The discovery thread!
May 22, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #102,781 of 106,553
I think it depends on the DAC. The RS6 sounds different, the DX300 sound different, most of my FiiO sounds the same, the R8II sound the same.

On DX300, you can circle between filters without looking at the screen. I did that multiple times and almost always land on the D2 (still have no idea what type that is), so I guess filter does make audible and practical difference with that one.

Personally, I don’t play with those filters. I mean reviewing DACs is annoying as is without having to AB all of those filters 😂
I don't really care about filter too, if I already try to differentiate between the filters options, then I will lost my 2 hours listening time just to A B ing between filters and the more I do that, the more placebo and my brain f*ed and made me stress before I know what exactly I'm doing right now. Differences are subtle usually.
But if you want to know, here my find on A&K website about filters, of course they are different and have more options but basically the D2 on ibasso (usually) is "short delay slow roll off"
The right column is transient note attack perceival.
Screenshot_20240520_100602_Chrome.jpg

EM10, Pilgrim or Project M?
Pilgrim is safe bet, but EM10 is nice gamble if you dare 😉
Tuning looks good, depend on the real bass impact and implementation, the dampening or tubing there, is there any smear or tight, that can't be seen with FR
And the upper extension, wish there is little bit more to counter balance the overall tuning.
better wait for some more reviews

Hey everyone, I wanted to share my quick experience with the Moondrop U-2 earbuds. While I'm not typically a fan of earbuds, I have been impressed by a few, such as the Longyao Yinman 600. So, I decided to try the Moondrop U-2, and here are my impressions:

1. I was surprised by the quality and quantity of the bass from an earbud, but unfortunately, it overshadows the mid-range.
  2. The vocals and many instruments sound recessed, making them seem in the background.
  3. The treble is a bit dark.
I think this covers how they sounded, and here's the FR graph for those interested.

That was a very niche tuning, who will like the 200hz muddy upper bass focused sound?

May 22, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #102,783 of 106,553
I don't really care about filter too, if I already try to differentiate between the filters options, then I will lost my 2 hours listening time just to A B ing between filters and the more I do that, the more placebo and my brain f*ed and made me stress before I know what exactly I'm doing right now. Differences are subtle usually.
But if you want to know, here my find on A&K website about filters, of course they are different and have more options but basically the D2 on ibasso (usually) is "short delay slow roll off"
The right column is transient note attack perceival.
Screenshot_20240520_100602_Chrome.jpg

Pilgrim is safe bet, but EM10 is nice gamble if you dare 😉
Tuning looks good, depend on the real bass impact and implementation, the dampening or tubing there, is there any smear or tight, that can't be seen with FR
And the upper extension, wish there is little bit more to counter balance the overall tuning.
better wait for some more reviews

That was a very niche tuning, who will like the 200hz muddy upper bass focused sound?
I'm unsure. The frequency response curve on the Moondrop website looks completely different from the one I've measured. However, to my ears, the curve I've posted accurately represents their sound. The bass is notably strong and covers a big part of the mid-range, even without a perfect fit.

6642c4d19ce69f8482a80073_U2_08.jpg

May 22, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #102,784 of 106,553
The TRN ST7 got here lightning fast for Ali. Literally a week. That's why I ordered again from TRN with the Medusa and Conch. See if history repeats itself? The KZ ZS10 pro 2 took one month to reach me. so it's always hit or miss shipping wise with Ali.
Haha I ordered the Conch twice from the official Ali store and the first one Ali told me to get a refund because of shipping delays so I did. The next one also got shipping delays and I messaged the company And no response. I got the order refunded. (Shipping said stuff like “processing problem, returning to warehouse”) I refunded the order. Well later the company messaged me that they’re still on their way but I need to wait a little haha. Hmmm will I get a free Conch? Or two??

May 22, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #102,785 of 106,553
So the TWISTURA-D-Major-STD is in the mail to me. This IEM is a ghost, in fact TWISTURA is almost a ghost only coming up with an address and corporation registration on-line. The IEM could be $14 bucks or more? You will just have to be curious with me as to the outcome of this one? Any facts appreciated, you can PM me with those, if you so desire.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #102,787 of 106,553
Hey everyone, I wanted to share my quick experience with the Moondrop U-2 earbuds. While I'm not typically a fan of earbuds, I have been impressed by a few, such as the Longyao Yinman 600. So, I decided to try the Moondrop U-2, and here are my impressions:

IMG_20240518_093046.jpg
  1. I was surprised by the quality and quantity of the bass from an earbud, but unfortunately, it overshadows the mid-range.
  2. The vocals and many instruments sound recessed, making them seem in the background.
  3. The treble is a bit dark.
I think this covers how they sounded, and here's the FR graph for those interested.

graph - 2024-05-21T155615.323.png
This graph
IMG_7789.jpeg

May 22, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #102,788 of 106,553
Haha I ordered the Conch twice from the official Ali store and the first one Ali told me to get a refund because of shipping delays so I did. The next one also got shipping delays and I messaged the company And no response. I got the order refunded. (Shipping said stuff like “processing problem, returning to warehouse”) I refunded the order. Well later the company messaged me that they’re still on their way but I need to wait a little haha. Hmmm will I get a free Conch? Or two??
I've had that goofy stuff happen, and I ended up getting two! I know someone from this thread who also ended up getting two of something from these goof ups.

