The discovery thread!
Apr 21, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #99,436 of 104,624
Depth in the foreground (where main instruments sit) seem to be a function of bass and lower mid. Even the U12t sounds 2D when I swap to the MX module (least bass). I remember @Redcarmoose saying it has something to do with bass compensation or something like that.
The crazy part about stage is people’s ear canals besides being different shapes and lengths, also have a different coating. Anyone that is older maybe remembers when you were younger you had slightly different ears. Meaning each person has an ear chemistry. This coating can be wet, or dry and that affects sound waves. Waves reflect different off of a wet surface than dry one.

Apr 21, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #99,437 of 104,624
75ABF12F-14F6-49C0-8D26-CA67D3A827A1.jpeg

Setup “as intended by manufacturer”. As far as I know, this pair is $500 in total. Hopefully HiBy can offer a combo deal in the future. They work well together and both impress me more and more.

I think I am starting to understand the R4. It’s a blank slate for customisation. The default tonality is just … blank, meaning it’s perfect for EQ, particularly with MSEB feature (Hiby’s version of PEQ that has preset filters for different subjective aspects of the sound). For me, slapping a healthy boost in note weight (500Hz-ish), bass thickness, bass extension, and a bit of air, and the sound becomes what I consider “natural” with better “depth”. The amp seems quite tough, so EQ does not feel like applying a bandage to save an overly stretched DAC/amp.

Will continue to explore more exotic DSP plugins.

Edit: combination of careful EQ, Joe’s dynamic EQ plugin, and HiBy’s soundfield expander creates an impressive presentation. However, battery drains faster and the device gets quite warm. The audio also becomes even more out of sync from videos.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #99,438 of 104,624
I would be very hesitant to use planar IEMs on a bluetooth adapter like the AZ20 especially because they don't seem to have a amp chip on them? and KZ doesn't list any watts for what it puts out. I noticed that my PR3 and Artti T10 didn't get enough juice on the Fiio btr3k and that gives out 78mW on the balanced output. But to answer your question regardless, I think the PR1 pro is considered the best still. It is more expensive than the other ones tho.
trying the KZ Symphony on the AS20 [on full power mode] vs plugged into my phone via cable is a big difference. they sound better and more musical on the AZ20 and I don't need to turn my volume up as much for sure. But that means in the case of the Symphony that that huge bass boost is now just overbearing and bleeds into the mids. On a cable they sound a bit more balanced but not quite as lively, and need more volume. I just thought that getting a KZ planar without that extra DD "subwoofer" would be better, but I just got the ZS10 PRO 2 so maybe I don't need one now hahaha.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #99,439 of 104,624
trying the KZ Symphony on the AS20 [on full power mode] vs plugged into my phone via cable is a big difference. they sound better and more musical on the AZ20 and I don't need to turn my volume up as much for sure. But that means in the case of the Symphony that that huge bass boost is now just overbearing and bleeds into the mids. On a cable they sound a bit more balanced but not quite as lively, and need more volume. I just thought that getting a KZ planar without that extra DD "subwoofer" would be better, but I just got the ZS10 PRO 2 so maybe I don't need one now hahaha.
Well not sure what kind of phone you use but most of them aren't exactly known for having good DAC's/output power either. It really is a shame that KZ doesn't list any specs on the AZ20 but I just wanted to warn you to be careful with planars and them being powerhungry. Bass is also more about the tuning than there being a DD or not? There are IEMs with a DD that don't have overpowering bass for sure. Also you might be able to EQ some bass away? But I am not knowledgeable about that.
Since you say the ZS10 Pro 2 is already on the way I hope you enjoy that one more!

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #99,441 of 104,624
And I thought you weren't going anywhere near this one! Haha but yay! Waiting for mine!
I am happy I did. Actually, it was not right away by any means (I was thinking that it will be Rhapsody 2.0, not my cup of tea), but after @r31ya shared first reviewer impressions that treble is there - I totally subscribed :) I am quite amazed that they tuned these 4-BAs to a nice ZS10-pro signature but definitely more refined, yet still preserving the good heritage!

Answering @r31ya question about an openness ZS10 pro 2, I disagree with the answer given in KZ thread (there are too many KZ naysayers there to participate anymore there... and I am desperately working to wean of HeadFi a bit more), Pro 2 is a closed IEM, as all ZS10 series. I checked by suction tests from the nozzle and from the plate, and double checked by leaking from the top - no, only very limited DD membrane venting.
Thanks, I'm very curious about your impressions. I'd be especially interested in a comparison with the KZ ZS10 ProX. Combined with the KZ AZ09 Pro they are my favorite bluetooth IEMs.
I will! Getting ready:
20240421_082445.jpg

From left to right are original ZS10, ZS10 pro, ZS10 pro X, ZS10 pro 2, and CCA C10 pro.
To add right away - if one liked ZS10 pro X, and appreciate Trio - ZS10 pro 2 are right along these lines - still ZS10 pro and pro X, but with several good aspects of Rhapsody and Trio skillfully implemented - as in smoother treble (the pinna gain is all still there; some may not be up to it) and a more refined, yet "good rampant" DD. Is Zs10 pro 2 a 'disruptor" or "segment killer"? No, but definitely an IEM that many people will greatly enjoy, and it will be successfull in sales (not hard to predict) whatever some reviewer may come up with

P. S. @o0genesis0o - I really appreciate the stage discussion, I will try to chime more of my limited thoughts. Briefly,I feel it is opposite to "the closest to the ears to matter more", with the stage being realized in a recording, then possibly enhanced by a source, then rendered by a transducer.
The stage and layerings are in time and phase delays.
Having said this, some transducers, like ZS10 pro 2 and ZAT of my recent, synergize better for the stage to my ears (a good DD and multidrivers (?))

