The discovery thread!
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #98,116 of 100,720
Hi all, just posted a review of the Sennheiser IE200 on The Headphoneer. Compared it to quite a few IEMs too :)

https://www.headphoneer.com/sennheiser-ie200-review/

1000013787.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:55 AM Post #98,117 of 100,720
So hard to pick, as I tend to bounce around quite a bit, but if I was forced to choose just one to keep, and get rid of the rest, I'd probably choose the Sony A306, if only because of it's size and overall customization ability, followed ever so closely by the WM1A and DX170 a tight and close second?
Would you pick the a306 over the a55 with MrWalkman?

I really want to buy the wm1a m2 one day

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #98,119 of 100,720
@Ceeluh7

Just one thing: when you do a new review, perhaps wise to drop a link in this thread. This thread is as good as any to take people like me who don't necessarily go out in search of reviews of products, or go to threads dedicated to those iems, but do venture from here. Can't hurt. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #98,120 of 100,720

This morning's setup with EA1000 and BTR7.

These IEMs provide impressive sonic detail, offer good isolation even outdoors, and are comfortable even for long sessions.
Certainly one of my best purchases.

Absolutely agree. The Simgot EA1000 are great. The tuning nozzles make for three different signs signatures, all are good.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #98,121 of 100,720
:fire: Burn :fire:

This is actually my second go around, on doing an A:B between a DD only IEM; where one was given +75 hrs. of break in, versus a fresh set out the box. At the time, the IEM used was the TFZ No. 3.

On the TFZ No. 3, I found that the brand new set really attacked my sensitivity to the upper bands. Where as the set that was broken in, were more tolerable.

For this go around I chose the 7hz Legato. I paired both units with the same cable, tips and source (FiiO BTR7). The only variance being the cable termination: 2.5mm (brand new unit) and 4.4mm (broke in unit)

Is the difference huge ? No
Is there a difference ? Yes

Test song: Lollipop, Lil Wayne
In the intro, there's a singular note drop, that hits deep and is unencumbered, of surrounding notes.

The new unit's playback of the referenced sub bass hit are a touch sloppy, in the initial hit of said note. The unit that has been broken in presents a slightly wider vocal presentation.

Will naysayers claim unit variance, sure; are they correct, maybe. But I'll know more, once I give the new unit, more baking time.
Burn in test.jpg

edit, to add:
Yes, the offending TFZ No. 3 did tame down, after a proper break in.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #98,122 of 100,720

This morning's setup with EA1000 and BTR7.

These IEMs provide impressive sonic detail, offer good isolation even outdoors, and are comfortable even for long sessions.
Certainly one of my best purchases.
I am having a similar morning. I am having a coffee at my desk where I do my listening, also went with the EA1000 but have it paired with a Schiit Magni Unity w/ internal DAC module. I agree, the EA1000 was a great purchase and always manages to impress.

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #98,123 of 100,720
Totally agree. I like those faceplates they showed off late last year better than the ones they recently posted. The recent ones are kind of a knockoff of the Aroma Jewel.

I'm also getting Quattro vibes

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #98,124 of 100,720
That really makes sense and I could have expected such an answer but to tell the truth my ears are not analytical enough and if I have to spend 5-10 minutes changing filter/foam I'd probably have forgotten what the other tuning sounds like.... I can hear some differences but I really need to be able to A/B them. So I guess I am mostly looking for some pointers. I know you mentioned the black ring nozzle from ea500 before and liked it so maybe the better question would be: do you know which filter/foam combination Simgot uses there? What is your favorite setup for the diy nozzles now?
I did mainly buy the set for the longer nozzles, not too much for playing with the different options.
DSC01737.JPG

The longer nozzle thing. This is to me the best sounding version of the Himalaya. The nozzle I am using is Simgots black ring nozzle or the Simgot Harmon curve which I never use on the EA1000. Just my opinion but to be honest I am not a fan of Simgots Harmon curve. Its a bit aggressive compared to the Harmon 2019 nozzles which is the stock nozzles that comes with Simgot IEMs. I figured since I was not using these nozzles might as well put them to use. I tried the Himalaya with and without that foam piece you are seeing. The foam piece is from the Simgot EA500 tuning kit that I posted about yesterday that you can buy for a $1.

So what this longer tip and nozzle combo does for me is it seems to generate a bigger projection of the stock sonics on the Himalaya. I get greater impact and extension for bass. Mids are more full bodied and trebles have better air. It just improves everything about the sound of the Himalaya for me.

