The discovery thread!
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #97,622 of 102,990
Warning...Final Audio E5000...really loves the power... lots of it...
7.5W per channel, high gain and running on 60%...that's a lot Final... :ksc75smile:

EDIT: Hmm, it was not on balanced..it was on SE connected...not 7.5W...it was 3.75W :scream:
The House was not on fire...but still it burns. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #97,623 of 102,990
Anyone have an opinion on the Hisenior Mega5 EST? I’m aware it’s been out for a while. It’s been receiving very favorable reviews from more mainstream sources such as headphones.com. Looks like a pretty good value with the current sales at 400 and change.
It's very good, even at the 550usd its a bargain for what you get. Made a review not so long ago for it, warm neutral set that's really refined.

There have been a retune of Mega5EST, with new drivers and tuning. So older reviews from before the Anniversary model isn't accurate anymore, atleast as I understand. Headphones.com highly praised it, HBB gave it good cred. DMS had to mention Mega5est twice in the canjam recap video.

So go for it if you want a well done tribrid :beerchug:

1000030625.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #97,624 of 102,990
Anyone have an opinion on the Hisenior Mega5 EST? I’m aware it’s been out for a while. It’s been receiving very favorable reviews from more mainstream sources such as headphones.com. Looks like a pretty good value with the current sales at 400 and change.
Hisenior might be one of the most underrated companies? My next set is definitely one of theirs.

Warning...Final Audio E5000...really loves the power... lots of it...
7.5W per channel, high gain and running on 60%...that's a lot Final... :ksc75smile:
That's just crazy. It must have something to do with foam filters. And lots of them. E5000 is on my maybesomeday list.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #97,625 of 102,990
I had the hisenior mega5est but just found it kinda blah for the price. I quickly sold it. Decent technicals, decent everything, but didn’t get me out of bed. But I felt the same about the subtonic storm when I heard it.

If you can demo it and love it, go for it, but don’t blind buy* it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #97,626 of 102,990
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
--------
Can start my self, in no order:
  • Campfire Audio Bonneville
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II
I can compile the entrys over a week if it's interesting for folks, I think it's interesting to see what people love here.

DSCF4632-1.jpgDSCF4578.jpgDSCF4620.jpg

PENON QUATTRO

HISENION OKAVANGO

DUNU FALCON ULTRA

I would like to add others that I use in rotation,
but I stick to the rule.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #97,627 of 102,990
Since we are at end of March, would be fun to ask what is people's current 3 favorites that you own?
--------
Can start my self, in no order:
  • Campfire Audio Bonneville
  • AüR Audio Ascension
  • 634ears Miroak-II
I can compile the entrys over a week if it's interesting for folks, I think it's interesting to see what people love here.
- Penon 10th
- TSMR-X
- Fiio FD7

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #97,628 of 102,990
IMG_8594.jpeg
IMG_8593.jpeg

My 2 cents on KIWI EARS SINGOLO.

I have to agree with what @Jaytiss said about the poor quality of the packaging and accessories.
They saved the most.

However, for me it is of relative importance in this price range if the IEM sounds as it should.

And this one does.

The shells vaguely remind me of the ORCHESTRA LITE, even if the shape is different, and, as far as I'm concerned, they adapt much worse to the shape of my ear.

In particular, what I find inconvenient is the length (shortness) of the nozzles: they are really short for me,
and I have not found any of the tips in the package capable of providing a minimally effective seal.
(to the point that on first listening they sounded like crap, and I said to myself 'it's impossible for Crin to put this IEM on the market with his name on it').

I then looked for a couple of slightly 'long' tips,
and finally I was able to enjoy the IEM.

Coming to how they sound, I find them quite detailed,
with incisive bass (rather dry and fast), mids and highs well present (perhaps, in certain congested musical passages, a little messy. But it could be the lack of burn)

Good separation of instruments.
The tone is good.
The rendering of the voices is good.

In short, I find them very well tuned.

A song that made an impression on me when I listened to it was this:

A practical note: I find these IEMs to be very power hungry.

It could be the synergy with my XD05-PRO, it could be that I'm using the stock SE cable, be that as it may

I have to keep the volume at the same level as the KZ-PR2 to make them perform at their best.

And I didn't expect this and it surprised me.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #97,629 of 102,990
Hisenior has done so many silent tuning I would not recommend the 5 or the 5 EST because you never know what you are getting and what anyone's review was based on.

I have reviewed both and the versions I listened to and definitely not a rec!
Mushy bass, Rolled off highs , and couldn't hear the EST'S

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #97,630 of 102,990
Ooh, comparing anything to Gaea is, hm, moot? Almost? Very unique certainly.
I type and removed U12t from the response to Leonarfd because I asked myself “I must be hallucinating. It does not sound right”

But it is indeed right. In the Leaving on a Jet Plane (recorded version) of John Denver, there is a constant pattern of piercing bell on the right ear. With both the Gaea and U12t, it’s winching. With the Crimson, the bell is not as loud. I hear the same with the cymbals and hats in Playing God by Polyphia too.

I haven’t looked at the graph of crimson but I assume it has an emphasis at 3kHz like Monarch III and then smoothly extending to 20kHz without strong dip or peak. The level of 5-6kHz should be lower than 3kHz.

Don’t get me wrong, the Crimson is not a relaxed listening 😂 It’s crisp and energetic, and can easily be bright for some.

Mar 22, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #97,631 of 102,990
As for my favourite three IEMs:
KZ AS24
Audiosense T800
KZ ASX (modified with a wide nozzle)

They are the IEMs that bring most immediate enjoyment for the engagement and impact. I have many more that I like and enjoy for their special rendering. I stopped reacting to hype trains, promotions, I do not watch sny youtube and just enjoy my own exploration :)

Also to get a closure on KZ Symphony, I compared Symphony to few other similar relevant IEMs:
20240322_175100.jpg

Left to right on our 115+ year old keyboard are Moondrop May, Symphony, KZ PR1 pro, and CCA Trio.

