The discovery thread!
Mar 13, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #97,081 of 100,483
They came-out with a thick walled Black version (that are warmer) or the slightly more resolving Orange version. I think I may like the Black slightly better as the air-tight fit is out of this world. I did a full reviews on them a while back. But the Blacks have this push-back against the inner walls of your ear canal that is truly unique, causing me to do a two stage IEM removal at times?

Mar 13, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #97,082 of 100,483
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #97,083 of 100,483
@gadgetgod might have mentioned the Hong-Kong based D's Audio boutique already, as he is the owner of a pair of Phoenix Rise, IEMs sporting a DLC Dynamic Driver and a brass tunnel behind the brass shells. If not, then I am happy to do so. D's Audio seems to be a well-established boutique in Hong-Kong manufacturing IEMs and cables of all kinds. Their IEMs are produced for professional musicians, but also for audio enthusiasts. D's Audio also offers customization options on the faceplates.

DoDo, the guy behind the brand is a great individual to deal with and he takes time to find the right IEMs for your needs, based on your preferred tuning.

My Phoenix Rise will leave HK on Friday. More about sound and comfort in due time.

19630e18-d4f0-4851-ae3c-3e13cb780dbd.jpg
Looks incredible mate, congratulations 😍😍👍👍

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #97,084 of 100,483
HIBY M300 dap delivers Apple Music fabulously well! Guess reviewers are a touch wary (understandably so) about talking about DAP's sound, and perhaps used to higher-end DAP stuff that this one sounds normal, but I can say as a newbie without those (sane) hesitations and without experience of higher-end devices, this Hiby M300 sounds damn good. Better than most dongles i have used with phone before. Low-end is ultra taut and it allows iems like Aful P8 to present its detail-extraction abilities really well. Also allows mid-focussed stuff like Fan2 and Sivga Nightingale to do showcase their strengths really well. I am totally happy with the sound and presentation thus far. Seems purrfect for P8, accentuating its sub-bass to really-good territory. perhaps, mids a touch forward than what I thought was earlier the case with the p8s. More I hear, i shall get to know. Soundstage technicalities are pretty pretty good.

And @o0genesis0o i would be surprised if it doesn't run Aful one. Sivga planar takes a lot of power and this runs it without much fuss. You have to increase what's called ' master volume' in the settings to max. There are 2 volume settings in here.

As for Apple Music, I don't know whether its cos of this upsampling that it does with "high-quality algorithm" or it's just the soundquality presentation of the device itself, definitely better than off phone/laptop with dongles.

And all the visuals on YouTube etc make it look big. It's a tiny device, just a bit longer than my middle finger!

I have only used Apple music - so can't comment about how it runs the downloaded files. Had a glimpse at the loaded Hiby Music and its MSEB stuff, looked pretty detailed but alas can't use it for apple music as its only for the files that's handled by hiby; not system-wide. Time to just retain my Hiby FC6 and give away couple of other dongles I have.

But my main thing would be battery. Will update on that tomorrow. I think it will come to 8 hours of streaming (based on the 4 hours it gave me from 45% percent initial battery) but that includes downloading, browser checking stuff etc. Will confirm that tomorrow. With flacs, reviewers have said it gives 22-25 hoursish. With streaming, if I can get 10 hours I would be thrilled. one charge per day type. But not sure about that as yet. It would be a relief, though, as compared to the phone drain I am used to and the search for charger plug point in cafes.

So fingers crossed on battery; rest look and sound good. You can download whatsapp (and other android stuff) on this if you wish. I don't. I did read couple of articles on its browser just to check. Good. Perhaps, I shall get this head-fi reading on to this device - then it will be the complete music device for me. As I tend to click music suggested in the forum (when provided with links like songwhip).

Thanks for the impressions!

This looks very interesting, but only reason I skipped it is there is no balanced output?

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:49 PM Post #97,085 of 100,483
only reason I skipped it is there is no balanced output?
That's kind of my take on it. Plus do you need a dap with dongles and a usbc android phone? I don't get the appeal. I like my tranducers.

Mar 13, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #97,086 of 100,483

Just be aware that not everything that is written about the Penon Liqueur tips is accurate.

I saw one apparently detailed comparison that said the black is a wide bore and the orange is narrow, that isn't correct, they are both the same bore diameter if you actually measure them, they are both 5mm internally as best I can measure.

As Redcarmoose said the difference with the black versus orange seems to be the material. The black seems to be a touch firmer, I am not sure they are thicker material as Redcarmoose said, to my eye they look identical and trying to measure that is probably not very accurate. However, they do feel just a touch firmer when inserting them, I put that down to the specifics of the material rather than the wall thickness.

All that said, any difference is very subtle and to my ear they sound the same, I don't see why they wouldn't because dimensionally they are the same and if you get a good seal they would seem essentially the same to me. Even the Penon website is pretty vague about what differences exist, I think they are different colours to be different colours so we buy twice as many to compare them. :relaxed:

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #97,087 of 100,483
thanks! I'm new to all of this.
Just be aware that not everything that is written about the Penon Liqueur tips is accurate.

I saw one apparently detailed comparison that said the black is a wide bore and the orange is narrow, that isn't correct, they are both the same bore diameter if you actually measure them, they are both 5mm internally as best I can measure.

