The discovery thread!
Feb 19, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #95,686 of 104,267
graph (8).png

Anyone have TRN Conch? Seems like not very popular or under shadows of EW200 How is it compared to EW200 in reality? Seems like have better extension? Planning mod it to reduce the pinna gain
I had Trn Conch. In my opinion, they can be skipped. After adding medium density foam to the red nozzle, they still had a sharp top.
For me it is the same problem as ea500 supposedly you can seal them, but bad tuning still comes out.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:26 AM Post #95,687 of 104,267
Hahaha, no, you haven't missed it, but it's not a discovery...so I won't post it here :wink:
But you missed it on another thread that you are visiting :)))

I can mention another pair: in the meantime, Simgot EA2000 have arrived, and I can say that they are absolutely fabulous.
Others wrote about them, and I can't add anything extra, except they are exceptionally good investment.

Cheers!
Ah! I think I saw it. 5 short of a sex position, that one, na? ...

And Interesting this 2000, guess it came out way before 500 and 1000.

Feb 19, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #95,688 of 104,267
Any impressions or comparisons with IT-05?
Already reviewed, I like them but fitment because they are huge will play a massive part on how or if you can hear these properly.

They were good, unique but not rush out and must buy right now iem.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #95,689 of 104,267
I had Trn Conch. In my opinion, they can be skipped. After adding medium density foam to the red nozzle, they still had a sharp top.
For me it is the same problem as ea500 supposedly you can seal them, but bad tuning still comes out.

Thanks, I see you also mod some your IEMs. But well, its too late they are on the way 😅 I will try with high density sony foam later and push the pinna gain with mesh500 with tiny hole for bass airflow.

Feb 19, 2024 at 11:50 AM Post #95,690 of 104,267
Yes, I agree 100% and could not have said it better. Where the Zero 2 offers the full package where you get bass and vocals, and slightly better sound, but the EW200 beats them both in the technicalities, but cost more than the other two. Build is amazing with the EW200. But the EW200 is dangerous cuz that’s the gateway drug into the house sound of SIMGOT!
Just having a first taster of Simgot house sound in the form of EA500 LM. If these are anything to go by, Simgot house sound certainly suits me.
1000012135.jpg

Yep definitely ear anatomy plays a role in the final perceived sound, but if you use the reason that measurements for eartips are "moot" due to different ear anatomy, then measurements on couplers for IEMs are also gonna be moot cause of individual ear anatomy affecting pinna gain?

See this post by precog on how ear anatomy affects measurements/perceived sound in an IEM: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/page-94#post-16524009

Then you also need to factor in other subjective variables like individual hearing health, volume played at (Fletcher Munson curve), other areas in the chain eg sources, sound card etc affecting the final sound?

Since there is no way to totally account for individual ear anatomy in measurements, this is the next best thing to be somewhat objective, which is better than nothing IMO. Anyway, short of outliers, the final measurements of IEM graphs and eartips will probably not be too drastically different from what is measured and heard. Most would agree that for example narrow bore tips like the Final E black tips would tame the upper frequency - as always there are gonna be outliers so YMMV.
I agree with everything. I just meant to say tips are the most inconsistent to try and graph with any validity. But, if these graphs help anyone, power to them and the graph provider.

It's a shame that the Butastur is only available via penon. I'm really curious about it.
They are also available via ... uh, well, ... me. In the classifieds as we speak. Not sure how horrendous shipping to Australia is, though.
I think they fare very well with jazz, mild electronica, mild rock and alike, but I usually struggle to reach for them over all the AüRs. Even still, I won't be upset if they stay with me.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #95,691 of 104,267
Yep definitely ear anatomy plays a role in the final perceived sound, but if you use the reason that measurements for eartips are "moot" due to different ear anatomy, then measurements on couplers for IEMs are also gonna be moot cause of individual ear anatomy affecting pinna gain?

See this post by precog on how ear anatomy affects measurements/perceived sound in an IEM: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/page-94#post-16524009

Then you also need to factor in other subjective variables like individual hearing health, volume played at (Fletcher Munson curve), other areas in the chain eg sources, sound card etc affecting the final sound?

