The discovery thread!
Mar 13, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #96,991 of 100,546
Such a hard market to navigate, not even to mention its most so dang subjective.
I think the key is to demo stuff at a show after a price. What that price is, I'm not sure like 300-400 for me. Midfi is a trap! I think the key to long-term success is finding a few sets that you fully love and share your opinions on whatever you do buy.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #96,992 of 100,546
Yup, and on the flip side you have brands who only sell kilo bucks that are certainly not tuned like they should be, or consistent build quality.

OBravo RA C-CU. $11000 USD.

Ra-C-Cu.jpg

Amazing channel balancing. Amazing peaks and troughs. Amazing bass roll-off from 100 Hz.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:54 AM Post #96,993 of 100,546

Ra-C-Cu.jpg

Amazing channel balancing. Amazing peaks and troughs. Amazing bass roll-off from 100 Hz.
This graph needs to go to some sort of jail.

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #96,994 of 100,546

Ra-C-Cu.jpg

The limited Noble Nodachi isn't as creepy as this set definitely but this is a very good example. Crazy, krilla wins in this case

Mar 13, 2024 at 1:59 AM Post #96,995 of 100,546
Mar 13, 2024 at 2:06 AM Post #96,996 of 100,546

I mean I'm been around certain iem maker talk about their iems saying how some iems are marketed towards the very rich only because they just buy stuff. I'm not saying that's correct but I think a huge part of the totl is the experience and the packaging and build quality. Finding one's end game is huge.

Mar 13, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #96,997 of 100,546
Does anyone know anything about the GAudio Titan iems? GAudio is a brand from Switzerland. Found them on Jaben HK: https://www.jaben.com.hk/products/gaudio-tian-earphones

1710311439820.png

Designed with a Two-Channel Audio System Concept
The Tian earphones feature a tri-hybrid design that mirrors the three-way crossover found in two channel speakers. The high and ultra-high frequencies are handled by magnetostatic drivers, renowned for their broad frequency response and swift reaction, enabling a soundstage that rivals two-channel speakers. Mid frequencies are rendered with clarity and detail by balanced armature drivers from Sonion, a manufacturer of medical-grade components, noted for their low distortion and high accuracy. Deep bass is delivered by a substantial 10mm dynamic driver.
A tailored passive crossover inside the earphones ensures that specific frequencies are channeled through designated crossover points to the appropriate driver, allowing for precise reproduction of sound frequencies across the spectrum. This design achieves a soundstage and separation akin to two-channel loudspeakers.
1710311515266.png

Shell Design Resembling a Speaker Cabinet
Utilizing 3D printing technology, Gaudio has crafted specialized sound chambers for tuning purposes. These chambers not only reduce harmonic resonance during driver operation but also adjust the timing of different sounds reaching the inner ear. This meticulous design enhances the soundstage and overall separation to levels comparative with two-channel speakers.

Product Information​

Driver​

dynamic、balanced armature 、magnetostatic drivers

Frequency response​

20Hz-20kHz

Impedance​

10 Ohms @ 1kHz

Sensitivity​

107 dB SPL @ 1mW

Cable​

UP-OCC Copper Cable

Price: 6980 HKD, around 900 USD...rather pricy for a 1 DD+1 BA+1 Magnestostatic Driver configuration.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #96,998 of 100,546
Does anyone know anything about the GAudio Titan iems? GAudio is a brand from Switzerland. Found them on Jaben HK: https://www.jaben.com.hk/products/gaudio-tian-earphones

1710311439820.png

The Tian earphones feature a tri-hybrid design that mirrors the three-way crossover found in two channel speakers. The high and ultra-high frequencies are handled by magnetostatic drivers, renowned for their broad frequency response and swift reaction, enabling a soundstage that rivals two-channel speakers. Mid frequencies are rendered with clarity and detail by balanced armature drivers from Sonion, a manufacturer of medical-grade components, noted for their low distortion and high accuracy. Deep bass is delivered by a substantial 10mm dynamic driver.
A tailored passive crossover inside the earphones ensures that specific frequencies are channeled through designated crossover points to the appropriate driver, allowing for precise reproduction of sound frequencies across the spectrum. This design achieves a soundstage and separation akin to two-channel loudspeakers.
1710311515266.png

Utilizing 3D printing technology, Gaudio has crafted specialized sound chambers for tuning purposes. These chambers not only reduce harmonic resonance during driver operation but also adjust the timing of different sounds reaching the inner ear. This meticulous design enhances the soundstage and overall separation to levels comparative with two-channel speakers.

Product Information​

Driver​

Frequency response​

20Hz-20kHz

Impedance​

10 Ohms @ 1kHz

Sensitivity​

107 dB SPL @ 1mW

Cable​

UP-OCC Copper Cable

Price: 6980 HKD, around 900 USD...rather pricy for a 1 DD+1 BA+1 Magnestostatic Driver configuration.

a bit hard to simulate speaker soundstage without crossfeed..I'm curious how this IEM would sound

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #96,999 of 100,546
All this kilobuck this and kilobuck that.

I'm happily groovin' on the CCA Trio ($30.00) + DX170 ($500) = $530 for something that my ears perceive as KILORAD!!!

Mar 13, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #97,000 of 100,546
This thread is insanely informative lately, holy crap. I don't have anything to contribute.

Ummm....if you get tips stuck in your ear, don't panic! The more you panic, the more it gets stuck.like quicksand.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #97,001 of 100,546
Hello Peeps, I dropped my review for the Hidizs MP145 last night. For me it finds a place in my top-three Planar IEMs that I have tried to date(believe me I have listened to many). Key attractions for me would be its massive stage, fast transients, and that lovely tone, like literally no sign of any metallicness in the tonality at all. Pairs well with my CMA18P and iBasso DX260.