What that foam piece does is it smooths out the upper mid and treble frequencies by maybe a db or two at the most. I like the sound of the Himalaya either way with or without the foam but I decided to keep the foam. If you add too much mesh and foam combination it takes a bit too much away from the trebles which is not a good idea. Skews the balancing towards lower mids and bass.. Again some folks might like that but I went for a balanced presentation which sounds best for these IMO. So this is what I meant for experimentation. And for folks that believe in the subtleties of cables and tips. I elongated the nozzles to a greater degree by using a wider nozzle double flange silicone tip modded with a piece of foam from taking out a Symbio tip foam to add firmness to the lower flange of the tip. I seem to need a deeper seal for my ears for the best sonics using the Himalaya. As per cable combos.

This is a much more expensive cable in the Penon Renata but I really like how the Simgot LC7 cable works on the Himalaya as well.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:15 AM Post #98,125 of 100,720
Just a quick question to all. How often would you take a musical/euphonic sounding IEM over a technical beast?
What factors will contribute to a good balance between them?
Taking my recent IEM: the CCA Trio. What it does really well is the spacing, separation, and imaging. That would come in technical beast side of things? Then i would want that too. It adds to my enjoyment of the musical iem through that. Without those traits, Trio is just another iem, that needs a FC6 type dongle to sound lusher and full-bodied. But with that (with or without FC6 type dac), I fully appreciate what it offers. I have been pleasantly surprised by its treble (shimmery but without the jar ache) and i can tone it down with the switch. Would that (treble) skill come in technical side of things? In Trio's case, as I see it, its the tech beast side of it that makes it a (budget) jewel.

Sometimes, it seems separating time and space - we can't. Both are intrinsically linked. Huh, sorry for going heavy-duty tangent there! Point is i feel both traits are intrinsically linked and it seems dependent on the iem how much more one wants.

Again, another eg: Penon Fan2. I can just listen for its addictive mids and heaviness with which it plays certain type of music I have that suits em. It doesn't even need FC6 type attachment to enhance that part. @baskingshark explained here once that addictive quality of the mids comes down how gently the frequency graph slopes in that region (if I understood him right) and that's what makes it musical. Even that description, seems to get into technical side of things but if we say no it doesn't, then for iems like F2, I can take the musicality of it over the tech attributes of the Trio. But then, that type of arbitrary mix-and-match and judgement (from applying tech traits of other iem on this) seems wrong to me.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #98,126 of 100,720
S15 is smoother and warmer sounding than MP145, I am sensetive to the metallic planar timbre that is almost gone on S15 but its still there on MP145. This make MP145 sound a little unreal and artificial.

MP145 Comfort is not good for me due to both angle of the nozzle and sharp edges on the shell, to position it well the bottom sharp edge digs into my ear.

Technicalities is very close to the same imo.

Soundstage is the only place where MP145 is better than S15, to me sound very large and wide.

Price is the biggest deciding factor, few would want to pay the double to get S15. Also many dislike the design.
Hidisz is also a questionable brand to me, due to honesty.
Are we using the Same nozzle filter? I am using the Red one and S15 has bigger stage, better technicalities and finishing definition.
MP145 is tall but isn't that good with its width or Z axis presence.
Without the Red Nozzle filter, MP145 is nothing like the S15. Its a lot more v shaped and bass is unnatural.

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #98,128 of 100,720
Are we using the Same nozzle filter? I am using the Red one and S15 has bigger stage, better technicalities and finishing definition.
MP145 is tall but isn't that good with its width or Z axis presence.
Without the Red Nozzle filter, MP145 is nothing like the S15. Its a lot more v shaped and bass is unnatural.
S15 sound more natural in the stage, agree there. MP145 sounded very wide to me, but again soundstage is very dependent on ear anatomy. Bass quantity sounded very close to the same, just that the upper energy of MP145 making it more V shaped. Can't remember the filters I used, understand many like it. Even though it was not for me.

It's a reason why S15 getting use every week and I gave away MP145 👍

Mar 30, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #98,130 of 100,720
Bunker rave? That's a new one for me.
Well, this is how we started in 1993. It's not exactly a bunker rave, but it was under a city tunnel rave.
That tunnel was also a bunker at that time because there was a war happening in our country/city.
**** it and **** the war...we had to party!!!!
Wild experiences during the '90s here and Techno culture...if you haven't experienced it, you can't imagined it.

So...A BUNKER RAVE!!! :wink:

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back