The discovery thread!
Aug 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,881 of 100,733
Hey might as well do that!
Seems awesome to be honest!
its only $6 more than the CKS77 anyway, and its new!

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #2,882 of 100,733
Quote:
The Black CKS77's are going for $52 new shipped on ebay, although one has a straight audio jack and one has the 90 degrees one.  Both seems real but seems kinda strange to me, though there seems to be limited edition ones with different color schemes as well.......

seems fake to me.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,883 of 100,733
Oh Dsnuts did say they were factory rejects, but Im getting here on Head Fi so there would be no worries about it being fake, it came packaged, and bought at AJs

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #2,884 of 100,733
Quote:
seems fake to me.

but.... but.... it says genuine ha

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77-BK-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-black-/150862805123?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item23201fb883

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Audio-Technica-ATH-CKS77s-Black-Solid-Bass-Inner-Ear-Headphones-black-/150829585370?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item231e24d3da

Them different jacks though? The seller rep seems legit, dunno though, its shipped from Hong Kong so....... LoL NM Guess from HK = Factory Rejects
triportsad.gif

Plus the built quality of the 500s and look is more BOSS to me, the 77s seems like some samurai styled IEM esp. the all red limited ed. ones 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #2,885 of 100,733
Quote:
I noticed you say these are an upgrade to the beloved 77's, but are they just an upgrade in terms of clarity and staging, or is it also an upgrade in terms of bass of "fun" sound as well?  Also is the music/sound as "thick" and BIG as the 77 produces?

These are tuned more better. They share similarities in that the XB90s have a big sound much like the CKS77. What makes these an official upgrade. It does what those do but even better. The bass is more textured for one and I have never heard decay on the bass end quite like these. The sub bass is so strong sub bass notes have clear authority and a decay that I have never heard on any other earphone. It has a very strong decay and reaches deep more like what you would hear in an actual dedicated sub woofer. The bass on the CKS77 has more mid bass than these XB90. The Sonys have a bigger than life sub bass that I have never heard with such authority so again tuned better.. Better quality bass. Overall a better more coherent full sound.

The CKS77 the big sound is attained through the filter on the nozzle a part of the design on them so the sound is projected there for not as tight sounding as these XB90. Where the CKS77 projects the big sound. The XB90 actually has the big sound that is the main difference. The CKS77 powerful sound is projected from a smaller 12.5 mm driver. The XB90s make full use of every bit of that 16mm driver for the sound and because it isn't projected the sound is much more natural. Now is it worth getting after owning the CKS77? That all depends on if you want the best of the best but I have to admit I wish the cost of these was cheaper. Perhaps the XB60 would be more of a side grade to the CKS77 and these big boy XB90s the unofficial up grade.

Coming from the JVC earphones the FXD70 and the FXD80 and even ATs own CKM500. As much as I like to talk bass about these earphones, ultimately they have to have great mids and again here is where the Sonys are better as well. I find the mids on these XB90 exceptional. The highs are less colored on these too but does not lack which is a fine balancing act.

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #2,886 of 100,733
Na those are factory rejects!
Dsnuts and others purchased those exact ones and state the do have some sort of defect, Sound wise apparently they are not 100% and require a ton of burn in, but some apparently never get to that 100% mark again!
So I would stick with the safe option and get boxed versions :)

Anyway, anyone here want to sell their CKM500s for less than $58?

Aug 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #2,891 of 100,733
Ebay is cheaper than that :p

and free shipping :)

Anyway anyway want to sell me it on head fi?

Actually you're right, there's a couple for $62 on ebay. Sorry about that. lol and no, I'm keeping mine thanks. They come in very handy, especially for bass boosting. :wink:

Aug 7, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #2,893 of 100,733
You should probably just hurry up and buy something, your indecision spans almost 50 pages now.  Seriously how much is your time worth to you even if you make minimum wage you have wasted countless hours humming and hawing at times looking for absolute low price even trying to get used 101's. I mean seriously just buy something and get on with it.

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #2,894 of 100,733
Ah, late to the party, but my jvc hafx40's arrived in the mail today! Was very excited! I agree with the consensus on these iems, that they're a quite a bit sibilant out of the box, but extremely detailed and have a deep reaching, clean bass. Have had only 10 hours of burn in so far. Got really impatient, so mucked around with tips, and found that for me, shoving a large pair of monster triple flanges over the stock foamies upped bass impact a bit and reduced the sibilance! Only a quick/temporary fix, will continue to burn these in. Loving them more than my dba02mkII's, at least until they get their channel imbalance fixed.

Dsnuts, I would not be surprised if you were active making budget/giant killer discoveries on other product forums, like car or kitchen appliance forums :rolleyes: Thank you for reporting this gem to us !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back