The discovery thread!
Mar 16, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,141 of 100,505
Go for a HFI-580 or a DJ1.. Both of these are the exact same headphones. Go for which ever one is the cheapest. Both are very nice looking. Now they do have a clamp not nearly as bad as the Pro700Mk2s. You can fix the clamp issue with them stretched over some books or just naturally using them.  The DJ1 pro is based on another model. I forget which ones. HFI-550 or some older model. The word is those have less bass. I did this research a while ago.  Get either the HFI-580 or the DJ1s.  Oh and you bet your gonna like your SHE3580. Plays lovely with vocal trance.  If you heard what the Pro700Mk2s sound like with your trance it would have made you pissed. It did for me. lol!.

Looks like Amazon has the DJ1s for $145. Much cheaper than the HFI-580s which are going for $189. Funny but your non knowing populous would have no idea the DJ1 is the exact same headphones..I also own the HFI-780s. Those are lovely too. But for your music DJ1s!!

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #1,142 of 100,505
Ds, You wrote in post 1118 "Conclusion- I think I was right. These sound too close to one another to think otherwise.. The TT isurus is using CKM99 drivers" While you were writing that I was thinking about how much the Sony EX700s were like the Isurus. The main difference is better detail and goes just a bit lower with a smoother midrange to boot! I only have about 50 Hours on the Sonys and I haven't heard any change whatsoever.
I'm not sure how much difference a housing alone could make. Maybe it's more the design of the driver, whatever it is it works.

Mar 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #1,143 of 100,505
Ya there is just too many similarities on the CKM99s and the isurus. The clear give away for me was the bass and overall brighter tone of the earphones. The definition on the CKM99s win and I can clearly tell there was more tweeks done to make them sound more musical. The highs aren't as piercing or as sharp. The mids I would say the CKM99 again is more cleaner and a bit more defined yet smoother as well. SO the CKM99 overall sound like a more tuned and refined version of the isurus.. There are some similarities in the AT house sound with that of the Sonys. The highs for example are similar..

Glad to hear your enjoying your new EX700s. One of these days I will throw down my $4.95 and get me a pair. Lol!! I think cloning is the biggest form of flattery if you think about it. It has to sound good otherwise people aren't gonna buy them. IE 8s for example is another heavily cloned earphone. But then again the Beats are cloned all the time too. SO I suppose popularity has much to do with cloning more than anything.

One thing I didn't mention. Maybe AT is buying their drivers from Sony? Those crazy Japanese. Even Crazier Chinese copying the drivers that Sony created that sells them to AT. Then you get a Mp8320.

Maybe it wasn't AT who made the drivers that are in the TT isurus. Maybe it was SONY! Lol! You all know I am kidding..

Mar 16, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #1,144 of 100,505

Quote:
It was the last one left in the store. I actually went to get the SHE3580 but they only had the pink one so I got these instead & your impression helped a lot, so thank you vary much Dsnuts 
gs1000.gif

But the weird thing is when I listened to it with my C2+E11 it sounded dark & veiled, the bass was a bit rolled off, the mids&highs were recessed and there was an annoying loud hiss.
Hugely disappointed, I used just the C2 and Voila!! It sounded awesome!!
SQ was just like my HF5 with bass boost! And the hiss was completely gone!
Settings on the E11 are high power, low gain & the bass is on 1
C2 eq was BBE headphone 1
What's your thoughts about this?
---
I use the E11 fo my HD25 and the C2 & the E11 are kind of stuck together.
My walkman A829 also sounds great with the SHE9700 without the aid of an amp. 
But my HF5 sounds great with the E11.
Both are 16Ω impedance earphones.
So what could be the trouble with the E11 and the philips?

I think you might have set your E11 to a high output impedance mode by accident.  Try low power instead of high power?

The HF5 are low impedance but unlike most such phones, actually works better with high output impedance.  The only difference between the 4P (HF5's big brother) and the 4S (the supposedly more hi-fi version) is the 4S has an extra resistor built in its pod which raises the output impedance of whatever amp it's connected to by, I don't remember, something like 100 ohms.  Most other low impedance phones are hurt rather than helped by high output impedance so the Etys are really atypical.

But I don't know what's the deal with the hiss.
redface.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 17, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #1,145 of 100,505

Quote:

I think you might have set your E11 to a high output impedance mode by accident.  Try low power instead of high power?

The HF5 are low impedance but unlike most such phones, actually works better with high output impedance.  The only difference between the 4P (HF5's big brother) and the 4S (the supposedly more hi-fi version) is the 4S has an extra resistor built in its pod which raises the output impedance of whatever amp it's connected to by, I don't remember, something like 100 ohms.  Most other low impedance phones are hurt rather than helped by high output impedance so the Etys are really atypical.

But I don't know what's the deal with the hiss.
redface.gif

Ok I'll try that.
The E11 is in High power, low gain & Bass on 1
I'll set it to Low power, low gain & Bass on 1 and see what happens.
Thank you Joe!