Symphony dissapointed me largely by its name - hardly it is much geared/suitable for symphonic music with its V and prominent bass, IMO.

Otherwise, Symphony's V profile moderated by my wide-bore tips (TRI Clarion) was quite acceptable and not bad at all overall - the bass is prominent: nice and punchy; the upper part is that of the planars; while the treble can be a bit fatiguing for some, while OK for me.
So those who like ZSN series culminating in Krila and recent ZSN pro 2, may consider Symphony for an engaging and more resolving upgrade.

Then comparing Symphony to PR1 pro, the latter is more rounded (mote "toward Harman"), and if the current sale of PR1 at $30 is still on, Symphony is largely undercut.

Also, I prefer Moondrop May to Symphony - while May resolution is definitey less, the integration and overall enjoyment of May is at the higher level for me.

Trio is definitely a great IEM at $30-$40. A different development from Symphony. In some sense, they are complementary but then PR1 Pro is better in complimentarity than Symphony there.
May is more likeable to my preferences than Trio (more even, given the price difference) and old DQ6 is also conpetitive with Trio to my ears - I am quite OK with DQ6 treble, so the overall engagement of DQ6 is a bit more preferable for me.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #97,632 of 102,990
As for my favourite three IEMs:
KZ AS24
Audiosense T800
KZ ASX (modified with a wide nozzle)

They are the IEMs that bring most immediate enjoyment for the engagement and impact. I have many more that I like and enjoy for their special rendering. I stopped reacting to hype trains, promotions, I do not watch sny youtube and just enjoy my own exploration :)

Also to get a closure on KZ Symphony, I compared Symphony to few other similar relevant IEMs:
20240322_175100.jpg
Left to right on our 115+ year old keyboard are Moondrop May, Symphony, KZ PR1 pro, and CCA Trio.

Symphony dissapointed me largely by its name - hardly it is much geared/suitable for symphonic music with its V and prominent bass, IMO.

Otherwise, Symphony's V profile moderated by my wide-bore tips (TRI Clarion) was quite acceptable and not bad at all overall - the bass is prominent: nice and punchy; the upper part is that of the planars; while the treble can be a bit fatiguing for some, while OK for me.
So those who like ZSN series culminating in Krila and recent ZSN pro 2, may consider Symphony for an engaging and more resolving upgrade.

Then comparing Symphony to PR1 pro, the latter is more rounded (mote "toward Harman"), and if the current sale of PR1 at $30 is still on, Symphony is largely undercut.

Also, I prefer Moondrop May to Symphony - while May resolution is definitey less, the integration and overall enjoyment of May is at the higher level for me.

Trio is definitely a great IEM at $30-$40. A different development from Symphony. In some sense, they are complementary but then PR1 Pro is better in complimentarity than Symphony there.
May is more likeable to my preferences than Trio (more even, given the price difference) and old DQ6 is also conpetitive with Trio to my ears - I am quite OK with DQ6 treble, so the overall engagement of DQ6 is a bit more preferable for me.
The may seems like a great deal and and very practical purchase with the DSP cable.

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #97,633 of 102,990
Friends. What have you bought at this Aliexpress Anniversary sale? What is the damage to the wallet?

Any worthwhile deals?

8k3l50.jpg

TRN.PNG

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #97,634 of 102,990
Friends. What have you bought at this Aliexpress Anniversary sale? What is the damage to the wallet?

Any worthwhile deals?

8k3l50.jpg
TRN.PNG
Hey, 8 dollars off though. Seems like a deal.

I am getting cables. Lotta cables. 5 or 6 cables. My things need to MATCH I am tired of it!

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #97,635 of 102,990
Crazy ass long post incoming! Sorry for the essay but there's so much to catch up on... you guys sure move fast sometimes!

Such a fun idea, I'm always so down to participate in these lists, thanks for firing up the engine on this one, Leo!

1. My pair of Monarch MK2
Edit-3-2.jpg

The reason why I say my pair specifically is because for whatever reason, these are tuned quite differently to the intended target from Thie. Not sure what happened over in China, but dude, lemme tell you guys, they're incredible. Still one of the best IEMs I have ever had the chance to listen to... A graph for reference if that means anything!
graph.png

I know it doesn't look like much, but I promise the added lower mids and mid-bass + the reduced upper mids and slightly smoother treble is just... Chef's kiss.

2. OG MiM Dark Magician - Vocal Magic these things.
3. Sound Rhyme SR5 - Just a great all-around IEM for less than $200.

In terms of the IEMs I've heard over the years but don't own...

1. Elysian Annihilator
2. Subtonic STORM
3. Symphonium Titan
Nice! Current top 3…
Man, your photos are gorgeous. Thank you for blessing us with these visuals!
I'm exploring it now. Wonderful set. Better than all other Hisenior I heard probably.
The EST has been gaining some serious traction lately, I'm super pumped for Gareth and the team at HiSenior. The T4s are in my ears as we speak and I missed these things so much!
Sony IER M9
Sony XBA-N3
Moondrop Variations
Classy top 3 as expected from a gentleman such as your self :beerchug:
Hisenior might be one of the most underrated companies? My next set is definitely one of theirs.
Totally Agreed
Hisenior has done so many silent tuning I would not recommend the 5 or the 5 EST because you never know what you are getting and what anyone's review was based on.

I have reviewed both and the versions I listened to and definitely not a rec!
Mushy bass, Rolled off highs , and couldn't hear the EST'S
Dude, I'm so surprised to read you writing this. Are you still getting on with your customs from them?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back