The discovery thread!
May 7, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #100,711 of 102,991
I love how this thing sounds. I actually got the Questyle M15i dongle after this and for supposedly being the "endgame dongle" it sounds like broken glass in comparison.

I'm also a bit disappointed by M15i. It's not bad or anything, just a bit annoying to use and a bit too expensive. Much prefer the slightly warmer DAC/amps built around Cirrus Logic or AKM DAC chips.

May 7, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #100,712 of 102,991
So weird, right! Imagine having to explain all this to a simple 19th century man. Or a woman, to make it even more difficult 😂 jk ladies
The world you were born into no longer exists. This is a quote: sorry, source lost to me.

Try to explain internet just 40 years ago.
Try to explain nowadays' IEMs just 10 years ago.

A joke, when a youngster sees a floppy disk for the first time:
- Oh, how nice, you 3d printed the "save icon" ?

And the list continues ...

May 7, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #100,713 of 102,991
I'm also a bit disappointed by M15i. It's not bad or anything, just a bit annoying to use and a bit too expensive. Much prefer the slightly warmer DAC/amps built around Cirrus Logic or AKM DAC chips.
I have no complaints about the user experience. I actually like the fact that it doesn't have dedicated volume controls, which is specially annoying when you have an iPhone constantly screaming at you because you dared to turn up the host volume above 70%.

Which is actually the level I have to use my Final E5000 on high gain (!) and the bass is gone making it sound very bright. There is something wrong going on with the M15i and the E5000 paired together.

It also turns my IER-M9 into a completely different IEM as well. But not bad, just different. A less laid back and more energetic listen, with less of that rubbery "not quite DD but not quite BA either" bass that makes the IER-M series so characteristic.

I haven't tried it much with other IEMs due to the lack of time but I guess I simply prefer warmer sources.

And yes both Qudelix 5K, Apple Dongle, M15i and ZX707 graph almost identically; and I often have to pinch myself after hearing that source memes are real.

May 7, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #100,714 of 102,991
1000014298.jpg

Tanchjim Origin.

I would describe their delivery as "just right" or "a bit lean", a bit like a headphone with a single armature driver. Bass is there, it's more than enough and I don't feel a lack of it, but it's neither technical nor whip and punch, it's more like a carpet pad. HF is good, but also without any super long fades. But the middle is very strong in terms of elaboration, images, fades, positioning of the scene and its depth. I would say the pitch is the opposite of the Shozy B2.
If a little similarity with Penon Vortex - also a little bass, but the Vortex has more treble and the midrange is slightly tinted.

Electronics sounds good, bass will be but not tooth-crushing :D moderately tight and dense.
If the source has an emphasis on the midrange, they can tire.
Vocals, instruments (separation) Origin transmit great, this is theirs.

As for me, they are ideal as a second pair to the main ones, or: for the street basshead and for home quiet.

With Cayin N7 the mids are too bright, a little bit undercutting;
With QLS MUB1 bass is more bassy and comfortable, I liked the connection;
With Hiby R6 Pro-2 also everything is about personally, bass is deeper even.

May 7, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #100,716 of 102,991
It also turns my IER-M9 into a completely different IEM as well. But not bad, just different. A less laid back and more energetic listen

And yes both Qudelix 5K, Apple Dongle, M15i and ZX707 graph almost identically; and I often have to pinch myself after hearing that source memes are real.
Self contradiction, aren’t we 😉

Sorry, I have reading comprehension problem 😅

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #100,717 of 102,991
Self contradiction, aren’t we 😉

Sorry, I have reading comprehension problem 😅
Yes, hearing as in "listening to music" rather than "hearing people talking about DACs and Amps" :D (which I used to laugh at).

I left the objectivist camp a long time ago.

May 7, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #100,720 of 102,991
Taking OD200 out of the equation, I would only use the silver nozzle and with the silver nozzle the mid treble peak sticks out a bit much and the bass bleeds more so not really feeling that one as much. Origin or Falcon Ultra.. gonna research a bit more.

May 7, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #100,722 of 102,991
Taking OD200 out of the equation, I would only use the silver nozzle and with the silver nozzle the mid treble peak sticks out a bit much and the bass bleeds more so not really feeling that one as much. Origin or Falcon Ultra.. gonna research a bit more.
You like some serious sub-bass :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra, if it doesn't matter :arrow_right: Origin
You like close, intimate vocals (with one of the nozzles) :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra, if not :arrow_right: Origin or Falcon Ultra (with the other nozzle), but
You like clear upper-mids: vocals and instrument overtones should be in your face, things should have an edge
:arrow_right: Origin, if no :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra (with one of the nozzles), if still yes but you also like bass too much to compromise :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra (other nozzle)

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 5:58 AM Post #100,723 of 102,991
You like some serious sub-bass :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra, if it doesn't matter :arrow_right: Origin
You like close, intimate vocals (with one of the nozzles) :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra, if not :arrow_right: Origin or Falcon Ultra (with the other nozzle), but
You like clear upper-mids: vocals and instrument overtones should be in your face, things should have an edge
:arrow_right: Origin, if no :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra (with one of the nozzles), if still yes but you also like bass too much to compromise :arrow_right: Falcon Ultra (other nozzle)
Haha, I just narrowed down further and the Ultra will be my next purchase unless something else pops up or I end up reading something that deters me from it. I think the blue nozzle Ultra looks exceptionally well-balanced for a warm/smooth set, and I think a balanced cable will give that extra notch of speed and stage that seems to be slightly lacking from what I’ve read about it.

Edit: Balanced also good for upper mids-lower treble control.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #100,724 of 102,991
This album is beautiful

It’s also an excellent test for the “3D-ness” of your IEM and DAC/amp, perceived dynamic, bass quality, and quality of female vocals.

I’m a bit disappointed to find that the Pilgrim cannot match its sibling Gaea on any aspects that I index for. Amazing how much more Lee can squeeze out with one extra BA.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #100,725 of 102,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back