The discovery thread!
Feb 10, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #95,251 of 103,943
Someone forgot to pay the server bills. Vacayy mode on 🤟

https://www.linsoul.com/collections/all

IMG_9314.png

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #95,253 of 103,943
yep, 100% more into a DD. There are enough good planars out right now.
Can anyone clarify if the current best planars like Mp145, f1 pro, etc have reached a good DD like bass? I assume they all have super fast decay, i.e., the planar bass

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #95,254 of 103,943
Can anyone clarify if the current best planars like Mp145, f1 pro, etc have reached a good DD like bass? I assume they all have super fast decay, i.e., the planar bass
Planars can do sub really well, and are very accurate in the bass but cannot stack up to the decay/slam a DD brings to the table. Pretty much why I ended up on the Sza, best of both worlds.

I really enjoy the bass on the MP145 though. I wouldn’t use it for electronic music but the bass hums along when called for it.

Feb 10, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #95,255 of 103,943
038E37FA-CC43-40DD-9468-FF6C11081788.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #95,256 of 103,943
Why I'm selling? I am looking to untangle some funds to be better prepared for any new expensive releases that might catch my eye.

TSMR X landed for the weekend, loan from my good friend :beerchug:
It's a looker 😊
I need more friends like that. Not sold on its looks though. Sure, it's an interesting colour, but it looks unfinished to me. Unpolished or unlacquered.

IMG_6579.jpeg
Zero:RED / Q5K / QuietSea / Neo 5 / Szalayi / RU7 / MP145 / Lego Guy / Piranha Plant

Reached my resting point for price / sound quality / variety and am now focusing on enjoying other hobbies and giving the wallet a rest! I need to get the Dune Ornithopter set next… and cables. S*** no rest for the wicked it seems…
I'm more or less done with purchasing too, but there are always cables or tips or other accessories that I need.

He's back...

Opera Snapshot_2024-02-10_081132_www.facebook.com.png
FX15 didn't keep him quiet for long. Earbuds with subbass ... it's not happening.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #95,257 of 103,943
To weigh in about this "ZiSin" store, I think there is a chance they are legitimate (dodgy marketing claims aside). My only rationale for that is that they are linked by (what appears to be?) an official IvipQ Twitter account: https://twitter.com/gongipq7829/status/1750778143881957850

They wanted people to follow the new store, so it may be a new sister brand of IvipQ they're trying to get off the ground. I also messaged the "IviQ-03" AliExpress store (separate to ZiSin) and received the code for the advertised 8-core modular cable, which did indeed cut the price to $25. It took a few days but the item has now been marked as shipped, which is positive.

If people are interested, I'll try to remember to report back if/when the cable ever arrives. I likely won't be able to offer much feedback on the sonic qualities of the cable, as I haven't yet experienced any impact of cables on SQ (having only tried cheap cables and stock cables from my IEMs) and so don't have much of a reference point - but thought the chance to try a potentially premium modular cable for such a low price would be worth a punt. Haven't tried a cable with gold in it before, so maybe this will be the first to show me the difference a cable can make.

If anyone else shares my curiosity, the code was [REMOVED - confirmed to not work anymore], but the Twitter does say it ran until the end of Jan so it may not work anymore. I wouldn't rush out to pay full price for any of their cables just yet considering they still have no feedback, but they are a new store so we'll see if that changes after the influx of orders from the above promotion hopefully are delivered.
Just wanted to follow-up to this to say the cable arrived earlier this week, so can confirm, ZiSin have pulled through :) Cable looks very nice, feels great (nicest feeling in my modest collection - similar to the Aful Performer 5 cable, but with a much tighter braid which is a big improvement), and the modular system works very well, easy enough to attach and the terminations hold very confidently.

I can't say it's made me a cable believer, but I've recently been comparing all sorts (all copper vs silver/palladium vs copper/silver vs copper/silver/graphene vs this, with a mix of types of copper and core amounts and thicknesses), and I just haven't found any perceived changes to be reproducible enough to convince me. But hey, that's a me thing, other people feel differently and I'd encourage any of them with funds to spare to pick this up to decide for themselves. Although it's not quite the $25 I got it for, there are some big discounts on it at the moment when you include the current 32% off on top of the £34 voucher: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006481065978.html

The ivipQ case in the background of the below image is what they came in, so definitely does seem like they are a sister brand. Excuse the very average photo!

thumbnail_PXL_20240210_210905968.MP.jpg

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #95,258 of 103,943
I'm more or less done with purchasing too, but there are always cables or tips or other accessories that I need.
Yeah same. I have quite a few tips that need replacing, and I still want to try out the Azla ones at some point, still haven’t yet.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #95,259 of 103,943
Ok guys, I own Linsoul now. I'll give you the paypal address to send your money to if you PM me. K BYE!

Sorry but I can't use PayPal as I have no access to the internet. I could however ship payment to you in gold, from my friend the prince in Nigeria. Don't be worried by any additional delays or fees as they are due to shipping delays around Yemen!

Yours in utmost sincerity, Carpet. :rolling_eyes:

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #95,260 of 103,943
FX15 didn't keep him quiet for long. Earbuds with subbass ... it's not happening.

