The discovery thread!
Apr 8, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #98,687 of 100,493
Wild guess: you can't probably hide that from your partner.
hhhm, maybe he can develop a universal outer shell to fit over any iem as a disguise - "I only have 1 iem honey, the orange bubbly one"

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #98,688 of 100,493
Hello to all.

Here is my humble opinion on the excellent Simgot EA1000 Fermat. This is my 33rd review, so I don't think I have anything new to contribute. But that doesn't influence when it comes to classify them as an IEMS to consider if you like an analytical sound, a bit cooler and with extended and present treble.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-ea1000-fermat-in-ear-monitor.26790/reviews#review-33489

Simgot EA1000 25_r.jpg
I sold mine. I found them extremely good in timbre (4.5/5), but overall kinda boring, and I thought, and several others agreed, that their stage and imaging are just average (3/5).

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #98,689 of 100,493
9F2E574B-683E-47FB-BAC3-CE45D7ACE1A0.jpeg

New member in my stable, the Luxury & Precision W4.

Yes, I was harsh in my review, stating that while it is one of the best sounding dongles and can trade blows with some mid-range DAPs, it’s not significantly better than a good dongle but it costs too much (as much as a mid-range DAP, essentially). Anyways, when a friend wanting to get rid of all dongles to save up for a TOTL DAP, I couldn’t resist the deal.

How does it sound? Take everything I love about the staging, imaging, and energy efficiency of AFUL Snowy Night, and add a dash of refinement across the range, most noticeably in the treble and upper treble, and you have W4.

Should you grab one? If you have budget for a mid-range DAP, you want the sound of a midrange DAP, but you don’t want to carry a DAP, this might be a good choice. I still find it is too expensive, but logically, it’s not given how it sounds.
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....just get an AFUL Snowy night, save the money for a really good DAP or IEM/Headphone, and don't get so caught up in the last 5%?

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #98,690 of 100,493
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....just get an AFUL Snowy night, save the money for a really good DAP or IEM/Headphone, and don't get so caught up in the last 5%?
Definitely a good idea, especially when one is new(ish) to the hobby.

Tbh, I’m more interested in DAC/amp and the engineering behind them than IEMs nowadays. Slightly more interested. I guess IEMs have reached such a good performance that even cheaper ones can be transparent to sources. Meanwhile, these “market disruptors*” still haven’t been able to catch up with the best of the bests, and going up from the high-end to TOTL is shockingly expensive, a price I can’t quite justify. Kinda stalemate for me on the IEM side, thus DAC/amp.

These DAC/amp are still quite far away from the likes of R8II or P6 Pro though. There is always a bigger fish 😂

But yeah, upgrade your dongles. It could be fun.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #98,691 of 100,493
CAN JAM SINGAPORE 2024 IMPRESSIONS

1)There was a participant at Can Jam who brought his calabash gourd like DIY creation around his neck!

Hu Lu2.jpg

A lot of participants asked him about it, and he was very obliging to let us test out his DIY creation.

It has no name, but contains a single DD. It is quite large in terms of fit, with the IEM sticking out of the ears, but the tuning is actually very good. Huge soundstage (courtesy of the gourd), with very nice tonal balance.

Unfortunately he ain't selling it haha. I asked.
How does it even stay in your ears? Lol.
It's so ridiculous and meme-ish looking. "The  Gourd" I like it.
Wild guess: you can't probably hide that from your partner.
You can always paint it black and pretend it's always been there, or pretend it's a desk ornament lol.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #98,692 of 100,493
Today's setup includes Intuaura Purple with D's Audio Pure Silver Cable and DX260/WM1A MK2 combination. Absolutely blissful this single DD set is, i think i might grab one down the line some day.

1708941786489.png
1708941798831.png
Anymore info on these or the lake view ?

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:30 AM Post #98,694 of 100,493
I absolutely love this pair.

Read my review here: https://headfonics.com/letshuoer-cadenza4-review

The LETSHUOER Cadenza4 proves to be a pleasantly refreshing IEM. Despite its seemingly standard driver configuration, the tuning is impressive. This sound signature will particularly appeal to those with a preference for a tonally accurate, neutral coloration. This sound prioritizes musicality over analytical precision.

While the bass lacks a bit of punch, it exhibits good quality with a decent sub-bass presence. The midrange is notably sweet, and the IEM showcases impressive technical performance.

With its nice build, attractive aesthetics, and comprehensive set of accessories, the Cadenza4 emerges as a commendable release from LETSHUOER.

IMG_9829.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #98,696 of 100,493
Nope, didn't have any tapes with me (I prefer to listen to my own test tracks haha as I've no idea what to look out for in store provided music tracks).

Yeah most of the stuff showcased are upcoming releases. So some of the manufacturers use this show to get feedback from consumers, in terms of pricing and tuning. Some brands also come to get more media coverage to spread their footprint, and to make contacts with other brands for example.

For those unreleased IEMs that are not for sale, we can't buy them of course but can put your name on a waitlist. But for newly launched or existing IEMs, yes you can buy them on the showfloor, and most Can Jams provide a discount.

For the unreleased items at the show, I like the Binary Audio Dynaquattro, a 4DD IEM. The HIFIGO rep says it will likely go at $200 - 300 USD. Sounds warm neutralish, safe tuning, no shoutiness in the upper mids. Bass is textured and relatively nimble though with not the deepest sub-bass rumble. Timbre is very natural, with above average technicalities.

