially care about soundstage because I like to feel like I am on the stage rather than in the audience :D. Improved vocals would also be great. I think the s500 are awesome for electronic music, but they just hurt my ears with music that's more to my taste.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #6,604 of 99,839
Quote:
S500, over the top bass, grating treble, no soundstage, on ear design.....I don't have any of that with my modds!

I'll say it again, my modded S500's, HM5 pads with dampening, O-rings, silver copper hybrid cable is still better than the Somic's. HM5 pads.  Soundstage on the S500 is the same as the Somic's, but the S500 has more detail and air around instraments, same imaging as the Somic's, bass is equal on both.  The Somic's win vocals being a bit better with them being more center focused in their separate space.  Like them both though......but I don't think more burn in, listening will bring me more detail and highs than what they have right now, with the Somic's.  Consider my gears are way ahead of what most of headfi will be using for source!

OK, first it was orgasmic...now this?

Make up my mind, cute. XD

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #6,605 of 99,839
Quote:
OK, first it was orgasmic...now this?

Make up my mind, cute. XD

Out of context, female vocals on the Somic's "orgasmic", yes. not the Somic in general though, I said in my post the Somic's were better than the S500 vocals.......female vocats on the Somic's, what I said stands!  No mind to make up, said what I said and sticking to it!  You couldn't possibly hear what I hear with your source in comparison though!  Your S500's are stock?  No match for my S500!

Despite that, I like the Somic's!  If I could upgrade the crappy red cable, my impressions might change!

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #6,606 of 99,839
Quote:

Out of context, female vocals on the Somic's "orgasmic", yes. not the Somic in general though, I said in my post the Somic's were better than the S500 vocals.......female vocats on the Somic's, what I said stands!  No mind to make up, said what I said and sticking to it!  You couldn't possibly hear what I hear with your source in comparison though!  Your S500's are stock?  No match for my S500!

Despite that, I like the Somic's!  If I could upgrade the crappy red cable, my impressions might change!

I
 take it you're not noticing any differences in burn-in?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #6,607 of 99,839
Quote:
I take it you're not noticing any differences in burn-in?

I believe in burn in yes, but remember I started listening to the Somic's with modded HM5 pads, until yesterday when I removed the mods.  They were much better without the dampening......so can't really speak on burn in changes.  The bass on the Somic's was much better, tighter, less boomy than the S500's initially.  I think it is the bass on the S500 that goes through the most change with burn in.  I changed the cable on the S500 about a month after I got them, but the new cable requires burn in as well, the tip and ring use pure silver wire, and the returns use copper.  It is the silver wire that needs about 200hrs to fully break in.  I am not yeat at 100hrs on the Somic's so they may undergo some sublte changes with more time, but I really don't expect much change in the highs.  If I changes wire on the Somic's to the same silver and copper hybrid I have on my S500, I would certainly look for them to have increased detail, such as the S500.  Understand, that I am not comparing any stock S500 to the Somic's.  I sold my backup pair of S500 yesterday, with just copper wire, and I put the stock pads on them for shipping.......no comparison there at all, the Somic's win in that comparison, all round.  Look at comparisons I am making and don't be so offended about your Somic's and my S500 current pair, not a fair comparison there at all.  The real test is coming, my AD900X will be here in the next couple of hours.......let the games begin!

Oh, time for a break, the postman is at the door!

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #6,610 of 99,839
Quote:

I believe in burn in yes, but remember I started listening to the Somic's with modded HM5 pads, until yesterday when I removed the mods.  They were much better without the dampening......so can't really speak on burn in changes.  The bass on the Somic's was much better, tighter, less boomy than the S500's initially.  I think it is the bass on the S500 that goes through the most change with burn in.  I changed the cable on the S500 about a month after I got them, but the new cable requires burn in as well, the tip and ring use pure silver wire, and the returns use copper.  It is the silver wire that needs about 200hrs to fully break in.  I am not yeat at 100hrs on the Somic's so they may undergo some sublte changes with more time, but I really don't expect much change in the highs.  If I changes wire on the Somic's to the same silver and copper hybrid I have on my S500, I would certainly look for them to have increased detail, such as the S500.  Understand, that I am not comparing any stock S500 to the Somic's.  I sold my backup pair of S500 yesterday, with just copper wire, and I put the stock pads on them for shipping.......no comparison there at all, the Somic's win in that comparison, all round.  Look at comparisons I am making and don't be so offended about your Somic's and my S500 current pair, not a fair comparison there at all.  The real test is coming, my AD900X will be here in the next couple of hours.......let the games begin!

