The discovery thread!
Nov 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #5,116 of 100,540
Quote:
Thanks Dsnuts, much appreciated. You made my decision easier.

Some advice for you if you plan on getting these there are a few things to do that I feel is a necessity. For one the stock hybrids restrict the sound a bit and so I would recommend tip rolling with some wider tips. These also require burn in. Out of the box they sound overly smooth. Highs improve a great amount with a solid burn in. They sound great out of a dap but even better with more power. Those big 16mm dynamics gives a lot of headroom for sound enhancement.

Nov 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #5,117 of 100,540
Some advice for you if you plan on getting these there are a few things to do that I feel is a necessity. For one the stock hybrids restrict the sound a bit and so I would recommend tip rolling with some wider tips. These also require burn in. Out of the box they sound overly smooth. Highs improve a great amount with a solid burn in. The sound great out of a dap but even better with more power. Those big 16mm dynamics gives a lot of headroom for sound enhancement.

I'm probably going to be picking up this DAC and the MH1Cs. I have a question for you though, when are you going to review the MDR-1Rs? I really want to get an over ear around the $300 price ran range and this was the pair I was looking at. I wanna be sure before I spend that much lol

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #5,118 of 100,540
Quote:
The Adagio IIIs have a very powerful full sound to them. They share some similarities to the CKS77 solid bass earphones in that they have a really upfront sound perhaps a bit more aggressive and just a wide stage. The bass end is also has much power and is only 2nd to the XB90EX in sub bass..These have even a wider stage than the XB90 but not as deep..I like em as well but I don't consider them an upgrade to the XB90s.

I thought the adagio's were a much cleaner sound, they go deep but dont bleed at all. I would imagine the mg7 would be similar in that respect but i dont know. they are more aggressive i agree so beware for sensitive ears (like me), with surprisingly great staging for their size.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #5,119 of 100,540
Quote:
Some advice for you if you plan on getting these there are a few things to do that I feel is a necessity. For one the stock hybrids restrict the sound a bit and so I would recommend tip rolling with some wider tips. These also require burn in. Out of the box they sound overly smooth. Highs improve a great amount with a solid burn in. They sound great out of a dap but even better with more power. Those big 16mm dynamics gives a lot of headroom for sound enhancement.

Could you maybe name some brands/tips that would be considered wide-bore? I know this was discussed and mentioned before but my search-fu is eluding me.

And on an additional note: how many hours of burn in would you recommend?

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5,120 of 100,540
Quote:
I'm probably going to be picking up this DAC and the MH1Cs. I have a question for you though, when are you going to review the MDR-1Rs? I really want to get an over ear around the $300 price ran range and this was the pair I was looking at. I wanna be sure before I spend that much lol

These are getting some mixed reviews. I think maybe people were expecting a $300 headphone to sound like a 1K one. I am in the middle of burning them in..You have to be a fan of forward mids with a rich sound to be a fan of these. They have a unique flavor among Sony headphones. I like them quite a bit especially that I payed $250 for a really nice looking silver and brown pair. These are an upgrade to my UE6000 for certain and there are guys that prefer the UE6000 over these. So I suppose it will be a matter of taste. If you can try one out at a Sony style store that is what I would do. Jude loves these as he mentioned on the MDR-1R thread how he prefers these to all the various new headphones that are out. Including M-100 and the Momentums to name a few.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5,121 of 100,540
Quote:
Could you maybe name some brands/tips that would be considered wide-bore? I know this was discussed and mentioned before but my search-fu is eluding me.

And on an additional note: how many hours of burn in would you recommend?

Try these. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm  I would do at least 150-200hours.. Basic rule. If your not listening to them throw them on a fairly loud source and let the music play.

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #5,122 of 100,540
Quote:
Try these. http://www.meelec.com/MEElectronics_Eartips_p/ts6-cmb-35-bk.htm  I would do at least 150-200hours.. Basic rule. If your not listening to them throw them on a fairly loud source and let the music play.

Thanks as always dsnuts!

Since my S500 have almost finished baking, I guess it's time for the XB90EX to take their place.

Btw: to those getting their new XB90EX, check out this track and wait till around 0:55. You'll then know why you got them :wink:

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #5,123 of 100,540
It is a guilty pleasure but it is very cool to have such deep dynamic mids with the sub bass. For bass iems I can say the XB90EX get my vote for best mids with the sub bass. That is what makes those worth getting. Think night club version of the MH1C. Using the Ele dac it is incredible with these iems. The sound of the Ele is a bit on the cool side but is a very clean one when paired up with a warmer sounding earphone the synergy is awesome with the 2. Sounds better than I have ever heard the XB90.

The party in your ears is intoxicating.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5,124 of 100,540
Quote:
It is a guilty pleasure but it is very cool to have such deep dynamic mids with the sub bass. For bass iems I can say the XB90EX get my vote for best mids with the sub bass. That is what makes these worth getting. Think night club version of the MH1C.

yeah they are great bass phones, though I dialed down the bass a bit and highs a bit higher :D I'd be satisfied with what I've got right now, but those fxz100s intrigue me too much :D

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #5,126 of 100,540
Quote:
It is a guilty pleasure but it is very cool to have such deep dynamic mids with the sub bass. For bass iems I can say the XB90EX get my vote for best mids with the sub bass. That is what makes those worth getting. Think night club version of the MH1C. Using the Ele dac it is incredible with these iems. The sound of the Ele is a bit on the cool side but is a very clean one when paired up with a warmer sounding earphone the synergy is awesome with the 2. Sounds better than I have ever heard the XB90.

The party in your ears is intoxicating.

Quote:
yeah they are great bass phones, though I dialed down the bass a bit and highs a bit higher :D I'd be satisfied with what I've got right now, but those fxz100s intrigue me too much :D

Not to be misunderstood: there surely is more to like with the XB90EX than just the bass. For instance I also really dig their headstage. I think this and more rolled together with the just unreal (sub)bass and considering the price I paid for them (~70€ new) is really a great and satisfying experience. (Though I'm still a bit weary of the highs but they keep improving and new tips and/or burn-in might make this issue finally go away
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Could you please post the artist and track name of that video? Living in Germany is like living behind the great firewall of china when it comes to music on youtube. Heck, we can't even watch the official gangnam style video...
Quote:
dam, fx3x are bangin

bangin as in "can't handle this" or as in "i have a damn subwoofer stuck inside my ears"
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #5,127 of 100,540
Quote:

Not to be misunderstood: there surely is more to like with the XB90EX than just the bass. For instance I also really dig their headstage. I think this and more rolled together with the just unreal (sub)bass and considering the price I paid for them (~70€ new) is really a great and satisfying experience. (Though I'm still a bit weary of the highs but they keep improving and new tips and/or burn-in might make this issue finally go away
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Could you please post the artist and track name of that video? Living in Germany is like living behind the great firewall of china when it comes to music on youtube. Heck, we can't even watch the official gangnam style video...
bangin as in "can't handle this" or as in "i have a damn subwoofer stuck inside my ears"
biggrin.gif

I noticed that during my stay in Munich last year :) every other video on youtube was blocked and I was like What??? :D 

ok, the tips will open up the sound, make it cleaner, less congested and more pleasant. Burn in with extra loud volume also helps a lot :) 

as for the vid, I can't seem to play it either :/ I guess the link is broken 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back