The discovery thread!
Nov 25, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #5,071 of 100,525
Quote:
Sibilance? for the XB90? I don't think so. I never heard any type ever. Try one size bigger tip..Preferably something with wider nozzle than the stock hybrids.

Quote:

Are you getting a good seal?

Quote:
no, no such problem what so ever :| I even cranked up highs by 3 db to get some more sparkle but no sibilance. there could be three reasons for that: recording is sibilant, source has some problems, or as already mentioned - there is poor seal going on. these iems are quite laid back, with rolled of highs, so the fact that you hear sibilance is strange. maybe you are too sensitive to high frequencies? how old are you?

Thanks for your responses guys.

I eliminated recording and source from the equation by trying different songs, different sources and also cross-referencing with the MH1C and S500. So seal seems to be indeed part of the problem. Until now  I used the large (light blue) hybrid tips because I also use the large tips on the MH1C and that is the best seal I ever got from an IEM. But those are meant to have a shallow insertion, which doesn't seem to work with the XB90EX. After a bit of trying, I settled for the smaller green hybrid. The seal with those is better but still not perfect and the highs do seem to relax a bit and make it more bearable. The seal is still not as good as with the MH1C however (nice 'plop' when pulling them out), so which tips would you recommend I should try to improve that?

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #5,072 of 100,525
Quote:

Thanks for your responses guys.

I eliminated recording and source from the equation by trying different songs, different sources and also cross-referencing with the MH1C and S500. So seal seems to be indeed part of the problem. Until now  I used the large (light blue) hybrid tips because I also use the large tips on the MH1C and that is the best seal I ever got from an IEM. But those are meant to have a shallow insertion, which doesn't seem to work with the XB90EX. After a bit of trying, I settled for the smaller green hybrid. The seal with those is better but still not perfect and the highs do seem to relax a bit and make it more bearable. The seal is still not as good as with the MH1C however (nice 'plop' when pulling them out), so which tips would you recommend I should try to improve that?

wider bore tips. you could try the tips from mh1c...

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #5,073 of 100,525
Well that's done it, i've bought the mh1c and now paid for the elle dac, dsnuts you're killing me!!

Have to say the mh1c didn't impress me at first, only with burn in am i finding they are opening up, and the bass is coming through better.

Still hate the cable mind.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #5,076 of 100,525
Has anyone compared the ELE DAC with the Sabre?

Fairly indirectly, yes.  I've compared a Hifiman HM-101 with an AckoDAC AKD-23S, similar parts.

The PCM270X chips are a bit disrespected, and compared to standard sound-cards, but I found the Hifiman pretty exciting, I kinda flipped out.

The Sabre is more accurate, clean, sterile, holographic, and higher resolution.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5,077 of 100,525
Oh damn. The synergy is unreal. For SHE3580 fans. You MUST get a Ele dac to try out with the SHE3580. Absolutely fantastic.

The SHE3580 is enhanced in every way possible.  The mids are much more present. Bass more tight. Better clarity and detail. Sound is absolutely stunning using the Ele dac. Stunning.!!

Now I don't know what has the better synergy. The MH1C. XB90EX or the SHE3580..Just the fact that this little dac enhances these 3 earphones to sound like a new version of themselves says a lot about this little $18 Dac..Not just these 3 but HA-S500. My UE6000, Sony MDR-1R. XBA-3. CKS77. I haven't heard anything that sounds even remotely mediocre on this dac..Unbelievable.

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #5,078 of 100,525
Quote:
Oh damn. The synergy is unreal. For SHE3580 fans. You MUST get a Ele dac to try out with the SHE3580. Absolutely fantastic.

The SHE3580 is enhanced in every way possible.  The mids are much more present. Bass more tight. Better clarity and detail. Sound is absolutely stunning using the Ele dac. Stunning.!!