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #1,146 of 100,505
Yo Dsnuts

So the Ultrasone DJ1's & HFI-580's don't have detachable cables...?  The DJ1-PRO's look quite similar to the PRO 550's, both also have detachable cables.  10' of cable is excessive when traveling or for portable use, which they would most certainly be used on occasion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt-m6C5-T0M I think Mr.Nurse is a guy on these forums.  Plus that probably does some awesome noise/interference rejection.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587639/ultrasone-hfi-580-trs-cable-jack I think I could do this!

What I'm not understanding is how and why everyone thinks the DJ1's & HFI-580's are the same exact phones.  There rated SPL is different by 3 dB?  Did Ultrasone say somewhere that they are indeed the same?  I don't know, I've never heard either, but I'm curious.

Have you heard the Ultrasone PRO 900's?  I kinda prefer the classy looking brushed aluminum HFI-580's over the DJ1's.  Since I have several phones now, and a couple more in the mail, maybe I should just hold out for the 900's and be done with all this nonsense all together?

P.S. Anyone else, feel free to chime in.

Mar 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,148 of 100,505
One member that bought both commented that the 3575 has lighter bass than the 3580, but impressions for the 3575 seem generally positive.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #1,150 of 100,505
A pic of the 2. fundamentally they both share same designs. One is way more refined over the other. In the end both are different..  I can't stop listening to the CKM99s as they have a great balance of clarity detail yet musical at the same time which is what I want to hear in my music really. To all the guys that ended up with the TT isurus and the SHE3580 and the others.. Enjoy your earphones and thanks for helping me discover more..

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #1,152 of 100,505
burned in the ckm50 for almost a day and the she9700 i still prefer without burning. The ckm50 reaches higher but feels muddier and less balanced. reaches very deep though and super comfortable. I feel crazy not being a big fan.
I have not given the TTs much attention yet but i am impressed with the she9700.
I have an itch to break off the plastic wire protector from the housing and have it more like the SHE3580.
Quote:
WOW a SHE9700 out of the blue. Yes enjoy those. These remind me much of the CKM50s. There are similar sound qualities on both. Both are discontinued earphone with much bass and proper sound. I think the SHE9700 has the more fuller mids so those are even better balanced over the CKM50s.I whipped those out the other say to take a listen. The only thing I hate about those is the spaghetti noodle cord. It is forever spaghetti!

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #1,153 of 100,505

Quote:
Well just I completed my Amazon purchase for a pair of SHE3580's and some MEElectronics M6-CL's.  Should have them by end of next week.  I'm holding Dsnuts and Joe Bloggs responsible if they suck.  Mainly have wanted to try the M6's for a while, cause they are sport oriented over the ears and I road/mountain bike and getting sick of my Sony MDR-EX75's falling out, plus I wanted to have a set of double flanged tips to try out.

Some other info...I've recently been doing oodles of research, looking for some excellent bass headphones.  What I had narrowed my top 2 choices down to were the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2's and the Ultrasone HFI-580's and maybe the Sony MDR-XB500B's, I can count.  There was a discussion over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head/420#post_8222995

So I was really close to ordering, but couldn't pull the trigger.  I'd like a chance to hear these first, especially for the $$.  Not only that but I learned of the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2ANV Limited Edition's.  So if it turns out that I love the PRO700's, I'd want the anniversary editions, 1. cause they are bomb proof and would last forever and 2. cause they look awesome and I'd be willing to pay the extra.  Also, sounds as thought the PRO700's are a bit uncomfortable.

I'll be mostly using an iPod Touch 4th Gen, iPod Shuffle, and my Samsung Galaxy S2 for listening.

I'll give my thought's when they arrive.

Well I felt obligated to come back an post my review of the SHE3580's & M6's.  I really can't stand reading posts where someone says, "I'm gonna get those and report back."  Then you never see or hear from them again.

Upon first listening to the SHE3580's, I thought they sounded fairly terrible.  I guess they were fine, but I was expecting some higher than average bass volume.  I didn't think they seemed bassy in the least.  I could maybe hear deep notes okay.  My buddy was right next to me in the car, so I let him listen, he said they sounded good.  So there's that.  I did try several different types, shapes and sizes of ear pads.

I put the M6's in and I immediately liked the sound better, less clarity, but the overall sound was much better and they had what I seemed to think was pretty awesome bass.  They sound almost identical to my Sony MDR-EX75's.  I think the EX75's sound a little better.  The over the ear cable of the M6's were great.  I used them on my road bike ride and were awesome, they didn't wiggle out once :)

So do the SHE3580's need a ton of Burn-in?  I Burn-ed them in for about 12 hours.  I'd be willing to do more of that.  What I'm thinking is, since I really don't like them at all, I'd would be willing to pass them along to an seasoned Head-fi'er.  All I'd request that they pay postage and provide an honest review here to help the community.  joker would be a good choice for his massive review index here.  After all, Head-fi was a big reason I just ordered some Denon AH-D2000's and a Fiio E17.

Mar 24, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #1,154 of 100,505
Sounds like a fit issue.  Sounds like you're having a good fit with whatever tips are on the M6.  Why don't you try transplanting them on the SHE3580 and see what you hear?

I don't think they require much burn in.  I tested a new pair against my used pair and their bass extension was the same.

joker already has a pair of SHE3580 and will do a review on them if he ever clears his backlog of loaned phones for review...
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back