The discovery thread!
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #98,506 of 102,936
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #98,507 of 102,936
FD15 (approx. $140)
$140????

I like tuning of the FD7, at least on paper...that's how I decide anyway.
Ok, if FD15 turn out to be good...I can still count on FD7 and FD15 :)

As always, the only way to know for sure is to hear them for yourself. :nerd:
Well, that's not gonna happen...at least until I move somewhere else :)

Cheers!

Apr 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #98,508 of 102,936
I'm almost more excited for the new 2BA +1 BA from Aful. Might be stellar. The blue has me slightly disappointed.
A friend recently tried AFUL Cantor and the new 1DD 2BA.

1000033504.png

1000033507.png

1000033506.jpg

1000033505.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #98,510 of 102,936
Thanks for presenting your view. I fully understand now. Enjoy!

My EA1000 is still travelling somewhere, hopefully it's having a cracking time, but I sure hope it reaches me soon ... Very excited, actually. And even more now to see how I feel about it's passive-radiator-enhanced bass.

20240404_171224.jpg
Mine cost a bit more but I like the wood and soft insides. Latch and hinges feel decent too.

Thank you, sir, oh I did not realise it was so energetic in high mids/low treble. Not sure I need this much energy from my single DDs.

So this is how we're gonna play? Really attempting to make me regret having my Butastur up for sale, huh? At a very reasonable price too 😉

Disgusting. I wouldn't want this anywhere near my ears.

Could you say where you bought it and the model if it is accessible?

Thank you.

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #98,511 of 102,936
Could you say where you bought it and the model if it is accessible?

Thank you.
I've got this one below. Choice of colour and number of slots.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
€17.81 19%OFF | New Wood Watch Box Organizer With Glass Window Wooden Watch Display Luxury Watch Case Storage Box Watch Holder For Men
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Evy1U5F

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #98,512 of 102,936

€17.81 19%OFF | New Wood Watch Box Organizer With Glass Window Wooden Watch Display Luxury Watch Case Storage Box Watch Holder For Men
One day I will have to get something like this once I have a more permanent place for my audio stuff. Very classy ☕🧐🎩

Apr 4, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #98,513 of 102,936
20240403_221658.jpg
My new toy...

It sounds goood :) Out of the box they were a bit rough, grainy and robust. After some 10-15 hours of running something happend.. they are more open, highly dynamic and sparkly. Btw, I tried to listen them with my Kato’s nozzles (fits in perfectly and those are longer), but I didn’t liked the result. At first it seemed to me that the upper mids tamed down a bit, but at the end I noticed less vividness and crispness than with the original golden nozzles. Image wise all remained mostly as before, no spatial collapse or anything. The sound was dull, that lively openness was drawn back. I suspect that the reason could be the Cato’s nozzle diameter, which is smaller in size. Btw, I noticed that when I pushed Himalayas deeper to my ear, even holding them with force, they started to sound much more realisticly! In normal position they have this lower mid emphasis, not in horrible amount, but still noticebly. Holding them and pushing heavily inward with fingers the timbre went to the point I am used to hear from the Stellias. Massive sound, all in its place. What can be made to achieve this without force...? Makes me want more of it.
20240404_223142.jpg
I tried the blue nozzles with my Katos... matched nicely, with the tips too! Sadly, nothing good evolved from it sound wise. Boring compared to Himalaya. And quieter too. So off they go! Perhaps my tablet will accept them.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #98,514 of 102,936

Thank you!!!
I'll see which one I order in the end.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #98,515 of 102,936
I am with you, Peacock. I ike the MidFi IEMs. Have several hi end IEMs, but buying only midFi IEMs this year . Can you tell me your dollar range for purely mid fi IEMs?
$150-$700 is where ai feel the bang to buck is at the moment

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #98,516 of 102,936
My new toy...

It sounds goood :) Out of the box they were a bit rough, grainy and robust. After some 10-15 hours of running something happend.. they are more open, highly dynamic and sparkly. Btw, I tried to listen them with my Kato’s nozzles (fits in perfectly and those are longer), but I didn’t liked the result. At first it seemed to me that the upper mids tamed down a bit, but at the end I noticed less vividness and crispness than with the original golden nozzles. Image wise all remained mostly as before, no spatial collapse or anything. The sound was dull, that lively openness was drawn back. I suspect that the reason could be the Cato’s nozzle diameter, which is smaller in size. Btw, I noticed that when I pushed Himalayas deeper to my ear, even holding them with force, they started to sound much more realisticly! In normal position they have this lower mid emphasis, not in horrible amount, but still noticebly. Holding them and pushing heavily inward with fingers the timbre went to the point I am used to hear from the Stellias. Massive sound, all in its place. What can be made to achieve this without force...? Makes me want more of it.I tried the blue nozzles with my Katos... matched nicely, with the tips too! Sadly, nothing good evolved from it sound wise. Boring compared to Himalaya. And quieter too. So off they go! Perhaps my tablet will accept them.
Fiio FD series and ea500 nozzles are longer and produce the realistic sound you mention especially with Sedna Azla earfit crystal standard tips.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #98,517 of 102,936
Chipping + Rusting after 3 months use of my Aria II. As a victim of the Aria One, I am speechless, and the volume of the left unit is diminishing too ! How on earth this company still survive !?