You guys can read my complete take here:-
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-mp145.26656/reviews#review-33250

Some eye candy for my friends:-
1.jpg

11.jpg

7.jpg

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #97,002 of 100,546
Howdy folks, my pairing this evening:

BCD9FD93-2818-48B1-9032-EA39E91C95F0.jpeg

One question for dongle connoisseurs here: is this dongle ordinary among the dual CL dongles in 2023 or is it an anomaly? I have been away from the dongle game for too long, and my last dongle (dual ESS from Penon) certainly didn’t have the stage and details like this one.

If all good 2023 dongles are like this, the future of budget DAP is gloomy indeed.

Mar 13, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #97,003 of 100,546
This thread is insanely informative lately, holy crap. I don't have anything to contribute.

Ummm....if you get tips stuck in your ear, don't panic! The more you panic, the more it gets stuck.like quicksand.
Happened to me. I ripped the cotton off a q-tip and inserted the stick carefully inside the eartip, then slowly pried it out. On multiple occasions.

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #97,004 of 100,546

Product Information​

Driver​

Frequency response​

20Hz-20kHz

Impedance​

10 Ohms @ 1kHz

Sensitivity​

107 dB SPL @ 1mW

Cable​

UP-OCC Copper Cable

I bought this in February, so I can answer it. Tbh, I’m not happy with this set, but it has nothing to do with its quality, just that it doesn’t suit my personal preference.

I at first was to find something new to daily drive since I was planning to send my Rn6 for refitting, so I tried the demo at Let’s Go Audio (one of the authorised sellers of the authorised dealer, ECT, of Gaudio). The first impression of this iem was really really good, with crazy good bass, fantastic sub & mid bass, and really good vocal and warmth, everything is thick and huge which is exactly everything I like as a metalhead, so I immediately pulled the trigger after around a hour of listening.

But then when I listened to my own set, it just sounds different and the difference is quite significant, quantitatively weaker bass overall although it’s still tight, scooped mid which hugely affects instruments, male vocals, and the warmth of female vocals. I’m not saying it’s bad at all but it is not what I was looking for.

So I took the set to a/b listen at Letsgo with their demo, it sounded different, so they told me to have it checked by ECT. Then when I took it to ECT, they said mine is perfectly normal. So I a/b listened with their demo and their demo sounds exactly like mine. I told them that, and ECT said it could be due to insufficient hours of burning in, so no replacement. I personally don’t believe in burn in, and since Hong Kong is one of those places offered no return policy unless it’s found to be functionally defective, to this day, I still don’t know which one is its true sound and I’m tuck with it.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s still a good iem, it’s just that the tuning isn’t my thing. I do think it suits really well with ambient tracks (I really like Alcest on this set), and female vocals. And oddly enough, there is one metal album that sounds really good on them is Opeth’s Ghost Reveries.

a bit hard to simulate speaker soundstage without crossfeed..I'm curious how this IEM would sound
I think that’s just advertisement, I have completely no idea of how speaker soundstage is, but it does have quite a huge soundstage. I heard that you can create “faked” soundstage by increasing the contrast between midbass and upper mid/high, I think this is how Gaudio implemented it, and why I don’t like it, but there is no measurement of it, don’t take my word too seriously.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 5:22 AM Post #97,005 of 100,546
I bought this in February, so I can answer it. Tbh, I’m not happy with this set, but it has nothing to do with its quality, just that it doesn’t suit my personal preference.

I at first was to find something new to daily drive since I was planning to send my Rn6 for refitting, so I tried the demo at Let’s Go Audio (one of the authorised sellers of the authorised dealer, ECT, of Gaudio). The first impression of this iem was really really good, with crazy good bass, fantastic sub & mid bass, and really good vocal and warmth, everything is thick and huge which is exactly everything I like as a metalhead, so I immediately pulled the trigger after around a hour of listening.

But then when I listened to my own set, it just sounds different and the difference is quite significant, quantitatively weaker bass overall although it’s still tight, scooped mid which hugely affects instruments, male vocals, and the warmth of female vocals. I’m not saying it’s bad at all but it is not what I was looking for.

So I took the set to a/b listen at Letsgo with their demo, it sounded different, so they told me to have it checked by ECT. Then when I took it to ECT, they said mine is perfectly normal. So I a/b listened with their demo and their demo sounds exactly like mine. I told them that, and ECT said it could be due to insufficient hours of burning in, so no replacement. I personally don’t believe in burn in, and since Hong Kong is one of those places offered no return policy unless it’s found to be functionally defective, to this day, I still don’t know which one is its true sound and I’m tuck with it.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s still a good iem, it’s just that the tuning isn’t my thing. I do think it suits really well with ambient tracks (I really like Alcest on this set), and female vocals. And oddly enough, there is one metal album that sounds really good on them is Opeth’s Ghost Reveries.

I think that’s just advertisement, I have completely no idea of how speaker soundstage is, but it does have quite a huge soundstage. I heard that you can create “faked” soundstage by increasing the contrast between midbass and upper mid/high, I think this is how Gaudio implemented it, and why I don’t like it, but there is no measurement of it, don’t take my word too seriously.
That “speaker” talk suggests a big subbass shelf with a cut in lower mid to split the midrange from the bass like a subwoofer setup. You are totally right, increasing the contrast between lower and upper frequencies can make the “fake” soundstage happen. They might have also scooped the 1.5kHz like 64 audio fourte and trio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back