The discovery thread!
May 18, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #102,018 of 106,734
Yet another example of the driver count war that is so foolish. Just like the "We reduced THD by .000007 in our new amp" from Chi-fi manufacturers. Big f*cking whoop.

My belief that "less is more" with IEM drivers grows by the day, especially when I see excellent single DD's like the Delci and Himalaya and my beloved single BA in the MagicOne.

I know there are manufacturers that make good multidriver sets, but packing double-digit drivers into a shell? Really? What's the point other than marketing gimmicks?
I agree in principle - there's one caveat though: as you know I was hooked on Delci for two weeks solid: thinking, this week, that Rhapsody wouldn't get a (rotational) look-in. Initially mids were a tad recessed, transient peaks: specifically percussion in the (1-4KHz range) were a bit peaky & artificial, hence the stage felt rather unengaging.
Alas post 2nd day burn-in - any cold/harsh tonality had smoothed out, it's BA's opened up & mids became noticeably more present. Timbre generally warmed up & 3D stage has a far more cohesive orbital presentation. So, despite their different configs it's great to have two amazing sets (fingers crossed that the ST7 get shipped out asap !!)
Imho, it's a great time to be part of the hobby (with so much to choose from) - whether you opt to just add a few stunning budget sets (or can afford the mid tier>HE route.)

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #102,019 of 106,734
Is it just me or the idea of listening to softears’ IEMs is better than actually listening to softears’ IEMs? They do have some good IEMs, but I can’t recall any absolute knockout from them
The RSV was very good, sort of an opposite twin to the Moondrop S8. It was also one of the cheapest IEMs they ever made.

May 18, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #102,021 of 106,734
If anyone is aware of how TRN ST7 divides all the drivers in a 3 way crossover, please post it here. It has a 10mm DD for bass and a 6mm DD for low mids. Are the rest of the 5 BAs play in one phase or the marketing material is very poorly written?

May 18, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #102,022 of 106,734
If anyone is aware of how TRN ST7 divides all the drivers in a 3 way crossover, please post it here. It has a 10mm DD for bass and a 6mm DD for low mids. Are the rest of the 5 BAs play in one phase or the marketing material is very poorly written?
I'd be interested in this info too: Linsoul usually ship stuff out uber quickly - alas it's been 5 days now, tbf can't wait to add them to the rotation: to evaluate whether they fulfil the rec/hype by FreeWheelin !!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #102,023 of 106,734
Just got my KZ Vader High Resolution in.

This one is not for me.

I do not like the approach KZ went for with the boosted treble on this set. I feel like the midrange was completely neutered to give the illusion of increased resolution which it honestly doesn't sound much better than the Trio. I had to settle with the UP UP down down configuration, it was the only palatable option for me. There was no DAC or AMP configuration that I could find that had some kind of magic synergy to change my mind on keeping me interested in putting more time into it.

I think back to Paul Wasabi's review of this set and he compared it to the Moondrop LAN which it has a similar graph however, while I see the similarity, I think the LAN is most certainly the superior sounding set.

I'm going to let this one burn for awhile and come back to it another time.

May 18, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #102,024 of 106,734
Colours of the days:
20240518_135848.jpg
5Few cables from XINHS (very nice vendor)- great colours: from bright blue/green to subtle moss green and beatuful blue/golden.
New plastic shells of connectors are nice and colourful.
Then, surprise-surprise - a close similarity:
20240518_135947.jpg
Both are equally worthy. Acer 2.0 is my most expensive non-silver cable - great package, story, and the cable perfectly worth few bucks extra that I would usually invest in cables for the colours of the fun :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #102,025 of 106,734
Hisenior Whitewhale is a big Yes for sound (a slight polish throughout the FR) and an even bigger YES for aesthetics on the T5S which continues to impress. ~100€ might be my new limit of diminishing returns.

1000013433.jpg
Be careful with those words! LOL You might stir up the watercooler folks with fire and pitchforks! LOL Hey...don't kill me! He said it....not me!! :ksc75smile: :innocent:

May 18, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #102,027 of 106,734
The Tanchjim 4U is a DMT-4 LCP DD IEM.

4U 2.jpg

The zinc alloy shells fit very well, they are small bean shaped designs akin to those Shure-type housings. There's a mirror-like faceplate, it definitely looks elegant, but may be a potential scratch or fingerprint magnet (so do baby them carefully!).

4U 1.jpg

Unlike the run-of-the-mill tuning switch or nozzle craze, the 4U - as per its namesake - has four tuning options via an adjustable rotary bass dial, something similar to the Sennheiser IE80S. This involves using a screwdriver-like tool to turn the dial - it turns easily enough, but this will require good eyesight and steady hands.

So we have a legit 4 tunings, from a cold neutral bright one (blue graph), to a more bassy warm neutral presentation in the red graph. The other tunings lie within these 2 extremes:
Tanchjim 4U.jpg

After playing around with the dial, I preferred the red bassiest config (haha I like my bass). This isn't a basshead set even on this configuration, with a 7 dB bass shelf. Bass is punchy, though not with the deepest rumble. Speed and texturing are decent. The midrange is transparent and clean, with a 7 dB ear gain translating to forward vocals without shout. Treble has decent extension without much sibilance.

Pretty well balanced tonally, all things considered. Fans of something thinner and leaner can opt for the less bassy dials of course.

Timbre is excellent and ultra-natural, as expected of a single DD. When I spoke to the HIFIGO rep at Can Jam Singapore, the estimated release pricing would be sub $100 USD; technicalities are at least above average for a single DD at sub-$100 USD, imaging in particular is quite strong on this IEM. Will need to do further A/B comparisons against other benchmarks and report back, but this is a set worthy of consideration for timbre lovers that want something balanced and versatile.
So positioning itself to go head to head with the Simgot EA500LM?

May 18, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #102,028 of 106,734
I brought these from the CanJam, i use these as my gym partner now a days haha.
So many hundreds and hundreds of CanJam options, and you decided to bring these home with you?! That's a HUGE endorsement right there in my eyes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back