The discovery thread!
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #97,456 of 100,464
A while back I was able to demo the Cascara, Ponderosa, and Supermoon over the course of 45-60 minutes and I wasn't really convinced by any of them. I didn't get to try the Bonneville but I'm not entirely inclined to think I'll like it any better. I'd have to demo it.

2903BBF9-F732-4936-B3AD-09A35C48AB48.jpeg

Symphonium Crimson has landed 🎉 (Tour unit, not my toy, btw). They look very similar to Meteor, just larger.

So far, I love this IEM. With a pair of small Velvet tips, I have excellent fit and comfort. Maybe thanks to the tips, I haven’t experienced pressure build up even though this is a completely sealed IEM.

Sound wise, it’s neutral. Notes are tight and somewhat “thin”, so if you are looking for thick lush sound, this presentation would stand out like a sore thumb. For me, I find this presentation crystal clear. I didn’t hear sibilance or shrillness even with shrill and harsh tracks. To me, this IEM does the best job at “disappearing”.

Stage, imaging, and resolution are all effortless.

Regarding driving, get your strongest amp out because it is very hard to drive (6ohm, 83dB/mW). You can get it loud, but the stage and separation and detail would suffer. How much depends on the loudness you listen and the amount of bass in your track. The R3ii barely makes it for simpler tracks but can sounds congested and closed in with difficult tracks. Aful Snowy Night handles this IEM nearly to the best. The DX300 has a slight edge over the dongle.

I wish I still have the R8ii here to see how that DAP can handle this IEM.

I'd definitely like to at least demo the Crimson, but 4x BA is still 4x BA at the end of the day and I think it'll probably be too lacking in what I'm looking for, never mind that I don't really like non-vented IEMs. I don't have a bias against BAs themselves but I like the extra oomph you get out of a DD. I'd say having an EST for the highs is something I enjoy based on past experiences, but they're not as common in the bracket.

The Titan seems like it might be pretty good based on feedback from CanJam and is apparently only a couple weeks off, so it's on my very short list. The only other ones in the bracket that I've had in mind were the Monarch Mk III–which I don't think will work in terms of fit based on the Mk II, and I'm skeptical of the QC–and Singularity. Maybe the Ascension, but the provided warranty is pretty subpar in a market where they're generally not amazing to begin with.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #97,457 of 100,464
https://www.linsoul.com/products/kiwi-ears-flex-ear-tips

New Kiwi Ears tips - $14.99
1710940950911.png

1710940997420.png

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #97,458 of 100,464
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #97,459 of 100,464
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #97,460 of 100,464
Findings of today's Listening session.
When I first heard Soundz Avant, it was a full reference stage monitor and with a neutral source like Aune M1p, it was as close as natural, lifelike and I was finding some coloration and engagement in the spectrum just to satisfy my taste.
Cut to today's session,
At step 1, it changed the tips to Spinfit W1, and I was surprised in a moment. The sound changed bass got a bit more punch while keeping the beautiful vocal performance intact. It was instant a 9 out of 10 set for me increased by 1 point of the initial impression.
Step 2, Changed the stock cable to Linum DualBaX. It is so refined that it is grabbing the legendary position. A 10/10 performance as a whole. What a beast of a set. Linum has already partnered with some class-leading stage monitors like InEar, Westone, Etymotic Research and so on. This just validated.
😌

1710944243716.png

1710944263065.png

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #97,461 of 100,464
I couldn't find any thread here regarding aliexpress issues so I'm posting here.
Anyone having issues buying from Aliexpress anniversary sale like in the image? can't even buy anything in original price. chat with 5 agents and they all show me the same instructions which I tried dozens of time. I also tried another card, account, app, different browsers, removed coupons but nothing is working there. thanks
They want to save your wallet. Did you try Paypal? Maybe there is like some region block? Try VPN.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #97,462 of 100,464
Hello folks, another day another pokemon, let me introduce you a very well known set, probally.
Simgot EA500LM (stock, Spinfit W1)
432521718_961633408813502_8122368836031184270_n.jpg