Tell him to use duct tape over his ears to get a better seal. It works best if you use one continuous 2" wide strip that runs across the front of your face under your nose. Facial hair, no problem!:smiling_imp:

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #95,261 of 103,943
Quick update about Trio:

• I concede to @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 and others: the 1100 config sounds better than 1000.
  • There IEM were tuned for foam, which is quite rare and interesting to see. When listening using silicone tips, a peak somewhere in treble appears, giving a touch of treble spice even when listening to voice over documentaries. On the plus side, the upper treble is also more prominent, meaning a bit more imaging clarity and detail.
  • Bass in 11xx configuration is tactile and nice. I would say bass quality and stage are key strengths of this IEM.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #95,262 of 103,943
I believe the Campfire Supermoon is the best planar. Got it yesterday...the bass is insane!

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #95,263 of 103,943
Not disputing that (speakers's hierarchy) . But will say this. Sivga iem's soundstage is definitely more 3d and out of my head (pyschoacoustic illusion, to use @o0genesis0o 's term) than my Senns HD660S2 openbacks. No doubt about it. The s2 cans are better than the other iems that i have/heard. And it's all nicely done too - dependent on songs/recordings, not everything is pushed out distantly. As the reviewer JayAudio put it ( and I am quoting him on it cos I haven't heard any other wide-soundstage iem): "sivga's soundstage is just before Z1R" - Which I have read a few here talk about as having huge soundstage.

Yes the Sivga Nightingale indeed has a very wide soundstage (depth and height aren't as expansive though).

I feel like soundstage is easily the most subjective/personal aspect of a headphone. Everyone perceives it differently.

Yes soundstage is extremely subjective. Firstly, one cannot quantify it objectively. Graphs (measurements) may hint that perhaps this IEM may have a wide soundstage, but they can't put a finger down exactly and say, the soundstage will be XX % more than this other graph.

Soundstage is also related to ear anatomy, mastering of the track itself, eartips used, the transducer itself, volume played at, source etc.

There's definitely a large psychoacoustic phenomenon involved for soundstage too. Have you tried lying down on a bed listening to the same IEM, versus sitting upright? The soundstage perceived is quite different!

IMHO, no planar IEM in the current day context (I've tried the Campfire Supermoon also) has the same movement of air/decay as a DD bass. Yes, as you stated the bass in planar IEMs are generally very fast (so they bring excellent transients), but sometimes the notes are cut off too fast?

Planar IEMs have definitely come an extremely long way, they used to be an exotic and expensive tech just 2 years back, but are now routinely below $100 USD. I think the planar IEMs bring a lot of benefits to us consumers, but they ain't the 100% finished product yet and are still being refined in the bass aspects and perhaps timbre. Therein, some forum members are asking for a DD + planar hybrid, so that the DD can take care of the bass, but keep the best parts of a planar's technical chops.

Yincrow's flagships
earbuds.. i think @baskingshark has experience with those 😂

Haha yes he came to ask me about this earbuds query. Seems the FX15 is no longer the biggest question on his mind haha.

Actually there are earbuds with sub-bass, but they ain't common. Sub-bass is usually related to seal/isolation, which obviously earbuds don't have. But stuff like the Smabat series utilizes an acoustic labyrinth structure to deliberately extend the sound tubes. This lets the higher frequency sounds be dissipated, so as to keep the sub-bass. They won't hit the same amount of sub-bass as a basshead IEM, but you can still get some sub-bass rumble on some of their earbuds (their tuning is another story though, as the Smabat house sound likes to jack up the 3 kHz area to give a banshee icepick in the pinna gain region haha).

Smabat.jpg

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #95,264 of 103,943
But stuff like the Smabat series utilizes an acoustic labyrinth structure to deliberately extend the sound tubes
Is Smabat good now? Last time I reviewed the M4, I actually felt bad for them. The concept was good, but the execution was deeply flawed (none of the buds have any resemblance of channel balance). They send the entire produce line up over twice, which should have costed them pretty pennies, but same problem. I don’t think they ever want me to review their stuffs, and I don’t want to either, but I hope they succeed with that modular earbud vision.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #95,265 of 103,943
Is Smabat good now? Last time I reviewed the M4, I actually felt bad for them. The concept was good, but the execution was deeply flawed (none of the buds have any resemblance of channel balance). They send the entire produce line up over twice, which should have costed them pretty pennies, but same problem. I don’t think they ever want me to review their stuffs, and I don’t want to either, but I hope they succeed with that modular earbud vision.

Hmm, I think their house sound is an antithesis to what most of those in the west prefer. The Smabat gear mostly jack the 3 kHz upper mids region to the moon (I have one of their earbuds, the ST20 Pro, which has almost 15 - 20 dB pinna gain LOLOL).

I've stopped buying their gear cause overly zealous upper mids are not my cup of tea. Perhaps the Chinese domestic market that enjoys "FEMALE POISON" upper mids may like Smabat's tuning, but YMMV. So while their earbuds may have sub-bass, this Himalayan upper mids cannot be balanced out even with a bigger sub-bass, and most of their buds cannot be used at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve) or for those sensitive to this 3 kHz region.

The company has a lot of innovative ideas, like the previously mentioned acoustic labyrinth design. They have modular earbuds where you can connect new drivers inside. They sell soldering kits with modular drivers in some models for DIYers to play with. Some of their earbuds incorporate BAs with a DD, whereas most earbuds are still using only DD. I guess if you are open to EQing or modding the upper mids, they are an option, but most in the Headfi earbuds thread dislike the stock house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back