As Redcarmoose said the difference with the black versus orange seems to be the material. The black seems to be a touch firmer, I am not sure they are thicker material as Redcarmoose said, to my eye they look identical and trying to measure that is probably not very accurate. However, they do feel just a touch firmer when inserting them, I put that down to the specifics of the material rather than the wall thickness.

All that said, any difference is very subtle and to my ear they sound the same, I don't see why they wouldn't because dimensionally they are the same and if you get a good seal they would seem essentially the same to me. Even the Penon website is pretty vague about what differences exist, I think they are different colours to be different colours so we buy twice as many to compare them. :relaxed:
Thanks so much! I'm new to this

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #97,088 of 100,483

DSC01675.JPG

Close up of orange and black Liqueur tips, Orange is a bit taller about .5mm and measures about 3mm in opening diameter the Blacks measure 4mm. This definitely gives a slight different take to your music. I was told by the person that designed these that they give different sound properties and I have to agree.

Orange is a balanced presentation with a slight smoothening to the trebles, which focuses the sound to the mids and bass its basically Penons take on the Final E or Sony hybrids., The blacks are Penons take on something like the JVC spiral dots which brings a bit more emphasis for trebles vs the Orange and to my ears accentuates the bass end a touch in the process. Both are excellent tips. As many of you guys that have them now have found out. More tips gotta use that grippy material imo. The only negative is that they are lint magnets. Otherwise, brilliant tips.

Don't know if any of you guys have the old Sony MH1C but the tips that came with those IEMs are the holy grail of tips which uses a very similar grippy material. First of its type way before anyone else actually circa 2012. These are still sold on ebay and are worth actually buying just for a set of their tips.
1710390425486.png

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #97,089 of 100,483
but only reason I skipped it is there is no balanced output?
Someone has been reading too many reviews from @Redcarmoose :dt880smile:

This M300 feels like an iPod touch for 2024. At least Android is not as hostile to audiophiles like iOS (AAC codec, gimped USB port, no system-wide EQ app). I have not seen M300 in real life but it seems very compact in photos. I can attach it to a gamepad and play some emulator with good audio. That's an attractive use case (before Nintendo sues you).

Mar 14, 2024 at 12:54 AM Post #97,090 of 100,483
Thanks for the impressions!

This looks very interesting, but only reason I skipped it is there is no balanced output?
Yeah no 4.4 . I have a small adapter to 3.5 (use the 4.4 mm sivga before like that only, so no change for me).

And this device I don't run off dongles. As i wrote , the sound quality is better than most dongles I use. So that's relief to not use phones with dongles in my pocket. Awkwardness averted and also none of my usb c to usb wires (to attach phone to dongle) last cos of the way it gets bent and abuse.

This device is for people like me who usually use phone with dongles. Not for junta used to higher stuff. Now I don't need dongles (can use if I wish), and battery drain on phone which was the big thing for me. I tend to work from a neighborhood cafe (wfh xtension) for a few hours daily and would be hunting for power points.

And with the general convenience of separating music device from phone.
So, a win-win for people like me.

With Sony nwA306 and this m300, good to know there are atleast 2 good options (almost similarly priced; sony is 50-60 dollars more) in this market. I would have got the Sony for nostalgia, but Luke (a youtuber, @PerputuallyCensored ) said m300 has more power and would be ideal to run planars and such. So went with this.

Now to find out how to get Joe bloggs filters on this that's getting the raves.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #97,091 of 100,483
Mar 14, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #97,093 of 100,483
DSC01675.JPG
Close up of orange and black Liqueur tips, Orange is a bit taller about .5mm and measures about 3mm in opening diameter the Blacks measure 4mm. This definitely gives a slight different take to your music. I was told by the person that designed these that they give different sound properties and I have to agree.

Orange is a balanced presentation with a slight smoothening to the trebles, which focuses the sound to the mids and bass its basically Penons take on the Final E or Sony hybrids., The blacks are Penons take on something like the JVC spiral dots which brings a bit more emphasis for trebles vs the Orange and to my ears accentuates the bass end a touch in the process. Both are excellent tips. As many of you guys that have them now have found out. More tips gotta use that grippy material imo. The only negative is that they are lint magnets. Otherwise, brilliant tips.

Don't know if any of you guys have the old Sony MH1C but the tips that came with those IEMs are the holy grail of tips which uses a very similar grippy material. First of its type way before anyone else actually circa 2012. These are still sold on ebay and are worth actually buying just for a set of their tips.
1710390425486.png
Again, appreciate you guys. I'm learning.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:12 AM Post #97,094 of 100,483

I've just posted a Penon Quattro review with comparisons to Trifecta, XE6, Volur & others. You're invited to read it here. :relaxed:

SPOILER: If you love smooth warm sound with superb timbre, the Quattros are the best option I've heard under $1000. They're quite special.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #97,095 of 100,483
DSC01675.JPG

1710390425486.png
Are these only available on penon site ? Feels strange to order something as cheap from overseas. But then I have ordered 'world's best nailcutter' from overseas without any awkwardness! And boy was it a scam or what! But it made my kid realise adults (like me) are idiots and there is no use trusting em blindly. So that's a win! I think...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back