The discovery thread!
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #98,582 of 100,570
I dug out an IEM from 2020. The SFR MT300. I have to be honest. I forgot I even had this thing. It's been at the bottom of the wooden box graveyard for a long time, along with the very bad Shuoer Tape Pro and CCA NRA. Yuck! This one on the other hand, is 1 TDK EST, 1 Knowles BA, and one CNT DD. It's interesting. Almost not sure how to describe or digest this thing. Unique sounding, with punchy bass and EST treble extension with really good soundstage, but again, just an odd bird.

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:57 AM Post #98,583 of 100,570
First look at the Pilgrim Noir from Effect Audio's Instagram.
1000019007.jpg

1000019008.jpg

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:24 AM Post #98,584 of 100,570
How much is the Pilgrim? That's what I want to know!

BTW, go @gadgetgod!

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #98,585 of 100,570
I dug out an IEM from 2020. The SFR MT300. I have to be honest. I forgot I even had this thing. It's been at the bottom of the wooden box graveyard for a long time, along with the very bad Shuoer Tape Pro and CCA NRA. Yuck! This one on the other hand, is 1 TDK EST, 1 Knowles BA, and one CNT DD. It's interesting. Almost not sure how to describe or digest this thing. Unique sounding, with punchy bass and EST treble extension with really good soundstage, but again, just an odd bird.
The MT300 is a favourite of mine. Treble extension is fantastic as you say and nice solid bass.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:34 AM Post #98,586 of 100,570
Let me get this out of the way, sometimes I am not sure what I do on this forum. I am not a true audiophile, I can't dissect what I hear in different IEMs like some of you can and I have a very modest collection. Yesterday I received my NiceHCK Himalaya. It cost me like €264 incl. import duties, I added a Xinhs cable and a Simgot DIY nozzle tuning kit for another €60. Put a 300 mesh with a foam underneath on the nozzle, slipped on some Divinus Velvet L and burned it in for ~12-14 hours. Listening to it right now and trying to compare it a little and I must say I am very impressed. Like I said I am bad at describing sound but I do hear it is better than my cheaper IEMs and I really enjoy listening to it a lot. Obviously it doesn't beat my TSMR-X but I will be sure to listen to it often.

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #98,589 of 100,570
I am not a true audiophile, I can't dissect what I hear in different IEMs like some of you can

This kind of statement pops up quite often. Can’t speak for others but for myself, I think dissecting the sound is a learned skill. I don’t imagine anyone starting out trying to dissect sound, but it starts with “this IEM sounds better than that but can’t quite put my finger on it”. The process of trying to put the finger on that makes one sharp. Jargon or graphs are secondary. That desire to pin point exactly what makes something sounds subjectively so good is the starting point.

You have Himalaya and TSMR-X, that’s a respectable and arguably complete collection. Enjoy your shinies, mate!

Apr 6, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #98,590 of 100,570
This kind of statement pops up quite often. Can’t speak for others but for myself, I think dissecting the sound is a learned skill. I don’t imagine anyone starting out trying to dissect sound, but it starts with “this IEM sounds better than that but can’t quite put my finger on it”. The process of trying to put the finger on that makes one sharp. Jargon or graphs are secondary. That desire to pin point exactly what makes something sounds subjectively so good is the starting point.

You have Himalaya and TSMR-X, that’s a respectable and arguably complete collection. Enjoy your shinies, mate!
I will, thank you!

Apr 6, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #98,591 of 100,570
Folks, one question.

Which IEM / combo that started you down the rabbit hole 🤔

For me, it’s U18s + A&K SP2000 + Bach Partita 2 performed by Julia Fischer. I was using FiiO FH3 at that time when I borrowed and tried that combo. The way the stage changes from flat and 2D to a dome of sound within and around the head was mind blowing. That’s when I know there is no going back.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #98,592 of 100,570
Folks, one question.

For me, it’s U18s + A&K SP2000 + Bach Partita 2 performed by Julia Fischer. I was using FiiO FH3 at that time. The way the stage changes from flat and 2D to a dome of sound within and around the head was mind blowing.
First iem I tried was a used Thieaudio Legacy 5 I got from Reddit. Loved the sound but couldn't figure out how to fit them in my ear comfortably so I ended up selling and swearing off iems for good...until I discovered I had most likely been using the wrong size tips. So I bought the Moondrop Starfield and really enjoyed them and that kicked off my addiction.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #98,593 of 100,570
Folks, one question.

For me, it’s U18s + A&K SP2000 + Bach Partita 2 performed by Julia Fischer. I was using FiiO FH3 at that time. The way the stage changes from flat and 2D to a dome of sound within and around the head was mind blowing.
Isn't u18 an iem? Or something else as you say you were using fh3.

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #98,594 of 100,570
Folks, one question.

I think it was like 2006, and I was happily (blissfully ignorant) wandering around listening to my Sandisk Sansa Fuse and the earbuds that came with it. Somebody I worked with had an iPod with something deep in his ears. When he pulled them out, I was like WT**** are those?! These were the Etymōtic ER4/Ps. After hearing this guy swear up and down they were phenomenal, I shrugged it off at the time. But later, I succumbed to the iPod hype and bought one, then starting reading up on pairings for it (never read the Internet, my children), I saw Etymōtic being mentioned everywhere so I took the first plunge into the rabbit hole and became that guy from months earlier. Things have never been the same since.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #98,595 of 100,570
Finally, could not resist. Castor Harman at 6,29€ in Choice Day, so why not. First thing that surprised me is how they love power. I switched to KBEAR Hazy balanced, and had to use high gain in my A50s to get good dynamics. That way, they opened et voilà! Obviously, differences exist here and there compared with SR5, but these are cheapies even in KZ catalog, and SR5 is so good for me that I stopped buying IEMs from last June till now. I started my IEM journey with a lot of these mythical DD models (ED, ED3, ED8, ES, ED9, ED10) and, after that, only returned to KZ recently, to buy the great BA10 (yes, they fit me) and the CRA. Well, to summarize, if Trio is a more refined version of these, I'll be watching in future sales. This seems to be the correct path to KZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back