Oh, time for a break, the postman is at the door!

You do realize that I'm seriously joking about 90% of this stuff and giving you total crap for using the word "orgasmic" to describe a headphone. Seriously. Orgasmic. 

Orgasmic.

Reminds me of a time that I called the 1/4 inch jack of the AKG K240M "sexy" very loudly in a crowded diner. 

I bet your cute-modded HA-S500s are freaking amazuh-zing, so it's an honor that they're even in the same league.

Heck, even being better than the stock HA-S500s is quite a feat.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #6,611 of 99,839
Quote:
Anyway to have a stronger clamp on the 900x?  I feel like it keeps sliding down when I'm wearing it. The two anchors on top doesn't offer much resistance.

Ya you can bend the top band inward. Gotta be careful though but I seen some posts of guys doing that.. Or you can always wear a cap or something that will make your noggin a bit bigger.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #6,612 of 99,839
For the guys that are getting the AD900X.  The most changes happen in 24 hours of burn in. You will get a more improved version of what you hear out of box with an overnight burn in. Then the sound smooths out much more so with a longer burn in period after that. But even on open box you should be able to hear that air that stage..It only gets better and better from that point on. I have around 200 hours of burn in on my pair. These cans will always be a part of my line up. Even if I move onto higher end cans. There is nothing like these cans.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #6,613 of 99,839
Got the AD900X out of the box.......................................and...............................................

Love the sound of the "open back", giving an initial run of my 40 or so test tracks, for the different parts of the sound spectrum!

Did I say I love the sound of the "open back"?  Hell yeah I do.....biggest sound stage that I have heard, so far!  Amazing!

Pros:  Soundstage, Comfort .....................................They do remind me of the ATH sound of my modded ATH-W1000X, A2000X and DHC cable upgrade on those!  But I sold those when I got the S5500's and modded them!

What I am hearing initially, very first impressions, "where is the meat on them bones"?  Very lacking in low end and dynamics, instraments don't sound real good to me right now with these.  Vocals OK, but I was expecting a more real natural sound.  I had to EQ up +6DB at 30hz, +4db at 60hz, and +4db at 125hz, just to get the low end comparable to my S500 and my Somic's, I don't EQ anything above that.....but they could sure use more weight all around for my taste.  Maybe that will come with more burn in, they do sound super smooth.  Even compared to the Somic's out of box, I think these things could be called Somic Lite right now.  The Somic has more weight all round, and sounds way more natural.  Other than the soundstage, I am not awestruck with the sound at this juncture, will see what happens over the next week and some burn in.  I don't know how more burn in will bring more weight to the sound....more than +4db on the low end would be a lot of ground to make up, and I would have to hear less of the artificial type sound I am hearing right now!  Don't think a cable upgrade here will be the answer to what they need.  I think AD2000X drivers with the 7N OCC pure copper voice coils would bring the weight that the AD900X needs.  But they are probably very good for their price range!  I have alot of music with varying background instraments that are just not natural sounding, and I need more texture in the vocals!  They sound very laid back to these ears!

Just giving my opinion here......many of the current AD900X owners will most likely disagree, I'm fine with that......we all hear differently!

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #6,614 of 99,839
You have good hearing so I expected a luke warm initial impression. Believe it or not. They don't impress on open box. It is what happens after burn in that will astound..

The sound is compressed on open box. At least that is what I initially heard. So that is why they sound kinda awkward at first.. Let it burn in for the rest of the day and then try them out later... Ghost mentioned the same thing too. Noting really crazy from open box...It does show you why we all love em though soon enough.  Like I mentioned the biggest changes happen within 24 hours so give it that much and the compressed sound folds out like a open fan. It is quite exciting once you hear that open up. It might happen later today even. The bass does become much more fuller too. Burn them and hear them. You will see.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #6,615 of 99,839
Quote:
Got the AD900X out of the box.......................................and...............................................

Just giving my opinion here......many of the current AD900X owners will most likely disagree, I'm fine with that......we all hear differently!

I'll be more interested in your impressions after some burn in! Get them burning!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back