The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #5,268 of 100,542
Nov 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #5,269 of 100,542
Quote:
lol...kiteki...lol

anyway. for the ELE, which cable should i get? cant use the printer one

I noticed your local walmarts should have decent audio cables. Belkins for $10 or so.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Gold-10-Foot-Hi-Speed-Cable/dp/B00062UKIY/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354214111&sr=1-2&keywords=belkin+usb+cable  Something like this. Or this

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F3U133V-06-GLD-6-Foot-Hi-Speed-Cable/dp/B000621N26/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354214111&sr=1-3&keywords=belkin+usb+cable  Even cheaper. 6ft.

Nov 29, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #5,270 of 100,542
Listening to the Sabre Dac some more using my HA-S500.. The sound quality is quite excellent..Glad I made the purchase..If you end up trying one I doubt anyone will be disappointed with the sound quality. This being said. The build quality on the dac is kinda so so however.

The all plastic housing looks kinda flimsy. This is where the Ele dac is clearly the winner.. I dig the all aluminum box the Ele dac comes in. I suppose if the Hifimediy folks used an all aluminum housing it would add to the cost. So this dac is all about function over looks. Mine has what looks like a dig in the middle of the plastic housing. It looks used. lol.

Listening to the same tracks using the Ele dac..Yup. It is like I stated before. Sounds just as nice..The clarity, the dynamics, musical depth, precision. It is all there. The only real difference I am hearing is the bit cooler tonality vs the bit warmer slant on the Hifimediy. Both are far from a cold sound or a dark one on the Hifimidey. The steak and the lobster. Both are excellent..

The Ele dac works really well with amps that give some warmth to the sounds. Both the E11 and the Bravo amp does this. While the hifimediy would benefit from more of a neutral one.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #5,272 of 100,542
Will try both amped and compare.

The Ele dac to the E11 is the fresh sushi to your hot sake.. Seriously a very nice pair. Considering these two will set someone back $70 or so for both These two just jives extremely well. This combo and the fact that the Ele has a bit of amping going on already will drive some hard to drive cans easily me thinks. All of my cans and earphones are easy to drive. Cus I drive easy. I would love to try a 250 ohm can or even a 300 ohm one on this configure. I bet it would sing with ease. More dynamics to your dynamics. More warm sake. 

The Hifimediy also sound tremendous using the E11. It is thick prime rib to your creamy potatoes. I think because the foundation for great sound is already established in these 2 Dacs it will only be amplified using something as simple as an E11. This sounds as good or better than anything I have heard to date..This sounds more like a full fledged system than anything this simple. Even though the tonality on the dac itself is warmer than the Ele. Using the E11 does not add to the warmth of the sound. It just expands the sound more than anything.. So excellent pairing.

I think for sheer value, build quality, ease of use. The Ele dac a no brainer especially if you have never used an external card to enhance your earphones and headphones.

For a bit more warmth to your sounds equally easy in usability and if you need 24bit ability. This is also a no brainer.. Both are excellent performers. I have a feeling we will see more and more comparisons to highly regarded dacs vs these 2 but for now just know. You guys are gonna get some excellent sound using either one.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #5,274 of 100,542
The Ele dac to the E11 is the fresh sushi to your hot sake.. Seriously a very nice pair. Considering these two will set someone back $70 or so for both These two just jives extremely well. This combo and the fact that the Ele has a bit of amping going on already will drive some hard to drive cans easily me thinks. All of my cans and earphones are easy to drive. Cus I drive easy. I would love to try a 250 ohm can or even a 300 ohm one on this configure. I bet it would sing with ease. More dynamics to your dynamics. More warm sake.

Being lazy... can you use the E11 while it's being charged?

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #5,275 of 100,542
You would figure that it would be able to but no. Once you hook up your usb to the E11 it is in charge mode and you can't use it. I don't know if you are gonna need a E11. That is unless you plan on using it on the go to amp your dap or phone. I would get your Dac first and see how you do. It is not a real necessity to use an amp with either one. Especially the Ele dac cus it has some amping going on anyways. Both will have too much volume being driven from computers.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #5,277 of 100,542
You would figure that it would be able to but no. Once you hook up your usb to the E11 it is in charge mode and you can't use it. I don't know if you are gonna need a E11. That is unless you plan on using it on the go to amp your dap or phone. I would get your Dac first and see how you do. It is not a real necessity to use an amp with either one. Especially the Ele dac cus it has some amping going on anyways. Both will have too much volume being driven from computers.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #5,278 of 100,542
Quote:
Here is more of a surprise. See that Ele dac next to it?..From what I am hearing the Sabre dac is not a clear winner here in sound. Another surprise. I suspected there was a bit of amping happening on the Ele dac. Now I know for sure.. The volume is much louder on the Ele dac meaning the sound is indeed being amped. The Sabre dac seems to be a pure Dac with zero amping of any kind.

Amped?  Output imedance might make the difference in volume.....check your specs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back