The discovery thread!
Jan 28, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #6,586 of 101,535
Quote:
Ok, the ELE most definitely has an amp in the chain somewhere. The bloody thing drives my 50 ohm GR07 to deafening levels, at under 30% (!)

Overall, it's good, especially for $19. I'm looking towards an incoming amp before I really judge it, but I'm impressed...

Dsnuts strikes again!

I'm using the EFI-82MTs with it and while being a 64 Ohm headphone some songs I have to lower the volume to 10% because it gets really loud. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #6,587 of 101,535
Huge props to gibosi for getting this whole eBay thing sorted out! 

Now that they're back on eBay, people don't really have much of an excuse! 
biggrin.gif

NinjaCat, how do they sound with the ELE DAC?

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #6,588 of 101,535
I'm using the EFI-82MTs with it and while being a 64 Ohm headphone some songs I have to lower the volume to 10% because it gets really loud. 

They're strange thing though is that my 250 ohm DT880 sounds really weak from it, even at 100%

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #6,590 of 101,535
Quote:
FREE!!!

"Shipping:
FREE ePacket delivery from China | See details See details about international shipping here.  

Item location:
SHENZHEN, China

Ships to:
United States, Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan See exclusions "

thanks! i´m in exclusions 
mad.gif
. and price went up....
cheaper on taobao

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6,591 of 101,535
Did anyone ever find out if the Pro version of the EFi-82 is pretty much the same thing as the MT? That SC317 looks exactly like the Pro model and I wonder if it might have the same drivers. It does seem like the plugs are slightly different and, of course, the earpads.

I find the red colour terribly garish, so not so keen on MT.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6,592 of 101,535
Shipping to: United States, Europe, Canada, Australia, Japan
Excludes: Africa, Asia, Middle East, North America, Southeast Asia, South America, Albania, Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, Vatican City State, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa

Well that's a bit confusing.

So they ship to the United States and Canada, but they don't ship to North America.

And they ship to Japan, but not Asia.

And they ship to Europe, but exclude almost every European nation.

confused.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #6,593 of 101,535
Quote:
Did anyone ever find out if the Pro version of the EFi-82 is pretty much the same thing as the MT? That SC317 looks exactly like the Pro model and I wonder if it might have the same drivers. It does seem like the plugs are slightly different and, of course, the earpads.

I e-mailed Somic asking about it, but got no response.

Customer support is not their forte.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #6,594 of 101,535
Argg. So tempted to get the EFi-82s... but I just got the MH463s. I mainly picked the MH463s over the EFi because I thought the EFi-82s were closed and I was looking for an open pair. Now you guys are telling me that they're semi-open. !_! 

Quote:

Cash recommends changing the pads anyways so most of the red will be gone, just the cable & headband padding. Come on... you know you want to buy it.... 
atsmile.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #6,595 of 101,535
Quote:
Argg. So tempted to get the EFi-82s... but I just got the MH463s. I mainly picked the MH463s over the EFi because I thought the EFi-82s were closed and I was looking for an open pair. Now you guys are telling me that they're semi-open. !_! 

Cash recommends changing the pads anyways so most of the red will be gone, just the cable & headband padding. Come on... you know you want to buy it.... 
atsmile.gif

It's semi-open, so it's not like you'll be taking it outside much, anyway.

Besides, you can't see them when they're on your head! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #6,596 of 101,535
But I don't wanna replace the cable and it's uuuugly :p.

I might need to wait a while for our currency to stop being so pathetic. I might be waiting quite a while...

I can't buy from eBay due to those guys not shipping to, well, most of the world.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,597 of 101,535
Quote:
But I don't wanna replace the cable and it's uuuugly :p.

I might need to wait a while for our currency to stop being so pathetic. I might be waiting quite a while...

I can't buy from eBay due to those guys not shipping to, well, most of the world.

They're like the Snuggie of the headphone world. I wouldn't be caught dead with it in public, but at home when no one' around, it's basically the best thing ever.

Does Aliexpress ship to you?

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #6,598 of 101,535
Haha, true enough. I'd still love to know... Perhaps the drivers are tuned differently or something. It's a bit odd to give them a completely different model number if the difference is only cosmetic.

Aliexpress does ship to me, but I do have cash problems at the moment so I'm going to wait a little. Also, I'm trying to force myself to save up for an awesome pair of IEMs.

Perhaps if I sell my S500s, I can look into the Somics. I just can't tolerate the treble of those anymore and these sound like then take what's good about the S500 and remove that grating treble.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #6,599 of 101,535
Quote:
Haha, true enough. I'd still love to know... Perhaps the drivers are tuned differently or something. It's a bit odd to give them a completely different model number if the difference is only cosmetic.

Aliexpress does ship to me, but I do have cash problems at the moment so I'm going to wait a little. Also, I'm trying to force myself to save up for an awesome pair of IEMs.

Perhaps if I sell my S500s, I can look into the Somics. I just can't tolerate the treble of those anymore and these sound like then take what's good about the S500 and remove that grating treble.

And there you have the Somic EFi-82 MT. 

I've said it once and I've said it again.

They're what happens when you take the HA-S500 and remove everything people don't like about it (over-the-top bass, grating treble, no soundstage, on-ear design).

I think that the EFi-82 PRO was marketed towards audio enthusiasts and engineers, but since most enthusiasts and engineers are listening to more established brands, they remarketed it as a flashy portable set to target your typical consumers. I could see them adding a bit of dampening to give it a more consumer-oriented sound, but I'd doubt they'd rehash the drivers (that'd cost a lot of money).

And you have Cash problems? You have a problem with me? I thought we were cool! 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back