graph.png

If you're interested in graph comparision, here's the Link
+ i'm a normal asian dude with some music producing background
+ i like clean balanced sound signature with focus on sub bass and lower treble, especially looking for a good dynamism and harmonic playthrough
+ i like vocal, not necessary mid dominant, can consider myself as treblehead
+ 60-68db listening session
- Bass (6/10): A big bold bass that doesn't mess up with sound signature (neutral), quite pleasing and comforting bass, may not have the best deepness/tactility/thump, just enough of every department (probally might not sound as good as EA1000 but bigger bass, better score)
- Mid (7,5/10): The very same Simgot house sound but smoother, more pleasing than other, probally my favorite so far!
- Vocal (6/10): Vshape, you know it :wink:, have some sibilance to the very top end, not so noticeable but something you have to aware (because i'm low volume listener)
- Treble (6/10): typical Harman tuned, airy and correct, slight sibilance (less than EA500, more than EA1000)
- Detail (5,3/10): Macro detail (5,3/10), Micro detail (5,3/10)
- Soundstage (6,5/10): a slightly holographic stage, about the size of "average living room"
- Imaging (5,5/10): Good micro spacing from left to right, lack layers
Bias (7/10): Vshape
Overall: 6,1/10 (slightly better than EA500)
A much better buy compare to EA500 and EA1000, very very recommended for the asking price (90$).
To be honest, while i really like EA500LM when it come to overall package, i missed that unique sound signature of EA500, doesn't mean that EA500LM is bad but i don't feel as passionate about it compare to EA500. It doesn't have that distinct soundstage that i like, don't have that clear and vivid instrument position that i like, don't have the dynamic that i'm always looking for, and the balanced between musical and detail tacitility, i missed those.
Suck to be someone who loved neutral soundsignature!
Here's EA500 and EA1000 score for comparision
EA500
-Bass (5,5/10): "Deep reaching" and "Airy" is how i would describe the Bass. But i would love a little more in Quantity and Quality.
-Mid (7/10): Wow the tune is soooo good, fundamental and note between is so clear, so distinct. Any intrument will come as clear, as beautiful as you can imagine
-Vocals (4,5/10): Just avarage in both Male and Female vocals, The base is good but edgy on top.
-Treble (5,5/10): Airy, Extension is really good. Slight sibilance in Pop and Rock, good for EDM/Orchestra
-Detail (5/10): Detail (Macro): 5,5/10, Resolution/Resolving power (Micro) 4,5/10
-Soundstage (6.5/10): Spacious, Airy, somewhat sounds holographic. Not the final boss in Soundstage but pretty enjoyable
-Imaging (7/10): Almost X-ray Imaging
-Staging: Spread in all Axis, well think about being in the middle of a ball, go back to like 1/3 length of the ball, that where we standing.
-Bias (6,5/10): Bass boosted Bright DF Neutral (wow that mouthful)
Overall: 6/10 (B+ tier) lol somehow
Well probally not for you if you're a vocals lover (like i do) but if you love Instrumental or EDM, they're aboslute gem. Listening to Porter Robinson make me feels like i'm in the middle of forest!
EA1000
- Bass (6/10): Well rounded bass, enjoyable, definitely a step up from EA500 however, lacking excitement and that subwoofer kind of bass from EA500 (EA500 bass isn't good either, they just have different feeling, depends on what you like)
- Mid (7/10): still that goodness of Simgot house sound, both tune and detail is just about right
- Vocal (5,3/10): Vocal sound more foward and correct versus EA500, still sound average, somehow.
- Treble (6/10): While sibilance issue (that i have with EA500) is fixed, it sound less airy and lack shimmering when compare the two, still gonna give an edge to EA1000 since it's tuned more mature.
- Detail (5,3/10): Macro detail (6/10), Micro detail (4,5/10)
- Soundstage (4/10): suuuuuper average, compare to 6,5/10 of EA500
- Imaging (5/10): slightly better than just stereo, still suck
Bias (7/10): Balanced
Overall: 5,5/10
Hate to say that i didn't enjoy EA1000, more mature sound signature make the EA1000 feels less special and less likely going to stay. For more than 200$, idk man, i'm sorry, i really wish i would love this set.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #97,465 of 100,464
For those of you that own the Softears Twilight, do you consider that iem the best under $1000?
It's certainly one of my favorites in the 750-1000 price range, but not the best. The other IEMs in that price range I've owned are the Sound Rhyme DTE900 and the Aur Audio Ascension. They're both good as well, just different flavors. The Twilight doesn't have as much bass or treble extension as the other two, but it makes up for it with really smooth mids and its open-back special sauce.

