The discovery thread!
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #97,696 of 103,025
Friends. What have you bought at this Aliexpress Anniversary sale? What is the damage to the wallet?

Any worthwhile deals?
Not a damn thing because I just bought a used pair of ZMF Aeolus over-ears. Love 'em.

But man, I'm tempted ... Still, I have a rule: If I don't have the funds on hand from other sales or gig income from my band, I don't buy. I sold two pairs of cans to fund the Aeolus. I'm selling some old electronics gear and have another gig early next month, so I may sneak in an IEM purchase from the sale before the end of the month. :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #97,697 of 103,025
the last greatest croat dancer out there!
I never said that, just that I was gooood, hmm, still am!!! :))

But I was the only white boy playing basketball in NYC with brothers in the park in Queens 1988...and man, I was gooood :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

And you know the history...In 1992, they made a movie with Woody Harrelson..."White Man Can't Jump" (you know that's not true :wink: )

Thanks for the recommendation. I love Indian filmography, not Bollywood (Even though it's fun) :)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #97,698 of 103,025
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?

In no particular order:

Campfire Black Star
Penon Quattro + Han Sound Vodun
Dita Project M + NiceHCK Dragonscale 2

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #97,699 of 103,025
Keep em coming, 75 different IEMs mentioned so far 😮 will compile some data after the weekend 🫡

Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
Softears Twilight
Thieaudio Prestige LTD(my friend's unit not mine).

Third place would be taken by Verdandi I beleive hehe.

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #97,700 of 103,025
I never said that, just that I was gooood, hmm, still am!!! :))

But I was the only white boy playing basketball in NYC with brothers in the park in Queens 1988...and man, I was gooood :stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

And you know the history...In 1992, they made a movie with Woody Harrelson..."White Man Can't Jump" (you know that's not true :wink: )

Thanks for the recommendation. I love Indian filmography, not Bollywood (Even though it's fun) :)
Ha ha not just the greatest dancer but the best white basketballer- the myth keeps growing!

And yeah remember that movie. Shortly afterwards, iirc, came the same lead pair's next movie: 'money train' too. Later, not sure when, I read about his father. Fun times.

Oops, I feel like we derailing the thread. So, stopping here.

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #97,703 of 103,025
Yep the buds 2 pro sound amazingly good for inexpensive tws, they go on sale for 100 euros sometimes, and okish anc to boot

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #97,704 of 103,025
Friends. What have you bought at this Aliexpress Anniversary sale? What is the damage to the wallet?

Any worthwhile deals?
I don't know why, but more cables

1. GrKing, in green
1711224920365.png

to go with the
2. Tansio Mirai X

3. 7hz Legato
, to replace the one that Amazon sold me, as new in box. But instead, I got used, in baggie 😡
amazon legato.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #97,705 of 103,025
I don't know why, but more cables

1. GrKing, in green
1711224920365.png

to go with the
2. Tansio Mirai X

3. 7hz Legato
, to replace the one that Amazon sold me, as new in box. But instead, I got used, in baggie 😡
amazon legato.jpg
I've also bought cables, like a lot... got the NiceHCK OurLaura and XINHS 8 Core Bright & Dark Cooper to go with TSMR-X and currently using this:

$37.80 79%OFF | Type6 756 core Shielding 7n Litz OCC Earphone Cable For 0.78mm Step 2 core 2.8mm LN008006
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mslMPwa

So, yes... I'm crazy 3 cables for one iem.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #97,706 of 103,025
Keep em coming, 75 different IEMs mentioned so far 😮 will compile some data after the weekend 🫡

Sorry, some answers made me mislead about this, and I don't own Odin so I have to change mine :
The two are still the same
1. Sony IER-Z1R
2. Unique Melody Mest OG/Mk I
But the current fave I got recently :
3. KZ PR3 (Modded) 😲

2024 : Year of Intestines
Keep them coming!

Thanks!

I've not heard "TOTL" priced iem like FIR audio/64, JH audio, Elysian, etc. But this selection in the mid-price seems to be a sweet spot; I can't justify paying thousands just yet.

