The discovery thread!
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #3,736 of 100,670
Listening to the Adagio III as I type.  The bass is big and impactful.  It's a different bass than XB90's because its not all sub-bass like the sony's.  There's lots of air moving through here for sure. The stage is big, its deep and wide.  Mids and highs sound very good too.  Really liking these right now and they are keepers.  This one is for the audiophile bassheads too.  Using the Auveo tips but sony hybrids sound pretty good too. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,737 of 100,670
Quote:
Listening to the Adagio III as I type.  The bass is big and impactful.  It's a different bass than XB90's because its not all sub-bass like the sony's.  There's lots of air moving through here for sure. The stage is big, its deep and wide.  Mids and highs sound very good too.  Really liking these right now and they are keepers.  This one is for the audiophile bassheads too.  Using the Auveo tips but sony hybrids sound pretty good too. 

well, sony does have mid-bass, it's just flat and not pronounced. This isn't the same for the sub-bass though :) would really like to audition those FA earphones - they got me intrigued. especially the heaven IV....

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #3,738 of 100,670
Quote:

Thought you would like it DannyBai. Yes it's a different sound than what most of us have heard out of a bassy earphone. Powerful sounding is the the best work I can come up with. The Sony hybrids will tame the bass a bit (not by much though) helping balance it a little bit with the rest of the sound spectrum. I haven't heard a earphone this bassy with such a wide soundstage since the IE8, yet it's much clearer in sound than the IE8 in my opinion. Can't wait for more impressions by you after burn-in.

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3,740 of 100,670
Quote:

Just out of curiosity... I ordered the xb90ex earlier this week because I like a deep sounding bass. I also like a powerful midbass punch as I mostly listen to techno music. So I was wondering if it is possible to create this impactful punch by changing the midbass ranges in the equalizer a bit? What do you advice? Thanks in advance!

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #3,741 of 100,670
Quote:
Just out of curiosity... I ordered the xb90ex earlier this week because I like a deep sounding bass. I also like a powerful midbass punch as I mostly techno music. So I was wondering if it is possible to create this impactful punch by changing the midbass ranges in the equalizer a bit? What do you advice? Thanks in advance!

I guess the sonys have enough juice in them to respond adequately to EQing. I haven't really tried, because it's just the way I like -mid bass is not emphasized and stays out of the mids and highs, but sub-bass is a real monster :D only thing that comes close to it is the Radius ddm2 knockoff able planets...

but as is, the punch is more than adequate, at least for me... midbass is there when it is called or and it is present with authority... I think you'll be hard pressed to find it lacking in anything...

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #3,742 of 100,670
Quote:
well, sony does have mid-bass, it's just flat and not pronounced. This isn't the same for the sub-bass though :) would really like to audition those FA earphones - they got me intrigued. especially the heaven IV....

Thanks for explanation of the mid-bass.  I'm just glad it's flat as I just tested it with eq and didn't care for it.  As for the FA's, the adagio is my first venture into the brand and it has me curious on their armatures as well.  Would love to hear the $1k plus earphones, but it's never going to happen.  I will be getting the S,A and SA on Monday to audition though.  I'll report after I have a listen.  
Quote:
Thought you would like it DannyBai. Yes it's a different sound than what most of us have heard out of a bassy earphone. Powerful sounding is the the best work I can come up with. The Sony hybrids will tame the bass a bit (not by much though) helping balance it a little bit with the rest of the sound spectrum. I haven't heard a earphone this bassy with such a wide soundstage since the IE8, yet it's much clearer in sound than the IE8 in my opinion. Can't wait for more impressions by you after burn-in.

I know Swimsonny reviewed these awhile back but didn't find his thread until you mentioned them here.  I agree on describing these as powerful and I am preferring these to the CKS90's and vPulse's that I also liked for bass.  The Sony's are different to most bassy earphones for me to keep them on a separate thrown.  The hybrids do tame down the bass and I like the differences between them and the Auveo's and to me it's worth changing them on occasion because both sound good so far.  I'll let me burn in overnight and see how they sound tomorrow.  
Quote:
Just out of curiosity... I ordered the xb90ex earlier this week because I like a deep sounding bass. I also like a powerful midbass punch as I mostly techno music. So I was wondering if it is possible to create this impactful punch by changing the midbass ranges in the equalizer a bit? What do you advice? Thanks in advance!

I don't ever use eq but tried it out since you asked.  I messed around with it for awhile and this setting seemed to get more mid-bass out and it sounded pretty good to me.  

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,745 of 100,670
A quick note on the Adagio's.  As I'm mostly listening to heavy beat oriented electronic music, the mixture of mid-bass and sub-bass on these things are just awesome.  I'm not much for mid-bass but there's such good sub-bass mixed in these things that I'm enjoying the heck out of them.  I think the big stage helps a lot too.  Not the same when you throw in vocals though.  The bass sort of overpowers it.  

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #3,746 of 100,670
Quote:
A quick note on the Adagio's.  As I'm mostly listening to heavy beat oriented electronic music, the mixture of mid-bass and sub-bass on these things are just awesome.  I'm not much for mid-bass but there's such good sub-bass mixed in these things that I'm enjoying the heck out of them.  I think the big stage helps a lot too.  Not the same when you throw in vocals though.  The bass sort of overpowers it.

I'm not getting that with xb90ex though... well, the bass is prominent, but vocals are never shadowed. maybe it also depends on recording, but I listen to quite a lot of hip-hop whitch is bass heavy, but if the recording is good, everything is fine. (sadly, most hip-hop recordings aren't really high quality :frowning2: )

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #3,747 of 100,670
Quote:
I'm not getting that with xb90ex though... well, the bass is prominent, but vocals are never shadowed. maybe it also depends on recording, but I listen to quite a lot of hip-hop whitch is bass heavy, but if the recording is good, everything is fine. (sadly, most hip-hop recordings aren't really high quality :frowning2: )

That's what I love about the 90's.  

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #3,748 of 100,670
Strange. Looks like my video playing days are over. Lol..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back