May 22, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #102,789 of 106,553
That’s flathead earbuds. Measurements of those are mostly for 💩 and giggle. If you press the earpieces harder against the concha you have more bass. Release it just a touch and you have no bass.

Moondrop’s graph is likely correct since they use a HATS with ears.

May 22, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #102,790 of 106,553
The ZS10 Pro 2 doesn't need any modding, aside from picking the right tips and a nice copper cable. They sing and they sing without any peaks to my old ears. @Leonarfd has good young ears, so he's still FRESH with the sensitivity LOL :wink:
Haha.. it's a mini aful P8 cheapie with great tight quality bass! I don't burn in, just keep hearing em but the trebles did smoothen out I must say.

Leo, do some burnin if you can and try. Might work for you. As you seem to be fine with the quality for short sessions; burn in could do the job.

Btw I stuck to that goey stock eartips and all on switches. Not a shoutfest like og Simgot for sure. And way better bass and technicalities. @o0genesis0o and other P8 lovers, get em I say!

And
Awaiting my earbuds - oh ho forgot its name! had ordered couple of days back on leo and dynamiceears suggestion. Iirc Yincrow X6 or some such name. Should come by tomorrow, I hope.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #102,791 of 106,553
Hey everyone, I’ve been trying hard to suppress my curiosity because it’s like opening a whole new can of worms (similar to my previous post about cables). But I can’t hold back any longer - and maybe I like to open new cans of worms from time to time? - so I have to ask: Do you always stick with the default filter on your DACs, or do you have a preferred filter that you switch to whenever possible?

I know some people believe that filters are “invisible,” but in my experience, that’s not the case. For instance, when it comes to Linear Phase Filters, I’ve noticed a significant difference between the Fast and Slow options. The same applies when comparing Minimum Phase filters to Linear Phase ones. Despite the common understanding that filters only affect frequencies above 20 kHz (except for Slow Filters, which gradually drop within the audible range), my ears tell me otherwise. Why would I perceive differences if they were limited to the “inaudible” range?

What stands out most to me is how filters impact the “attack” and “decay”. Linear phase Slow filters offer a gentler attack and an airier presentation, while Linear Phase Fast Filters are sharper and quicker in both attack and decay, resulting in a cleaner but less airy sound. As for Minimum Phase Filters, they share the same characteristics I mentioned earlier for their Slow and Fast iterations, but compared to Linear Phase one their attack tends to be sharper and cleaner. However, their decay is generally slower—slower even than Linear Phase Slow Filters—leading to a more organic and richer overall sound. These are just a few of the distinctions I’ve observed. I decided to not go more in depth in this post because there are way too many in between Filters (Low ripple, Hybrid, Apodizing, etc.) and the post would end up being unnecessarily detailed and longer than it needs to be.

Now, to answer my own question: I tend to stick with the default filter on my DACs most of the time. After all, there must be a reason why the manufacturer chose a particular filter as the default. However, I also enjoy exploring different ones to take advantage of all the possibilities my DAC offers. Lately, I’ve been using mainly the Hybrid filter on my BTR15 and the Minimum Phase Fast filter on my KA17 (both default). Occasionally, I’d like to change them and use filters that I think better suit a particular IEM. For example, when I want to add a little more clarity to warmer-sounding IEMs, I switch to the Linear Phase Fast filter (or a variant of it). Alternatively, if the treble on an IEM is borderline too bright, I opt for a slow filter (either Linear Phase Slow or Minimal Phase Slow).
I only bother with DAC filters on my loudspeaker rig. The difference is so subtle that even the slightest shift in headphone/IEM position has a bigger effect than anything a change in filter will. It might make a difference while you're listening, but once you take your headphones/IEMs off and put them or another pair back in, the difference is lost. No reason to bother when it comes to putting things in/on your ears IMO.
What I learned lately is that us “audiophile” do not like high fidelity that much 😂 class A, NOS, dark IEMs. We always try to cut down that “high res” info that modern gear is capable of producing.
High res only counts as high res when you have to work for it. :wink:

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #102,792 of 106,553
Yeah I have some Aes Dana on a playlist in my collection somewhere. Mainly downloading FLAC and occasionally super hi-res 24bit-44.1kHz currently.

May 22, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #102,795 of 106,553
I'm unsure. The frequency response curve on the Moondrop website looks completely different from the one I've measured. However, to my ears, the curve I've posted accurately represents their sound. The bass is notably strong and covers a big part of the mid-range, even without a perfect fit.

6642c4d19ce69f8482a80073_U2_08.jpg

That’s flathead earbuds. Measurements of those are mostly for 💩 and giggle. If you press the earpieces harder against the concha you have more bass. Release it just a touch and you have no bass.

Moondrop’s graph is likely correct since they use a HATS with ears.

I suspect the way @atechreviews put the earbuds to the coupler is too tight, just like what @o0genesis0o said, earbuds should be put "hanging" on concha and doesn't sealed well like IEMs.

@atechreviews your IEMs measurements are great and "correct" but since you also concur that the sound is mimic Moondrop's FR, probably you didn't use artificial ear and leave the earbuds hangin on concha did you?
I never measure earbuds and headphones too since coupler only rig will be very off, they need artificial ears that mimic actual wearing style on human ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back