The discovery thread!
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:46 AM Post #97,441 of 99,913
The original GO bar board and the new K2HD equipped Kensei board. This new model is made from stainless steel where the original was aluminum, and has improved power supply and clock circuitry! Can you figure out which is the new ifi Kensei GO bar?

Original aluminum encasement below.

The one with the extra capacitors logically.

I suspect it is an answer to a problem that doesn’t really exist like a lot of this hobby.

I will stick contentedly with my standard Go Bar.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #97,442 of 99,913
The one with the extra capacitors logically.
ifi also made a copper encasement (gold plated) which I’m told is still slightly heavier than this new Kensei. The thing is the original Aluminum GO bar is number three out of everything portable I own. 3rd in line only under the Sony 1Z and Sony WM1A. Really it is the most profoundly real sounding Dongle I own. Slightly more cohesive than the mid pushed WM1A and slightly less stage and contrasts than the Sony past TOTL WM1Z...... yet it is totally fun. I answered a question about what would be good in reference to using the Hype 2 with a possible different cable to use with a phone or MB Air. Yet the solution was keep the Hype 2 cable in 3.5mm (in place) and simply add the GO bar. Really it was that good, I listened to it all morning.:)

Bass was cleaned up from the direct out of the MB Air and stage was bigger, texture was way different, in a good way! It was all I needed yesterday. Probably the realism of the low end was the biggest accomplishment as the Hype has 2 DDs. So the added power and resolution cleaned up the fog and added pace even though it wasn’t from a change in tone. Meaning the low end was clarified and pace was improved without a different tone changed.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #97,443 of 99,913
The original GO bar board and the new K2HD equipped Kensei board. This new model encasement is made from stainless steel where the original was aluminum. This new Kensei has improved power supply and clock circuitry! Can you figure out which one is the new ifi Kensei GO bar?

Original aluminum encasement below.
Its interesting that Ifi still keeps their old "coffin" design all the way to the dongle

Ifi iDSD

1710925258856.jpeg

Ifi iDSD "Nano" (well small for ifi standard at the time)

1710925109683.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #97,444 of 99,913
Its interesting that Ifi still keeps their old "coffin" design all the way to the dongle

Well also many of the extra features are useful ideas in the Dongle realm. Plus never before all seen at once in a Dongle.

And the thing is if you don’t need them, the sound is basically so much better than any Dongle I have tried..........you still benefit regardless. So don’t feel bad for maybe feeling like your paying for stuff your never going to use, because just the sound of this thing is worth the extra expense. Also it is the most powerful Dongle around and can drive many full-size headphones.

Features:
Such features of the regular GO bar are 2X DXD, Full MQA decoding, XBass and XSpace, a number of filters as well as iEMatch. And a 6dB power boost switch by pressing two buttons at once. But this new Kenzei has the K2HD process, which becomes the first portable DAC to incorporate such a feature. Basically it’s JVCKENWOOD’s idea of adding analogue back in to a digital signal.
Studio_401-1024x855.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #97,446 of 99,913
2903BBF9-F732-4936-B3AD-09A35C48AB48.jpeg

Symphonium Crimson has landed 🎉 (Tour unit, not my toy, btw). They look very similar to Meteor, just larger.

So far, I love this IEM. With a pair of small Velvet tips, I have excellent fit and comfort. Maybe thanks to the tips, I haven’t experienced pressure build up even though this is a completely sealed IEM.

Sound wise, it’s neutral. Notes are tight and somewhat “thin”, so if you are looking for thick lush sound, this presentation would stand out like a sore thumb. For me, I find this presentation crystal clear. I didn’t hear sibilance or shrillness even with shrill and harsh tracks. To me, this IEM does the best job at “disappearing”.

Stage, imaging, and resolution are all effortless.

Regarding driving, get your strongest amp out because it is very hard to drive (6ohm, 83dB/mW). You can get it loud, but the stage and separation and detail would suffer. How much depends on the loudness you listen and the amount of bass in your track. The R3ii barely makes it for simpler tracks but can sounds congested and closed in with difficult tracks. Aful Snowy Night handles this IEM nearly to the best. The DX300 has a slight edge over the dongle.

I wish I still have the R8ii here to see how that DAP can handle this IEM.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #97,448 of 99,913
Who has multiple kidneys to sell?

The Audio Technica HPA-KG NARU tube amp beckons.

USD $108,000.00. Obscene number of zeros yes. Only 2 pairs of kidneys unfortunately.

1.png
2.png

4.4 mm (balanced) and 6.3 mm (single ended)
Impedance selector switch allows you to choose the appropriate impedance (32–80 ohms, 80–250 ohms, 250–600 ohms)
2x JJ ECC83S tubes plus 2x Takatsuki TA-300B tubes
Wooden side panels

3.png
so affordable

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #97,449 of 99,913
2903BBF9-F732-4936-B3AD-09A35C48AB48.jpeg

Symphonium Crimson has landed 🎉 (Tour unit, not my toy, btw). They look very similar to Meteor, just larger.

So far, I love this IEM. With a pair of small Velvet tips, I have excellent fit and comfort. Maybe thanks to the tips, I haven’t experienced pressure build up even though this is a completely sealed IEM.

Sound wise, it’s neutral. Notes are tight and somewhat “thin”, so if you are looking for thick lush sound, this presentation would stand out like a sore thumb. For me, I find this presentation crystal clear. I didn’t hear sibilance or shrillness even with shrill and harsh tracks. To me, this IEM does the best job at “disappearing”.

Stage, imaging, and resolution are all effortless.

Regarding driving, get your strongest amp out because it is very hard to drive (6ohm, 83dB/mW). You can get it loud, but the stage and separation and detail would suffer. How much depends on the loudness you listen and the amount of bass in your track. The R3ii barely makes it for simpler tracks but can sounds congested and closed in with difficult tracks. Aful Snowy Night handles this IEM nearly to the best. The DX300 has a slight edge over the dongle.

I wish I still have the R8ii here to see how that DAP can handle this IEM.
Man, you took the words right out of my mouth with your impressions. I'm working on the extended impressions as we speak and in there, I have all the techs coming off as "effortless". I too landed on the Velvets for a short period and they worked great. No pressure build up for me either.

They're not my preferred tonality, but I cannot deny how great of an IEM they are.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #97,451 of 99,913
Campfire Audio Bonneville $1.4k is maybe the funniest and fullest sounded IEM I have used, punchy deep and big bass. Full sounding midrange, and due to the upper mids having a dip it's never tiresome. Crisp and detailed treble, overall just very resolving for such a fun and thick sounding set.
I concur 100%. IMO Bonneville is an absolute steal at $1.4k. Such a good blend of technicalities and a big, full, warmish sound. The quantity and quality of bass is superb.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #97,452 of 99,913
I couldn't find any thread here regarding aliexpress issues so I'm posting here.
Anyone having issues buying from Aliexpress anniversary sale like in the image? can't even buy anything in original price. chat with 5 agents and they all show me the same instructions which I tried dozens of time. I also tried another card, account, app, different browsers, removed coupons but nothing is working there. thanks
does your country block AE sales? VPN?

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #97,455 of 99,913

Users who are viewing this thread

Back