Mate, did you fish them up from the wreckage of Titanic or what 😂

Seriously, what’s wrong with Moondrop and their paints.

MagicOne has been the only aesthetically pleasing Aful imo. The prototype Cantor looked way cleaner.

I am extremely over blue IEMs. Minus the sza shhh bby I didn’t mean it

Blame AmericanSpirit. He chased them on Twitter for AI-art-looking faceplates of the prototype 😂

Here's the first official image and details of FiiO's upcoming FD15 1DD IEM. It will be available to demo at CanJam Singapore.

If I'm reading the info right, it looks like it will use a brand new driver that will be similar to DUNU's Eclipse driver design!

As a huge FD5 fan, I'm really looking forward to hearing these ASAP! :ksc75smile:

W-shape dome is indeed similar to Dunu Eclipse. Let’s see how it turns out. FiiO was quite pessimistic about whether they can do anything more with DD to justify a new product earlier this year. I’m surprised that they managed to pull out a new redesigned DD just like that.

Hmmm...so I should skip FD7 and wait for FD15??? Loooking nice :)

Wait a minute...that means that they are great now...or not so much? Hmm

:scream: :scream: :scream:

That’s fast.

FD7 is worth adding to a collection, IMHO. It’s tuned flatter across the range, so you need to turn up the volume to compensate. When you do so, bass and treble come out to play. The Be driver handles treble details quite well. Detailed and nuanced without the enhanced sense of clarity from upper midrange and lower treble push. Some say FD7 not as technical as competitors but I can’t say I agree.

Why I don’t have one in my collection? There is no reason for one, especially since I still want to climb one step above U12t before “retiring” from the chase. But if I see a “farewell” discount of FD7, I might bite.

A friend recently tried AFUL Cantor and the new 1DD 2BA.

AFUL: “people said we rip off Monarch design, so let’s go after Elysian instead” 😂

Btw, I’ll just put my fingers in my ears and sing “lah lah lah” and refuse to hear criticism of this IEM until I can hear it myself.

If it sucks, then it’s my turn.

Apr 4, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #98,518 of 102,936
Apr 4, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #98,519 of 102,936
Credit to GizAudio, for posting Crinacle's PEQ settings, for the Moondrop Dusk, DSP settings.
I've noted that at least three reviewers have now stated that the "Default DSP" setting (on the included, USB/DAC cable) is their choice, over the default, with the 3.5mm, analog cable. As nuances to the low end (from the rumble of the sub bass, to the lower registers of male vocals) are revealed, when cuts to the upper bands are induced.

In principal, I realize that the upper frequencies conflict with the lower bands. But I've always added dbs to the sub bass region, for the boost. Never thought to achieve the same goal (without stressing out the DD), by making cuts to the upper frequencies instead.

Has anyone tried the "Dusk-Default" settings, on the Blessing 3; which has the same HODDUS driver, as the yet to be released (for mass consumption) Dusk ?

PEQ Dusk.jpg

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #98,520 of 102,936
Credit to GizAudio, for posting Crinacle's PEQ settings, for the Moondrop Dusk, DSP settings.
I've noted that at least three reviewers have now stated that the "Default DSP" setting (on the included, USB/DAC cable) is their choice, over the default, with the 3.5mm, analog cable. As nuances to the low end (from the rumble of the sub bass, to the lower registers of male vocals) are revealed, when cuts to the upper bands are induced.

In principal, I realize that the upper frequencies conflict with the lower bands. But I've always added dbs to the sub bass region, for the boost. Never thought to achieve the same goal (without stressing out the DD), by making cuts to the upper frequencies instead.

Has anyone tried the "Dusk-Default" settings, on the Blessing 3; which has the same HODDUS driver, as the yet to be released (for mass consumption) Dusk ?

PEQ Dusk.jpg
That is promising. As a non-android user, I don't think I'll have access to the Moondrop app which I've heard is terrible anyways. I'll brush the dust off the blessing 3 and test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back