But this Dynaquattro is as hard to drive as my Final E5000. I was almost maxing out my Sony WM1A DAP and some dongles and it was still hungry for more juice. I suspect with a desktop level amp this IEM will shine.

Price and launch date TBC. Final tuning is not confirmed too.

Binary_Acoustics_Dynaquattro.jpg

Interesting to see more multi DD IEMs appearing, perhaps a theme for 2024!

On the subject of themes, has planar dropped off quite a bit? I’m not seeing reports of many new choices, or maybe I’ve missed them. It’s interesting also that aside from Supermoon from CFA, no other brands really ventured into a higher price point offering. Maybe just more integration into hybrids etc as a few have done.

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #98,697 of 100,493
On the subject of themes, has planar dropped off quite a bit? I’m not seeing reports of many new choices, or maybe I’ve missed them. It’s interesting also that aside from Supermoon from CFA, no other brands really ventured into a higher price point offering. Maybe just more integration into hybrids etc as a few have done.

A few new entrants into the 'budget' bracket but not so many into the higher price points. Personally, I would prefer to see more planar tweeters implemented in hybrids. Leave the midrange to something less incisive and with a more lax decay. I think there's only so much they can offset the 'natural' behaviour of planars with a warm/organic tuning but the snappy undercurrent remains. I've read the Hidizs MP145 is quite 'organic' but have yet to hear it myself and wonder if it's truly organic from a timbral perspective.

Apr 8, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #98,698 of 100,493
Query to those who have tubes in their audio gear chain.

Never heard one. What does it do? Make the sound 'warmer'? More analogue-ish? Or boost certain frequency?
I don't have much experience with tube amps. I have one, and that's the only one I have ever tried.
So, I don't consider myself valid to talk much about it.

But I can tell that the one I have, AURIS HA-2 SF, is marvellous!
But it's not cheap, either. Can you get that quality of sound with less expensive amps? I don't know.

I can also say that you can get warm sound from SS amps and DACs.
SPL Phonitor XE gives a warmer sound, and Topping E50 DAC gives a warmer sound...

I will definitely get a couple of more tube amps in the future. Is it worth it? I think it is.
And besides the sound, the tubes look cool :)

A few moments later...
EDIT: I remembered that you have 660S2. Sennheiser 660S2 sound amazing with tubes.

I didn't even try S2 with Auris :), but I did HD800S when I got them, and they sounded marvellous, too!

DROP + XDUOO TA-84 OTL TUBE AMP/DAC
Apparently, this amp is great to pair with the S2; if I could buy one in the EU, I would definitely get it.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #98,699 of 100,493
Howdy folks,

My review of Symphonium Crimson is online on head-fi and my blog.

So, what’s is the conclusion about Crimson? As usual, “it depends.”

If you want your music to be smooth and mellow with big, slow, enveloping bass, or if you primarily to music that is already energetic and edgy, perhaps Crimson would be too much for you.

However, if your idealisation of the “perfect” sound is the one with tack sharp instrument placement, snappy transient response, plenty of details, and a balanced U-shaped sound signature, if you listen to a lot of large orchestral music and soundtracks, then the answer is simple. Crimson is perhaps the closest to that “perfect” sound as it gets, without jumping into the abyss also known as “Top of the Line.”

What I like about this IEM:

• Laser-sharp instrument separation and layering
  • Outstanding detail retrieval
  • Immersive and 3D soundstage and imaging
  • Snappy and exciting transient response
  • Subbass rumble and texture
  • Tonality is spot on
What could be improved:

• Upper treble can become harsh with a shallow fit
  • Stock tips might not provide the necessary deep fit to avoid treble hashness
  • Can be demanding in terms of the DAC/amp to pair with it
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 5/5 - Outstanding

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this IEM!

Crimson_summary.jpg

Updated: April 8, 2024

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #98,700 of 100,493
Howdy folks,

My review of Symphonium Crimson is online on head-fi and my blog.

So, what’s is the conclusion about Crimson? As usual, “it depends.”

If you want your music to be smooth and mellow with big, slow, enveloping bass, or if you primarily to music that is already energetic and edgy, perhaps Crimson would be too much for you.

However, if your idealisation of the “perfect” sound is the one with tack sharp instrument placement, snappy transient response, plenty of details, and a balanced U-shaped sound signature, if you listen to a lot of large orchestral music and soundtracks, then the answer is simple. Crimson is perhaps the closest to that “perfect” sound as it gets, without jumping into the abyss also known as “Top of the Line.”

What I like about this IEM:

• Laser-sharp instrument separation and layering
  • Outstanding detail retrieval
  • Immersive and 3D soundstage and imaging
  • Snappy and exciting transient response
  • Subbass rumble and texture
  • Tonality is spot on
What could be improved:

• Upper treble can become harsh with a shallow fit
  • Stock tips might not provide the necessary deep fit to avoid treble hashness
  • Can be demanding in terms of the DAC/amp to pair with it
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 5/5 - Outstanding

Bias Score: 5/5 - I love this IEM!

Crimson_summary.jpg

Updated: April 8, 2024

1000064407.jpg

Sounds great! You going to save up to buy em? Or ...
Considering your orchestral listening library, this seems right in your alley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back