I have also been stuck on China-made iem, as they seem to have got it right and offer an excellent price to value, in my opinion.

Cheers
From my limited experience journey, of any price, I think the sweet spot of best of the best sounding x value are sit somewhere around $1,000 - $1,500.

I'd like to have as value as possible IEMs that can satisfy me without lot of nitpickings and have real TOTL sounding, but IEMs below $ 1,000 still can't representing TOTL soundings, the great tuning and great technicalities, without real caveats. It is really worth to save and spend for one someday if you never try them. I know a kilobucks set is expensive but they offered nice sounding in 1 package with good quality driver, good tuning and great technicalities.

Something like Sony IER-M9, 64audio U4S, UM Mest, Thieaudio Monarch MkIII, etc are the gatekeepers, you just have to pick wisely.

On other side, multikilobucks above $2,000 aren't justified enough for me, with very big diminishing returns, like slight refinement from those $1,000-1,500 sets but with double or triple the price.

There was polling about best of the best IEMs of any price on watercooler's thread on 2023, the Fir Audio Radon Rn6 ($3,200) was approved as the no 1 and Sony IER-Z1R ($1,700) on 2nd place. I forgot the 3rd place, maybe Annihilator ($3,000) CMIIW. To be honest I was quite surprised with the result, with those 3 beating lot of great contenders with multikilobucks tag IEMs. They are all great IEMs with only slight differences and more personal bias and preferences but with diminishing return is really steep here.
That is convincing me 1 more time that the sweet spot between value and performance soundwise are sit on $1,000 - $1,500.
Of course if money isn't an objection, you are free to grab the best sounding IEMs to your ear even with hefty price tag.
Just sharing my 2 cents here.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #97,708 of 103,025
I decided to dip into the spring sales going on and bought the Xenns Mangird Top for 450.00. I recall someone telling me it would be good for electronica and other complex music and I saved 80 dollars. I know it has dropped to just under 400 at Aliexpress, but I bought mine from Linsoul. Did I do ok with this purchase. Decides to stay away things like the Pula and Origin for right now.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #97,710 of 103,025
Sorry, some answers made me mislead about this, and I don't own Odin so I have to change mine :
The two are still the same
1. Sony IER-Z1R
2. Unique Melody Mest OG/Mk I
But the current fave I got recently :
3. KZ PR3 (Modded) 😲

2024 : Year of Intestines
Keep them coming!

From my limited experience journey, of any price, I think the sweet spot of best of the best sounding x value are sit somewhere around $1,000 - $1,500.

I'd like to have as value as possible IEMs that can satisfy me without lot of nitpickings and have real TOTL sounding, but IEMs below $ 1,000 still can't representing TOTL soundings, the great tuning and great technicalities, without real caveats. It is really worth to save and spend for one someday if you never try them. I know a kilobucks set is expensive but they offered nice sounding in 1 package with good quality driver, good tuning and great technicalities.

Something like Sony IER-M9, 64audio U4S, UM Mest, Thieaudio Monarch MkIII, etc are the gatekeepers, you just have to pick wisely.

On other side, multikilobucks above $2,000 aren't justified enough for me, with very big diminishing returns, like slight refinement from those $1,000-1,500 sets but with double or triple the price.

There was polling about best of the best IEMs of any price on watercooler's thread on 2023, the Fir Audio Radon Rn6 ($3,200) was approved as the no 1 and Sony IER-Z1R ($1,700) on 2nd place. I forgot the 3rd place, maybe Annihilator ($3,000) CMIIW. To be honest I was quite surprised with the result, with those 3 beating lot of great contenders with multikilobucks tag IEMs. They are all great IEMs with only slight differences and more personal bias and preferences but with diminishing return is really steep here.
That is convincing me 1 more time that the sweet spot between value and performance soundwise are sit on $1,000 - $1,500.
Of course if money isn't an objection, you are free to grab the best sounding IEMs to your ear even with hefty price tag.
Just sharing my 2 cents here.
Yeah, I'm sure I'll end up getting one eventually... I'm a huge Sony fan, but lately stuck with China iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back