Now I don't know what has the better synergy. The MH1C. XB90EX or the SHE3580..Just the fact that this little dac enhances these 3 earphones to sound like a new version of themselves says a lot about this little $18 Dac..Not just these 3 but HA-S500. My UE6000, Sony MDR-1R. XBA-3. CKS77. I haven't heard anything that sounds even remotely mediocre on this dac..Unbelievable.

thank you sir! 
beerchug.gif
 but, is the speed also improved? pls

Nov 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5,079 of 100,525
Well I don't know about improvement in speed. The physical limitations of the SHE3580 is just that. We gotta remember these are $10 earphones. But from what I am hearing. I don't think any single one of you guys will be disappointed with the outcome. Listening to one of my favorite trance tunes now. It sounds as good as it does on my MDr-1R. Lol and we are talking about a $10 earphone to a $300 Headphone..Listening to Pantera #$%King hostile which has much double drums happening is a very fast complex metal tune.. Sounds great..I think the abilities of the little SHE3580 is being taxed here. It sounds terrific with even a better sense of space to boot..I would not hesitate to get yourself a Ele dac. The overall sound is tighter cleaner and just sounds better to me. It is enhancement in the truest form. Almost want to say it sounds amped even.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5,081 of 100,525
Not really..You can use your external usb or printer cable. This being said I do like my new Pangea USB audio cable much more so.  Now there is such thing as a bad usb cable though. The cable I got with my Fire Phoenix dac was causing my unit to over heat and shut off by itself in the middle of a track. As soon as I replaced that cable with one I had on hand everything was fine.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #5,082 of 100,525
Quote:
Well I don't know about improvement in speed. The physical limitations of the SHE3580 is just that. We gotta remember these are $10 earphones. But from what I am hearing. I don't think any single one of you guys will be disappointed with the outcome. Listening to one of my favorite trance tunes now. It sounds as good as it does on my MDr-1R. Lol and we are talking about a $10 earphone to a $300 Headphone..Listening to Pantera #$%King hostile which has much double drums happening is a very fast complex metal tune.. Sounds great..I think the abilities of the little SHE3580 is being taxed here. It sounds terrific with even a better sense of space to boot..I would not hesitate to get yourself a Ele dac. The overall sound is tighter cleaner and just sounds better to me. It is enhancement in the truest form. Almost want to say it sounds amped even.

thank you very much!

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5,083 of 100,525
Ya I am quite astonished with the level of sound this little dac is throwing out. It does lack a bit of smoothness and definition that much higher end units throw out but for what it is for the cash what can I say. It sounds great with everything I have thrown at it from full sized cans to $10 earphones. Music sounds better and more refined using the unit and this coming from a little gadgety small dac is astonishing..

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #5,084 of 100,525
Dear Dsnuts,

I know you've discovered many excellent Audio Technica IEM's over time, I was just wondering about the CKM99 in your profile... how does it compare to your other A-T's, and... which one is the most r-shaped or mid-centric?  I know you've got your hearing very intact, and the new toy effect should have worn off on all those A-T's by now, so I'm curious. =]

ktk

Nov 25, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #5,085 of 100,525
This is a good question. I love the sound of my CKM99. One of the most overlooked iems imo. Mostly due to guys thinking they are overly bright for some reason.If you see one for sale for $100 on the sale forums I would snap one up .My pair has gone through some rigorous burn in and they sound great. Now for your sound preference the one earphone that fits the bill is the CKM33 actually. They have a similar sound signature to the open AD700, AD900. A flat sound with highs and mid emphasis more the the bass end. But the problem with them is for a little more money you can get a much more refined CKM500 which has a similar  SQ to the CKM99 in refinement and sound. I prefer the highs and mids of the CKM500 over the a bit more V shape that is the CKM99. The mids of the CKM99 is some of the smoothest effortless for dynamics and is the reason why I like them a lot. A high end mid section perhaps.  Both these have bass emphasis so while not a true R type curve in sound. Knowing how both sound with my Sony Dap which you are going to get real soon. If you can try out a CKM500 I would. It might surprise you.

If you want to try out a great AT earphone for the price. Check out a CKM500. Now since AT has released this new CKN microdriver earphones maybe wait a bit to see how those fair. I expect that these should compete well with JVCs FXD earphones. I hope even one better. Again nothing like competition to spur on greater sound. I do plan on trying one out when they are released so we will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back