The discovery thread!
May 23, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #102,886 of 106,563
Forced is a curious choice of word oh magnificent ranter!

Perhaps there are enough people who don't buy DAPs ( like I was until couple of months ago) and this is for em?

My thinking then was instead of wasting money on source, use it to buy iems. Once I got a few, I got the dap.
I didn't mean ME personally. I meant the HUMAN buying that particular IEM. So now we have two examples of IEMs that reviewers have stated that the DSP sounds better than the stock IEM. So it's no longer becoming isolated. Now, when we get one more, it will become a TREND. So if the DSP is that much more of a quality gap than stock, then yes, it's being FORCED on the buyer to get optimal sound by using the DSP cable vs the stock sound. Understand my comment now?

May 23, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #102,887 of 106,563
Not sure if anyone will find this interesting, but I had some time last night and decided to throw together some very quick and dirty rankings to see if I had to order the IEMs I own, how everything would stack up comparatively.

Overall I think it ended up being very representative of my real tastes except for the Quintet which I'd probably pop above the Orchestra Lite due to intangibles of the sound.

I'm sure some folks will disagree with my list, and I hope you do!

Capture.JPG
Thanks. Love seeing these ranking lists.

May 23, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #102,888 of 106,563
I didn't mean ME personally. I meant the HUMAN buying that particular IEM. So now we have two examples of IEMs that reviewers have stated that the DSP sounds better than the stock IEM. So it's no longer becoming isolated. Now, when we get one more, it will become a TREND. So if the DSP is that much more of a quality gap than stock, then yes, it's being FORCED on the buyer to get optimal sound by using the DSP cable vs the stock sound. Understand my comment now?
Ok you win! Damn Silly Product.

May 23, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #102,890 of 106,563
The shells were way too big for my cavernous ears, but I actually enjoyed them quite a bit while I had them. They, along with the Sennheiser IE600, accompanied me on my travels to my mom's funeral early in 2023. But they just hurt my ears from those massive shells. Interestingly enough, I ended up selling both. Probably something to do psychologically?
On the first day of receipt I thought Rhapsody would not gel too - as their large ergonomics hurt & the irritation wouldn't dissipate. A few days later, when I wore them again - they fit fine, burn-in had smoothed out any metallic harshness and they've been in my lug holes ever since. Maybe the psychological effect of constantly wearing the uber snug Delci during the previous two weeks - their fit was always gonna be hard act to follow?
My tragus is now well grooved in for the Hydro lol !!

May 23, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #102,891 of 106,563
Very curious about your thoughts. There’s still little to find on these and I’m wondering why they aren’t talked about more. The brand is no real secret anymore and they’re readily available, albeit no cheapies. I wonder if they would be a nice addition to the SA6 or mostly redundant 😅.
If you’re not offended by electronic style music you could give ‚Vessels, Max Cooper - Everyone Is Falling‘ a listen. One of those tracks that always makes my all ba sets show off :)
I am not sure if I will be able to help you with this. I don't have analytical ears and I don't have many sets to compare with. I will still give it a proper testing and let it burn in a bit more but so far while it certainly isn't a bad set I do miss the warmth I have on the Himalaya and TSMR-X. I already knew this set could come out as too "boring" for me so I might be looking into selling it later on. I was just dead set on trying an all BA set just to try it out.
Since @Ineras also got his set today and @Uprox has his set for a while maybe they can share their thoughts with you as well.
@ToneDeafMonk might be able to help as well. I see he loves the SLT6 while he didn't think much of the SA6MKII.
Edit: listened to the song, it isn't exactly my style but it is interesting as a comparison tool.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #102,892 of 106,563
That is a gorgeous, stunning assembly! I'm really looking forward to mine, but I have that cable, and it sucks. Now sonically, it's actually one of my favorites, especially balanced, but it tangles. As you can see from this picture, it's rather thin, and with many thin cables, they tend to twine really bad, and this one does it worse than others, so I get tired of having to untangle it every time I need to use it, plus it can kink too. Not bad, but it will kink. Too bad, because it's got great sonics (for those who believe in such things).
Unfortunately the Medusa has a QDC 2-pin connection, and that limits the choice of readily available pink, magenta, blue cables and even more so a combination of these colours. Some Hakugei's would've been awesome, but they don't offer QDC. Of course you can find a custom cable maker on Etsy, but also not too cheap. So, this tripowin is nearly the only one I could find, which also is not an overkill for these rather budget friendly 1DDs.

May 23, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #102,893 of 106,563
Unfortunately the Medusa has a QDC 2-pin connection, and that limits the choice of readily available pink, magenta, blue cables and even more so a combination of these colours. Some Hakugei's would've been awesome, but they don't offer QDC. Of course you can find a custom cable maker on Etsy, but also not too cheap. So, this tripowin is nearly the only one I could find, which also is not an overkill for these rather budget friendly 1DDs.
Oh you got the Medusa? How do they sound?

May 23, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #102,894 of 106,563
Are you sure Hakugei doesn't offer custom cabling? I thought for sure you could get them custom made.

EDIT: These look like it could work...
Capture+_2024-05-23-15-19-25.png

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #102,895 of 106,563
Not sure if anyone will find this interesting, but I had some time last night and decided to throw together some very quick and dirty rankings to see if I had to order the IEMs I own, how everything would stack up comparatively.

Overall I think it ended up being very representative of my real tastes except for the Quintet which I'd probably pop above the Orchestra Lite due to intangibles of the sound.

I'm sure some folks will disagree with my list, and I hope you do!

Capture.JPG
According to your ranking system, the Himalaya would easily deserve a 9 in mids, a 7 in air, a clear 8 in imaging, and with the rest I fully agree.
Nevertheless, these are my numbers because my hearing and preferences might be different to yours.

May 23, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #102,898 of 106,563
My only other all BA sets are the ivipQ V11 and the AS16 pro. The V11 is all about dat bass, bass for days with well done mids at higher volume. From my first impressions yesterday, the SLT6 is more similar to the AS16 pro with a 30 ohm impedance adapter to smooth out the mids, and with very very VERY well done treble. That extension in the highs is so damn good. You do need a warmer source and play around with tips; I ended my listening session last night with the Colorfly CDA-M1P and ISN green/clear tips to mitigate pressure build up. I still have to compare with Sancai tips which should be even better at handling the pressure problem, but might drop the bass a bit.

May 23, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #102,899 of 106,563
Are you sure Hakugei doesn't offer custom cabling? I thought for sure you could get them custom made.

EDIT: These look like it could work...
Capture+_2024-05-23-15-19-25.png
Ooo my favorite currently owned cable! I love it but it's definitely chonky.
On a golf trip with some buddies and feeling a little under the weather so I’m sitting this round out. Great views with my compadre, Juzear Clear. This single DD and a little Martin Sexton will help the mood!
Haven't heard about the Clear in awhile! It's a great little budget set that flew mostly under the radar, but time moves on and there's been like 100 releases in the same price bracket since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back