The discovery thread!
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #96,601 of 100,604
_DSC1895-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

My review of the Moondrop May is up on my blog and in my Head-Fi thread.

I'm also happy to share that I'll be at CanJam NYC on Saturday. I'll be taking lots of notes and pictures. If you want to meet up, please shoot me a DM.

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:54 PM Post #96,602 of 100,604
_DSC1895-ARW_DxO_DeepPRIMEXD.jpg

My review of the Moondrop May is up on my blog and in my Head-Fi thread.

I'm also happy to share that I'll be at CanJam NYC on Saturday. I'll be taking lots of notes and pictures. If you want to meet up, please shoot me a DM.
Clear, to the point, easy to understand. Great job, mate!

What kind of DSP does the cable apply to the IEM?

Mar 6, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #96,603 of 100,604
Beauties arrived.

Ibasso 3t-154 is here and I'll share my quick impressions.

First thing first, the biggest size ever! Ever i had in my collection. Very strange shaped body. I'll share it along with mp145(considered to have a huge body) to give you an idea.

These are not for everyone from the size perspective and I mean it!

Due to having slightly short nozzle, you'll end up with fit issues considering that your ear is already big enough to fit that huge shells.

Here's the Berilium plated big 15.4mm DD looking at you.

Paying attention to the shell, I was sure that I won't have issues like driver flex seeing that three holes jn front of the driver. There are also two other behind if you look closely.

Seeing big sized DDs is sth rare recently and ibasso does sth unique. I won't share the box and accessories as I'm on a business trip and I had to select a few IEMs to use them on the go.

I love single DDs and I love their capabilities. I used to think that they can do the magic if a very rigid material and good magnets being used.

However, time to adjust my observations again. Because out of the box they're just okay soundwise. Considering the price range they target, there's a tough competition. Seeing the size of them, considering the tuning and technicalities, ibasso might struggle.

When I was unboxing, I was impressed by the presentation, included tips(at least 4 different sets of tips), and cable. I ended up using my favorite wide bore bqeyz blue tips anyways but good to have additional.

The cable is good. But! Just like the size of the shells, what a big plugs they have! Feels like ibasso wanted to go big! They're very rigid also when I plugged them into my m11 plus ess. I have the case ony dap and the perimeter of the plugs is so big that they're pushing on the edges the leather case of dap. Force is required to plug and unplug so I wanted to go safe before I loosen the female ports.

Finally the sound. 3t-154 lacks presence, air, and depth. The rest is good including the bass which doesn't dominate much considering the huge size, the strength/size of the DDs.

Lack of presence and air is a big downside for me as I die for soundstage, pinpoint imaging. Due to the lack of presence, it's not clear where the instruments are. How far behind for example. There's a little bit of similarity to the Timeless OGs shallow depth. They're close to you and intimate.

When a youtuber reviewing (if I'm not mistaken Akros), he said that he likes that intimate presentation as he doesn't want his attention to divert during long sessions. I'm opposite of this. When the stage is intimate, the listening experience is not fun for me. Having a bigger stage means there'll be more space to put different instruments, effects without being too crowded, congested. It makes you not understand/appreciate what has been done with that particular sound you hear. Knowing that the bass is usually dominating the area in the middle right behind the solist, intimate soundstage is a PITA with crowded tracks.

Lacking extention/air leads to that intimate presentation most of the time. 3t-154 has a very strong roll off after 9khz. That affects the tallness and depth mostly. When you don't hear the extension of a sound, the brain has difficulty with calculating how far is that. When this situation occurs, you hear it like there's a wall behind you and instruments are located all in the same distance.

There's that problem with 3t-154. Bass is good, mids are good but treble and air makes it harder to justify the purchase. Adding the size of the shells, short nozzle with fit issues, I'd say be careful before buying it.

I honestly had great experiences with big DDs but almost all of them had an issue with somewhere usually a peak or roll off happening in the tuning.

Audio-Technica ckm1000 had a terrible sibilance causing by the peak around 6/7khz region making everything metallic, unbearable so I had to use EQ.

Sony Ex1000 had that 6khz peak again and also a roll off in the high end region so I had to to use EQ as well.

And now I use EQ again for 3t-154. But I had to give a really strong boost especially after 13khz regions that adds extension/resolution and air. It's not wow comparing it to the two mentioned above but I'll give time to my brain to adjust.

Thanks for reading.
I know this is a old post but Im having a hard time interalising that the 3T-154 is intimate, sure it has abit of a diffuse image but it has a big stage and well placed imaging. Esp the GOAT song by polyphia that you posted. If you dont mind can you share those busy songs that make the 3T-154 sound messy?

