The discovery thread!
May 22, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #102,766 of 106,557
EM10, DaVinci, Pilgrim or Project M?

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #102,767 of 106,557
Initial listen before burn in, 1100 on Hydro with liqueurs, way too much mid bass. Went 1110 to bring it down a bit and clean up the bass bleed, much better. These scale pretty good, smooth on top, sibilance is managed well, no blood coming out my ears. A bit of BA timbre that hopefully smooths out eventually. No shortage of sub bass.

May 22, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #102,768 of 106,557
Yeah I have some Aes Dana on a playlist in my collection somewhere. Mainly downloading FLAC and occasionally super hi-res 24bit-44.1kHz currently.

I recommend Aes’s album Perimeters for an all rounder, it’s his only older album that didn’t get a remaster, cuz it didn’t need it. Sync24’s (half of CBL) Comfortable Void is also very well-mastered.

May 22, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #102,769 of 106,557
Thanks, You saved me $15. Got the CCA Polaris in yesterday. I think mine is damaged/qc issue, terrible driver flex on both sides. No combination of switch positions is able to save it.
I have the Conch, ST7 and a backup IE800 coming in.
My Polaris has slight channel imbalance, but other than that, I like them for jazz and swing. (6/10).

May 22, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #102,770 of 106,557
Hey everyone, I wanted to share my quick experience with the Moondrop U-2 earbuds. While I'm not typically a fan of earbuds, I have been impressed by a few, such as the Longyao Yinman 600. So, I decided to try the Moondrop U-2, and here are my impressions:

IMG_20240518_093046.jpg

1. I was surprised by the quality and quantity of the bass from an earbud, but unfortunately, it overshadows the mid-range.
  2. The vocals and many instruments sound recessed, making them seem in the background.
  3. The treble is a bit dark.
I think this covers how they sounded, and here's the FR graph for those interested.

Edit: Removed the FR graph after @baskingshark pointed out that earbud graphs are inaccurate.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #102,771 of 106,557
Initial listen before burn in, 1100 on Hydro with liqueurs, way too much mid bass. Went 1110 to bring it down a bit and clean up the bass bleed, much better. These scale pretty good, smooth on top, sibilance is managed well, no blood coming out my ears. A bit of BA timbre that hopefully smooths out eventually. No shortage of sub bass.
Don't say this.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #102,772 of 106,557
FAIL!!!

The KZ Merga arrived today, and even by old KZ standards, this one is unlistenable. Even with the NF tips that recently saved the OD200, nothing can save this one.

One word to describe the dual dynamic Merga : CRISPY

The bass is too linear, lacks any punch or heft, and the upper mids and lower treble are stuck in a perpetual frying pan or old school TV static loop. CRISPY FRIED.

So if the Sea Elf or the Star River were my most disappointing or worst IEM purchase of 2023, then at the almost midway point of 2024, the KZ Merga step up to the podium to receive the medal for worst purchase of 2024. Thank Goodness I think I paid $14.00 for this thing, but it's $14 I ain't never getting back! LOL

On a more positive note, the Dita Project M have shipped, and should have them within the week?
Liquer/Lacquer tips? The midbass of Merga is quite thin indeed, not my tuning, but then there are more prominent midbass misers, like Hexa, that were praised/hyped. Similar to Hexa, orange tips salvaged Merga to be quite acceptable to my ears.

In another note, the synergy of the nicely V-shaped CelestRelentless and mid-punching A&K HC2 is really great (amazing, off the charts) - everything is there to totally enjoy!

20240522_204048.jpg

Is HC2 - my most favourite DAC - not exactly; is Relentless the best IEM that I've heard - no, but close.
YET, this amazing synergy/combo is jyst striking, and I feel that it can be enjoyed most universally due to its relative balance to my ears (a bit too punchy bass for me, but then it is exactly what I was looking in hybrids compared to my beloved all-BAs :))

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #102,773 of 106,557
I recommend Aes’s album Perimeters for an all rounder, it’s his only older album that didn’t get a remaster, cuz it didn’t need it. Sync24’s (half of CBL) Comfortable Void is also very well-mastered.

This is my fave Sync24 LP...stunning production/mastering.

May 22, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #102,775 of 106,557
This is my fave Sync24 LP...stunning production/mastering.

Oh yeah I love the cooler vibe of that album, as far as production goes I’m not too keen on it though. Like, that first track for example is pretty sharp and uncompressed imo, I wouldn’t use revealing gear with this.

I was gonna post this one from Comfortable Void which is my fav album of his, warmer vibe. The bass throughout the whole album has higher quantity but damn is it soothing.

May 22, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #102,777 of 106,557
Oh yeah I love the cooler vibe of that album, as far as production goes I’m not too keen on it though. Like, that first track for example is pretty sharp and uncompressed imo, I wouldn’t use revealing gear with this.

I was gonna post this one from Comfortable Void which is my fav album of his, warmer vibe. The bass throughout the whole album has higher quantity but damn is it soothing.

The compression isn't evident at all with FLAC & Hi-res 24-bit files....yeah very mindful, meditative & relaxing.....

May 22, 2024 at 9:49 PM Post #102,778 of 106,557
Liquer/Lacquer tips? The midbass of Merga is quite thin indeed, not my tuning, but then there are more prominent midbass misers, like Hexa, that were praised/hyped. Similar to Hexa, orange tips salvaged Merga to be quite acceptable to my ears.

In another note, the synergy of the nicely V-shaped CelestRelentless and mid-punching A&K HC2 is really great (amazing, off the charts) - everything is there to totally enjoy!

20240522_204048.jpg

Is HC2 - my most favourite DAC - not exactly; is Relentless the best IEM that I've heard - no, but close.
YET, this amazing synergy/combo is jyst striking, and I feel that it can be enjoyed most universally due to its relative balance to my ears (a bit too punchy bass for me, but then it is exactly what I was looking in hybrids compared to my beloved all-BAs :))
Yeah, I tried those, but not for the sound, but because those nozzles are kinda short, so for fit. It still had crispy mids.

May 22, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #102,780 of 106,557
I was getting some sibilance on SLT6 with the TP50. Switched to CDA-M1P. Switches set to up/down, black liqueurs, 4.4mm. VERY NICE. Just enough bass for my preference, smooth and creamy vocals, extremely well done treble imo. Good rec @ToneDeafMonk!
That dongle is pretty bright I would recommend something warmer for that SLT6 if you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back