The discovery thread!
Nov 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #4,846 of 100,468
I'm looking into getting a nice amp/dac that's a balanced setup but the ones I want they're in the $400 to $800 range, man when I'm able to get one along with lossless music its going to be audio heaven.

Is the amp you use the O2?

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #4,847 of 100,468
Actually. Here is a little interesting tid bit.. This is another set up I am using right next to my fire phoenix.

So my Panguea USB was $20 and this cable here was $10. Cuz I had to get free shipping you know.  It is a 3.5 to RCA. Perfect for this set up.

Media bridge 3.5-RCA out. Excellent for $10. Danny Bai also uses this Bravo Ocean. He was telling me the other day he doesn't even touch his O2 anymore. This is hooked up to my Z1060 using this cable. Excellent sound. I would say is even more easier set up than my other set up and sound almost as good actually. This little tube amp sound amazing on even a clip. It brings what ever source you have to a whole new level in sound.. The Fire Phoenix DAC end hooked up to this amp is another story.

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4,848 of 100,468
Quote:
 The sound is nothing short of phenomenal. But I have some others that are on order that I will be comparing to very soon. .

Could it be the Aune T1!?!?! 
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #4,849 of 100,468
The AUNE T1 cost me about the same amount as the complete Phoenix set up with new cable. So which one will come out on top? That is the question. Well I did get an upgraded tube I ordered for the AUNE T1. I hope earlier next week I will find out. If that ends up not sounding as good. I might have to send it packing.. I do consider the Phoenix set up a solid base set up for me so it is good that I have it to compare the AUNE T1 to.. Cirrus Logic n op amp vs Burr Brown n tube. Fight!!

So you guys might be wondering why I am all of a sudden going hog wild on the hardware.? Simple
Gotta get ready for it!

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #4,850 of 100,468
Quote:
Actually. Here is a little interesting tid bit.. This is another set up I am using right next to my fire phoenix.

So my Panguea USB was $20 and this cable here was $10. Cuz I had to get free shipping you know.  It is a 3.5 to RCA. Perfect for this set up.

No joking, I have ALWAYS thought about picking an Ocean up. Might do it now ^_^

Nov 17, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #4,852 of 100,468
Quote:
The thing that cable haters don't realize is that you cannot change the conductivity (ie, silver/copper/unobtainium), without changing the flow of impulses. A cable change will ALWAYS have an effect on the output of the end device.

Now whether the changes are audible/visible, or even desirable, are all subjective. However, there is absolutely no denying the effect of cables.

Source: multiple physics classes.

Do cable have an influence on the physical signal transfer (voltage/current/frequency)? Yes. Can this have an effect on the data signal transfer? In certain situations it might. Does this matter for the sound quality of digital audio/video signals? No.
A digital data distribution either works or it works not (works as in "the receiving end gets the data the sender send out"). There is no ambiguity like in analog signals. Bad cable may lead to the loss of data but that would only result in gaps/skipping in your audio (or video) playback and not in any kind of quality difference in the analog audio data that is decoded from the digital data.

(Graph is for HDMI<->Picture but the principal is the same for USB<->Audio)
(Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57540275-221/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/ )

Quote:
Seriously, this has been debated a lot. I was talking to a guy who was completely sure that all hdmi cables are the same and it doesn't matter how much it costs - then I connected my ps3 to his tv using two different hdmi cables and I shut him up. The one was a $5 regular hdmi cable the other was a $20 flat hdmi cable and not only the quality was different but the contrast of the picture.

edit: I'm not saying that all those insane $100+ cables are worth it but something around 20 bucks is always better than the generic cheap stuff

Quote:
Well, I seriously don't even want to read it. The fact is that I have 2 cables that output different image quality. Just the fact that there is a big contrast change that is noticable right away and everyone I showed it to can see it proves that there's difference from cable to cable. I also thought before all hdmi cables are the same but I can't argue with my eyes.

I won't even start to argue with you on this. You obviously have your believes set straight and I don't argue on believes of any any kind. If you ever want to change your mind though the links provided by atomik are a really good read.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #4,854 of 100,468
Quote:
Do cable have an influence on the physical signal transfer (voltage/current/frequency)? Yes. Can this have an effect on the data signal transfer? In certain situations it might. Does this matter for the sound quality of digital audio/video signals? No.
A digital data distribution either works or it works not (works as in "the receiving end gets the data the sender send out"). There is no ambiguity like in analog signals. Bad cable may lead to the loss of data but that would only result in gaps/skipping in your audio (or video) playback and not in any kind of quality difference in the analog audio data that is decoded from the digital data.

(Graph is for HDMI<->Picture but the principal is the same for USB<->Audio)
(Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57540275-221/still-more-reasons-why-all-hdmi-cable-are-the-same/ )

I won't even start to argue with you on this. You obviously have your believes set straight and I don't argue on believes of any any kind. If you ever want to change your mind though the links provided by atomik are a really good read.

I don't want to argue too. I know the science behind an hdmi cable. But I'm not a blind believer. So, not argue with me but explain to me how come that with the flat hdmi cable I had to change the contrast and brightness on my tv to make the picture look as the other cable. I'm not talking about imaginery difference - I'm talking about a lot warmer colors and darker blacks. That's how I convinced that friend - his tv wasn't LED and the blacks were kinda grey and with the flat cable it became so black, that even he had to agree there is difference. Also direct A/B comparison shoed that one cable made the picture smoother and the other slightly grainy. I have absolutely no idea how this happens but maybe you can enilghten because it happens and proves there's difference. I guess I can't say that the generic hdmi cable that cost 3 bucks is faulty because it plays everything fine and according to the science and you it doesn't matter if it uses the cheapest and lowest quality materials in the world.

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #4,856 of 100,468
Quote:

This is the crux of the entire argument.

I don't know that much about digital transfers to have an assertive opinion, but when it comes to interconnects like iem cables, there has to be a difference when the material is changed.

Let's leave it at that

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #4,857 of 100,468
Its not a big deal. I think it makes sense to get audio cables for audio. And not use a USB from my harddrive..I am somewhere in the middle of the whole thing I like my cable 10X more than my older usb but at the same time I would always just try n get the best deal you can for an upgraded cable just for the physical better quality alone. The sound benefits are debatable. I hear better extension in the sound. I also think this is due to my Fire Phoenix broken worked in as well. Both factors.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4,858 of 100,468
Quote:

No joking, I have ALWAYS thought about picking an Ocean up. Might do it now ^_^

It is a nice little amp. I am actually very happy with my bravo Ocean quite a bit actually..It has a really nice smooth musical tone using my daps.. Vocals and instruments sound great. It doesn't color my Daps sounds it does amplify the traits or sound characteristics of the daps so transparency is there. I am sure it is no where close to high end multiple tube amps and this amp is simple as is the sound but it very enjoyable for the cost.. A good amp it is. With tunable possibilities from tubes..

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:22 AM Post #4,859 of 100,468
Re: Cables (as well as burn-in and most sources and amps)

Have someone help you conduct a double-blind test. After you fail you can then be happy knowing that you've eliminated most factors in the pursuit of a good sound and concentrate (time/money) on transducers, the factor that actually does really vary. Though I never needed to do this personally it has worked on others.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #4,860 of 100,468
Hi-I've been reading here about the Bravo Ocean, sounds appealing. On anohter thread there is a group sale on Matrix M stage amp, solid state, retail $268, group buy site for $165, http://massdrop.com/matrix-headphone-amp. Both sound tempting, anyone heard both amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back