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #96,605 of 100,604
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #96,606 of 100,604
Has anyone stumbled across this extremely fake store when looking for IEMs on google?

https://www.monicascreativejuices.com/product/symphonium-audio-x-nightjar-meteor/

Looks like this was originally a blog which seems to have been hijacked at some point, did some digging on the Wayback Machine.

I thought this was one of the many random malware links you get on google search, which seem to be more common if you're searching for obscure media.

Doubt anyone has fallen for this BS. I'd flush all my IEMs down a toilet if someone got a u12t for 100 bucks. :toilet::toilet::toilet:
is this website a fraud?

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #96,607 of 100,604
Mar 6, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #96,608 of 100,604
I am really liking the tuning of the new Letshuoer Cadenza 4 the Bass slam and texture is fantastic right up my alley.
Rumors are $250ish and if so they are going to sell a boatload!

I agree with you! It really seems to me to be a very accurate tuning.

https://cqtek.squig.link/?share=LetShuoer_Cadenza_4

LetShuoer Cadenza 4.jpg

The tuning is really up to my alley, like if I asked them to make an IEM with my target tuning

DynamicEars Target FR 2023.jpg

What is the configuration? 1DD+3 BAs?

Lot of IEMs recently have better tuning than 1 or 2 years back that only follow harmanish tuning, glad to see finally budget and midfi manufacturers use more refine like TOTL tuning, but again only few don't fail on :
1. non bleeding bass shelf tuning
2. non shouty upper mids
3. non drop / rolled off brilliance / air / treble extension past 10khz

2 years back, from hundreds of IEMs, I hardly see IEMs with checked 2 points of my picky tuning but recently at least I see some of them have no 1 and 2 points got right. Only the point no 3 that rarely achieved.

Mk 3 and P8 both close
1000017534.jpg

like this for example I wish monarch Mk3 have better treble extension, moreover ESTs are smoother than BAs, the Aful P8 and P5 also didn't make it on upper treble extension.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #96,609 of 100,604
Had some great hours listening to jazz and soul today with Kinera Verdandi, very holographic and slightly intimate soundstage. Gives Verdandi an romantic presentation on some music, female Vocals on soul is beautiful and engaging.

The tactile feel of the BC is addictive, not overdone. But changing over to a set without it makes me miss it in the bass.

Require quite deep fit for me to get the best sound out of Verdandi, without some of the BC effect is less noticable and sound overall is brighter.

Clan Audio Cable? If so, you gotta tell that friend to hurry up and get that shop open :D

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #96,610 of 100,604
I know this is a old post but Im having a hard time interalising that the 3T-154 is intimate, sure it has abit of a diffuse image but it has a big stage and well placed imaging. Esp the GOAT song by polyphia that you posted. If you dont mind can you share those busy songs that make the 3T-154 sound messy?
The 3T-154 has too short a nozzle and too big a shell shape for the majority of ears.
Sound wise it was forgettable quite quickly.

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #96,611 of 100,604
The 3T-154 has too short a nozzle and too big a shell shape for the majority of ears.
Sound wise it was forgettable quite quickly.
Yeah the fact that it's forgettable is the amazing part. It just disappears and all I'm left with is the music and not the colouration.

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #96,612 of 100,604
Yeah the fact that it's forgettable is the amazing part. It just disappears and all I'm left with is the music and not the colouration.
Glad your really enjoying them nice to hear.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #96,614 of 100,604
Today morning, CMA18P and Twilight joined me for my Gym Session. My trainer also liked the sound quality of Twilight haha, I guess i will make him spend money on iems next month instead of protien powder :L3000::L3000::L3000:
1709796618802.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:47 AM Post #96,615 of 100,604
My 2 cents on the KZ SYMPHONY.

They ring in my ears quite detailed, with
powerful and impactful bass (lots of bumping),

but…

The upper mids sound muddy, ringy (with hints of sibilance).

The performance on voices is discreet.

Overall they sound rather bright, with a markedly planar, rather unnatural timbre.

In my opinion they are only good for certain music, like this:

With rock and metal they didn't impress me, nor with
classic music.

The shells are quite large, so not the best in comfort.

Regarding driveability, I'm not saying they are easy to drive, they certainly require power (in this respect they are similar to the KZ PR2), but compared to the TIN-HIFI P2 they are 'easy'.

IMG_8417.jpeg

IMG_8418.jpeg

IMG_8419.jpeg

That is quite different from how I'm hearing them. Via an Xduoo X20 DAP using the stock cable and medium Starline tips, they are warm, smooth and musical. The bass is rather dominant, the mids are recessed and a little distant and the lower treble could do with a bit of air and bite. Staging is very good, as is the reproduction of recorded ambience. Classical music sounds very well, try this:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back