The discovery thread!
May 25, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #103,126 of 106,806
Excited for this one after buying the Shanling M5Ultra, the Cayin N3Ultra going to go full out and now get the iBasso DX180 , I loved the DX160, DX170

Headphone-Zone-iBasso-DX180-01.jpg

690mw of juice and light weight will have to make this my carry dap.

It has a Volume Wheel , replaceable battery and some impressive specs!
Ice ice, baby.

May 25, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #103,127 of 106,806
May 25, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #103,129 of 106,806
Been spending more time with the Hydro. It's still a "it's just okay". Someone somewhere will probably love this IEM, but it has a lot of energy up top and in the mid-bass with sorta scooped mids. I'm also not finding the tech aspects of it very impressive, it's pretty average for the price imo.

I think the EPZ K5 is a better IEM for the price but if you specifically want a harmanish to v-shaped IEM I suppose the Hydro isn't a terrible pick.

Idk. More to come when I have all my hybrids in hand and do a full comparison.

May 25, 2024 at 2:18 AM Post #103,130 of 106,806
Been spending more time with the Hydro. It's still a "it's just okay". Someone somewhere will probably love this IEM, but it has a lot of energy up top and in the mid-bass with sorta scooped mids. I'm also not finding the tech aspects of it very impressive, it's pretty average for the price imo.

I think the EPZ K5 is a better IEM for the price but if you specifically want a harmanish to v-shaped IEM I suppose the Hydro isn't a terrible pick.

Idk. More to come when I have all my hybrids in hand and do a full comparison.
Thanks!
Judging by graph it's kinda Castor Bass tuning.. Only believe in technicalities not present in fr, keeps me wanting them. Now's not.

May 25, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #103,131 of 106,806
So basically the "Moondrop tuning style" so popular with the Moondrop IEMs? This sort of thing was said about the Volare a few times. It's quite a popular signature, due to it's "safety".

Nah, different types, IMHO.

There are many ways to be safe. Moondrop and Simgot are “safe” in the sense that there is no surprised, (they are harman or diffused field with bass boost). This one is “safe” because Lee tunes the midrange with right with less ear gain. But he left a small peak around 5k or so to keep you awake.

May 25, 2024 at 2:57 AM Post #103,133 of 106,806
Excited for this one after buying the Shanling M5Ultra, the Cayin N3Ultra going to go full out and now get the iBasso DX180 , I loved the DX160, DX170

690mw of juice and light weight will have to make this my carry dap.

It has a Volume Wheel , replaceable battery and some impressive specs!
probably the best sub 500 DAP at the moment. I'm a sucker for iBasso's clean and revealing house sound featuring lots of Cirrus Logic chips :beerchug:

May 25, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #103,135 of 106,806
IMG_9290.jpeg

This morning I pulled out a set that I haven't listened to in a while: Letshuoer Kinda Lava + UA5.

They are still good IEMs.

I never understood how they managed to put 4 ESTs in there.

They are quite small and comfortable, but have a short nozzle.

You have to put the right tips, otherwise goodbye basses.

May 25, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #103,136 of 106,806

XSL released their 1+4. The graph looks kinda meh.

The stage could be quite nice with this one. No early ear gain + that dip around 5kHz + some meat on the bone at the lower mid are good signs.

but, that upper midrange amount might ruin everything. I think it is at least 12dB if not more. Expect a “simgot 2023” target (not the harman, the yellow target with less bass and lots more upper mid)

Edit: why do they insist on putting such imagery on the box. It’s like an order from somewhere more, ehem, “cultured” than an IEM store. Keep it classy, manufacturers!

@Ferdinando1968 nice setup, mate! Even the dongle is color matched with the IEMs.

“Kinda Lava” so it’s kinda good or something? 😂

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #103,137 of 106,806
IMG_9290.jpeg

This morning I pulled out a set that I haven't listened to in a while: Letshuoer Kinda Lava + UA5.

They are still good IEMs.

I never understood how they managed to put 4 ESTs in there.

They are quite small and comfortable, but have a short nozzle.

You have to put the right tips, otherwise goodbye basses.
Agree with genesis, sweet colors.

May 25, 2024 at 7:11 AM Post #103,138 of 106,806
This is not a discovery... its a RE-discover

IMG-20240525-WA0002.jpeg

When summer comes, big HEADphones go back to the closet, and the cheap ones comes to the pool (and the beach) with me.

This T2plus, always is ready to give me exactly what I need.

Bass? Yeah, please, give me that bump on the midbass
Voices? Who need that, when u library is mainly EDM.
Treble? Relaxed, pleeeease.

For 35€, a simple DD wich is the best that fit my profile.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #103,139 of 106,806
Yeesh, I hope my mk4 doesn’t have that high of a treble peak.
Mk4 blue nozzle is pretty smooth.
1000005908.jpg

My issue with that X-500 graph is the lack of treble extension for a 1+4. We can tame the peaks. Also, wish they gave us the interchangeable tuning nozzles for that price.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #103,140 of 106,806
This is not a discovery... its a RE-discover

When summer comes, big HEADphones go back to the closet, and the cheap ones comes to the pool (and the beach) with me.

This T2plus, always is ready to give me exactly what I need.

Bass? Yeah, please, give me that bump on the midbass
Voices? Who need that, when u library is mainly EDM.
Treble? Relaxed, pleeeease.

For 35€, a simple DD that is the best that fit my profile.
A budget IEM which fit my sound profile > a high tier IEM which doesn't. By the way, I really dig the minimal design of the T2plus, very classy!

Anyone else feeling more emotion from the Tanchjim Tanya than these bigger hitters? Going back to it after owning for a few years now and yeah, they have their weaknesses, but idk, there’s just something to em.

Edit: I own the non-DSP.
The emotional factor is a strange thing for me. It seems to be completely unrelated with the technicalities of the IEM, on the contrary, many more times than not (for me at least) seems to be more present in not technical and less safe tuned IEMs... Maybe I like it dirty! *pun intended* (Forgive this poor audiophile who buys hi-fi products while being deeply moved by “unrefined” and raw-sounding IEMs… Maybe I simply enjoy when the treble - quite literally - scratches my soul! 🤣

Seriously I didn't see face with that, I see n*ppl*s 😲 😄

GOVvlazb0AAOyT8
GOVvV5taEAAeGby
GOVwn3rawAMF9oO
Now that’s a really interesting cultural difference.
The Japanese in the comments were scared by the resemblance to “bloody eyes”. Meanwhile, we occidentals: “There you go, nipples!”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back