If you like a lot of bass and don't mind waiting a couple weeks, the Symphonium Titan will be released on 4/6 at CanJam SG. It's their bassy set going for 1k.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #97,466 of 100,464
What's worth considering in the $1k bracket (with some flexibility) these days for bass and mid focused IEMs? Ideally with a DD and not losing much on the treble front. I kinda feel like I miss EST drivers, too, as I've enjoyed ones that have them. I know you won't get an Xe6 for that money, but think along those lines; a warm leaning w-ish shape that keeps its sense of separation without letting the bass dominate everything. Comfort is important, too. I know there are some obvious options, but figured I'd pick peoples' brains.
AüR Audio Ascension is a classy one.

Its 10mm DD bass with a strong magnet is the best I have experienced, with ample subbass extension and unapologetic midbass slam.

ESTs are tuned to perfection as in not bringing any sharpness but delivering every ounce of detail and musicality.

Most seem to describe mids as forward, but to my ears mids are a tiny bit behind the bass and treble which means I reach for other sets for vocals, but it does them cleanly and naturally without a hint of sibilance while keeping S's to be S's, Sh's to be Sh's, and violins to be violins.

Overall balance can obviously be skewed either way slightly to better fit someone's liking with the 'correct' use of source/cable/tip combo.

1000011678.jpg

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #97,467 of 100,464
1000012575.jpg

And a tiny bit more of AüR Audio appreciation with the Aurora, which I find so calming and just a joy to use whenever I'm tired and need something to gently massage my eardrums.

Musical therapy whenever I desire. That's what it is.

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #97,468 of 100,464
<snip magnet (interesting!)>

Most seem to describe mids as forward, but to my ears mids are a tiny bit behind the bass and treble which means I reach for other sets for vocals, but it does them cleanly and naturally without a hint of sibilance while keeping S's to be S's, Sh's to be Sh's, and violins to be violins.

Overall balance can obviously be skewed either way slightly to better fit someone's liking with the 'correct' use of source/cable/tip combo.

(Query to all)

Can EQ (in its various forms) bring that mids forward (or backward) to one's liking? And will it be almost as good as an iem naturally tuned like that in the factory?

If not. What factors prevent EQ ing from achieving it?

If it does, what's the ideal form of EQ ing you guys indulge in?

PS: I didn't naturally gravitate to EQing until now. The tweaks possible and audibly noticable (pleasurable differences at that) to my ears in the Jamesrootdsp with the dynamic plugin of @Joe Bloggs on a budget DAP HibyM300 , has got me wondering whether I should get into more common forms of EQ (... peq, squig...)

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #97,469 of 100,464
1000012575.jpg
And a tiny bit more of AüR Audio appreciation with the Aurora, which I find so calming and just a joy to use whenever I'm tired and need something to gently massage my eardrums.

Musical therapy whenever I desire. That's what it is.
Missing: a reference to your classified page where the world's best deal is unfolding :)

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #97,470 of 100,464
It's certainly one of my favorites in the 750-1000 price range, but not the best. The other IEMs in that price range I've owned are the Sound Rhyme DTE900 and the Aur Audio Ascension. They're both good as well, just different flavors. The Twilight doesn't have as much bass or treble extension as the other two, but it makes up for it with really smooth mids and its open-back special sauce.

If you like a lot of bass and don't mind waiting a couple weeks, the Symphonium Titan will be released on 4/6 at CanJam SG. It's their bassy set going for 1k.
Of the items you recommend, what would play more complex electronic music best? And have a better extension than Twilight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back