P. P. S. If you and @baskingshark would have a chance to get your hands on elusive Kuang Pai Plus 4 with its stage expansion function - I would be really interested to know your opinion about it (with some IEMs and recordings, it feels like the best thing everr, with some - more artificial).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:26 AM Post #99,442 of 104,624
I am happy I did. Actually, it was not right away by any means (I was thinking that it will be Rhapsody 2.0, not my cup of tea), but after @r31ya shared first reviewer impressions that treble is there - I totally subscribed :) I am quite amazed that they tuned these 4-BAs to a nice ZS10-pro signature but definitely more refined, yet still preserving the good heritage!

Answering @r31ya question about an openness ZS10 pro 2, I disagree with the answer given in KZ thread (there are too many KZ naysayers there to participate anymore there... and I am desperately working to wean of HeadFi a bit more), Pro 2 is a closed IEM, as all ZS10 series. I checkef by suction tests from the nozzle and from the plate, and double checked by leaking from the top - no, only very limited DD membrane venting.

I will! Getting ready:

From left to right are original ZS10, ZS10 pro, ZS10 pro X, ZS10 pro 2, and CCA C10 pro.
To add right away - if one liked ZS10 pro X, and appreciate Trio - ZS10 pro 2 are right along these lines - still ZS10 pro but with several good aspects of Rhapsody and Trio added - as in smoother treble (the pinna gain is all still there) and more refined, yet "good rampant" DD. Is Zs10 pro 2 are 'disruptor" or "segment killer"? No, but definitely an IEM that many people will greatly enjoy.

P. S. @o0genesis0o - I really appreciate the stage discussion, I will try to chime more of my limited thoughts. Briefly,I feel it is opposite to "the closest to the ears to matter more", with the stage being realized in a recording, then possibly enhanced by a source, then rendered by a transducer.
Having said this, some transducers, like ZS10 pro 2 and ZAT of my recent, synergize better for the stage to my ears (a good DD and multidrivers (?))

P. P. S. If you and @baskingshark would have a chance to get your hands on elusive Kuang Pai Plus 4 with its stage expansion function - I would be really interested to know your opinion about it (with some IEMs and recordings, it feels like the best thing everr, with some - more artificial).
thank you for the response.
its not as harsh as ZS6, yes?
because i could't stand that one

now we wait to see how it stacked against its old rival siblings, TRN ST7...
do we have ST7 actual pricing or do they slice the pricing deep just to compete with ZS10Pro 2, because the setup seems to be closer to be ZAX-line competitor than ZS10pro

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #99,443 of 104,624

Answering @r31ya question about an openness ZS10 pro 2, I disagree with the answer given in KZ thread (there are too many KZ naysayers there to participate anymore there... and I am desperately working to wean of HeadFi a bit more), Pro 2 is a closed IEM, as all ZS10 series. I checked by suction tests from the nozzle and from the plate, and double checked by leaking from the top - no, only very limited DD membrane venting.

I will! Getting ready:

To add right away - if one liked ZS10 pro X, and appreciate Trio - ZS10 pro 2 are right along these lines - still ZS10 pro and pro X, but with several good aspects of Rhapsody and Trio skillfully implemented - as in smoother treble (the pinna gain is all still there; some may not be up to it) and a more refined, yet "good rampant" DD. Is Zs10 pro 2 a 'disruptor" or "segment killer"? No, but definitely an IEM that many people will greatly enjoy, and it will be successfull in sales (not hard to predict) whatever some reviewer may come up with

Thanks for the response. It sounds encouraging. Especially the reference to the genome of the ZS10 ProX and Trio headphones. I consider those 2 pieces to be the absolute best I've tried from KZ/CCA.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #99,448 of 104,624
Moondrop phone? not DAP but outright phone?

1713712101090.jpeg1713712115791.jpeg

https://moondroplab.com/en/phone/miad01

it said to be, "5G HiFi Mobile Audio Device"
They announced they were doing a phone awhile back.

I really wish… any other company was making this lol, considering that 2 months after every Moondrop product launch, you hear stories of it being broken.

Hopefully this inspires other companies to follow suit.

Apr 21, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #99,450 of 104,624
IMG_4957.jpeg

Folks who could use more bass from Project M, try switching out the cable.

I recently swopped in the NiceHCK AceOrpheus on a hunch and was surprised how deep and textured the sub bass could go.

It has to be said, AceOrpheus has its fans and I’m not usually one of them because its highs are generally too sleepy for my tastes. But it didn’t turn out to be much of an impediment for Project M, which is fairly well provided for in that department.

It’s also a chonky one and requires an adapter to use 0.78mm pins safely with the Project M’s QDC-style connectors (although I suppose one could cheat and hope for the best - it’s just a little tight) but it’s well worth mentioning how well Project M responded to a spot of cable rolling.
Before my AceOrpheus MMCX cable stopped working, I found it boosted sub bass and mids on the Dunu Falcon Ultra. I wish I had an adapter to try it with the Dita PM since they're bass-light for me too. After trying all of my cables with the Dita PM, I still think the stock Cardas cable is the best pairing. I just use PEQ to add a 4db low bass shelf with them and they sound great. It adds the extra thump and rumble that was missing for me without losing any of its resolving, well-extended treble.

@FreeWheelinAudioLuv2, you should pick up the one that vikinguy is selling in the classifieds :). He's letting it go with a 20% discount off retail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back