Since there is no way to totally account for individual ear anatomy in measurements, this is the next best thing to be somewhat objective, which is better than nothing IMO. Anyway, short of outliers, the final measurements of IEM graphs and eartips will probably not be too drastically different from what is measured and heard. Most would agree that for example narrow bore tips like the Final E black tips would tame the upper frequency - as always there are gonna be outliers so YMMV.

Nuo is quite good, underrated IEM that flew under the radar.

U-shaped set that does most areas well. Can be a tinge hot in the treble regions (sibilance) with a bit of metallic timbre, but otherwise is a solid budget single DD.
The anatomy indeed plays a crucial part affecting how the bore diameter is changing from a IEM nozzle.
The acoustics of woodwind instruments, that is quite well understood, can provide good understanding.
My main take from the woodwind acoustics is to avoid any abrupt changes that strongly disrupts the sound and causes strong changes. For instance, using narrow-bore tips on wide nozzles. In general, I found that using wide-bore tips is the best for predictability and least filtering, so IEMs can shine (or show their limitations) most vivid.

Anyhow, further exploring Liquer tips, I really like them on planars (KZ PR1 pro and Muse Power) - they add a bit more bass and gently manage planar "sheen".

With all-BAs, especially such specialty IEMs, as AS16, the story is more complex:
20240217_054823.jpg

Left to right are generic wide-bore tips, Spiral dots, Clarion, Moondrop Spring, black and orange Liquier tips.

AS16 are a very much specialty IEMs - many string quarters sound magical helped by the high pinna gain and old less-dampened BAs - great oldies, but not for modern electronic music. Orange Liquer tips are most predictable with AS16 (and I really like them compared to my near-failure experience with Spinfits) in accentuating the bass. Clarion tips improve clarity to the extreme, while the Spiral dots and generic wide-bore tips are most neutral relative to other tips. (Spring are more for narrow-nozzle IEMs, worked great for my Brainwaivz B400).
I will definitely continue to explore more of the tip synergy in upcoming weeks :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #95,693 of 104,267
Thanks, I see you also mod some your IEMs. But well, its too late they are on the way 😅 I will try with high density sony foam later and push the pinna gain with mesh500 with tiny hole for bass airflow.

Conch are bright with every included nozzle, but they weren't that much brighter than the EW200 which everyone seems to love. A small amount of foam in the red or black nozzle and they do sound really great. EW200 are a bit shouty when it comes to vocals while the Conch are a bit spicy on the high end. Depends on which one fatigues you more.

And even if you don't like them you get a really nice cable and other accessories with them.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #95,695 of 104,267
Edit: I'm dumb disregard

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #95,696 of 104,267
Just having a first taster of Simgot house sound in the form of EA500 LM. If these are anything to go by, Simgot house sound certainly suits me.
Is it better suited than EPZ Q5?

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #95,697 of 104,267
Why yes Jenifer, the Penon OS133 Dongle comes in either Lighting or USB Type-C..........and sure there is a size difference, but with that size difference comes a world of sound differences.
DSC_0124.jpegqwq.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #95,698 of 104,267
I don't want to spill the beans just yet, but this will come out in the review shortly, that this OS133 Dongle is higher resolution than many full fledged DAPs? And I have been judging gear like the APPLE Dongle for years as.........not so great, so I somehow find it hard to believe we are now here in 2024?
DSC_0131.jpegdone.jpeg

DSC_0119.jpegasasas.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #95,699 of 104,267
I don't want to spill the beans just yet, but this will come out in the review shortly, that this Dongle is higher resolution than many full fledged DAPs? And I have been judging gear like the APPLE Dongle for years as.........not so great, so I somehow find it hard to believe we are now here in 2024?
DSC_0131.jpegdone.jpeg
DSC_0119.jpegasasas.jpeg
Gosh this is hard to believe at 35 bucks with a CX31993. I mean I know it’s a decent budget dac but how far can good implementation take us?!

Feb 19, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #95,700 of 104,267
IMG_6589.jpeg
I just said I didn’t need more sets but this one speaks to me on some sort of primal level I don’t quite understand… had some birthday funds that needed allocating so eff it, Kinera Dark Phoenix on the way.
IMG_6593.jpeg
Any updates on the Kinera Dark Phoenix? How do they compare to the og?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back