The discovery thread!
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #95,236 of 103,560
I can't determine soundstage size easy. Maybe it isn't important for me :)
It will vary from songs and recordings of course. But should be easy to determine. Hear a same song on different iems, one reputed to have a bigger soundstage. And you should be able to hear the difference.

Edit: or so I thought, until an hour back when people here say that's also subjective.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:53 AM Post #95,237 of 103,560
to me positioning and imaging is more important that outright size.
there is no point having a big ass size only to have your drum WAAAY out in the back.
i forgot which iem that have that "distant sounding" as feature.

but positioning or to be specific avoiding stage congestion is more important to me, (along with clear imaging/layering to for extra cripsness on that positioning)
i forgot which KZ, possibly CRA, that have vocals seems to fight for the same spot with the drum in the stage. causing annoying overlapping sound.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #95,238 of 103,560
@Tamizhan Does that interest you?!! It does to me.
It's an alternate iteration of the same tuning as rhapsody. Looking out for a good tuning like the penon/isn ones. Also giving some time for budget category to catch up with the passive radiator/custom film retarding driver. It'll trickle down soon enough.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #95,239 of 103,560
It's an alternate iteration of the same tuning as rhapsody. Looking out for a good tuning like the penon/isn ones. Also giving some time for budget category to catch up with the passive radiator/custom film retarding driver. It'll trickle down soon enough.
Wah! You are a wonderfully patient young man.
Oh yeah, forgot you already have the rhapsody. Cool. The reecho dawn also doesn't tempt you? : -)
And these radiator/retarding driver aid in which part of the soundscape? the bass? or some overall voodoo magic?

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #95,240 of 103,560
to me positioning and imaging is more important that outright size.
there is no point having a big ass size only to have your drum WAAAY out in the back.
i forgot which iem that have that "distant sounding" as feature.

but positioning or to be specific avoiding stage congestion is more important to me, (along with clear imaging/layering to for extra cripsness on that positioning)
i forgot which KZ, possibly CRA, that have vocals seems to fight for the same spot with the drum in the stage. causing annoying overlapping sound.
Yeah, if the main instruments are always spread out and distant across tracks and albums, it’s usually the IEM has some sort of colouring that would cause imbalance elsewhere, IMHO. To me, good “stage” is open enough, varying between recording precisely according to the decision of mixing engineer, and ultimately entertaining (sound popping up near and far, layering up, floating around and inside the headstage).

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #95,241 of 103,560
yep, 100% more into a DD. There are enough good planars out right now.
There are enough good everythings out now. If you wanna be cynical there’s nothing worth getting excited about because almost everything is derivative at this point

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #95,242 of 103,560
Wah! You are a wonderfully patient young man.
Oh yeah, forgot you already have the rhapsody. Cool. The reecho dawn also doesn't tempt you? : -)
And these radiator/retarding driver aid in which part of the soundscape? the bass? or some overall voodoo magic?
I wouldn't know exactly where it helps the sound as I've not heard them, but only those above midfi tier are using them (except for the DZ4, where letshouer debuted them). Suppose to release the unwanted reverberations inside the IEM.
Yeah, if the main instruments are always spread out and distant across tracks and albums, it’s usually the IEM has some sort of colouring that would cause imbalance elsewhere, IMHO. To me, good “stage” is open enough, varying between recording precisely according to the decision of mixing engineer, and ultimately entertaining (sound popping up near and far, layering up, floating around and inside the headstage).
Double flange tips helped me with improving layering on CCA rhapsody.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #95,243 of 103,560
Bought a bunch of cheap tips from AE. These two were the highlights of this "experiment".

Azla just for reference:

IMG_20240210_110659.jpg

Monster tips M - Azla SednaEarfit Light Short tips S - Beats tips M

Monster tips
  • Narrow to medium bore
  • Dome is fairly thin but firm, very smooth matte like finish and rounder shape
  • Stem is on the short side and firm
    • Balanced sound
    • Has a crossfeed kind of effect on soundstage, slightly narrower and brings it in front of the head
    • Seal is good to very good
Beats tips
  • Very wide bore, TRI Clarion size
  • Dome is thin and very pliable
  • Stem is short and semi firm
    • Tames Midbass
    • Vocals sound airier, SOME male vocals sound a bit lean
    • Seal is just OK

The store: https://trigrain518946.aliexpress.com/store/518946

Monster tips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32712521085.html
Beats tips: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32862758552.html

YMMV

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #95,244 of 103,560
Absolutely... Not every song will be like that. Will depend on recording. And then you hear the wowness when it spreads here and there. Some are cosily intimate.

And am guessing planars with their effect of ending a note's posthumous life quicker than DD tend to have more illusory separation and space. Maybe. Not that it explains other parts of the auditory illusion of soundstage, but at least these bits.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #95,245 of 103,560
Hmmm... Strange.. Even soundstage is so subjective? Guess just one person here @Leonarfd Feels like that with Mirai-X , but you guys reckon it's a common occurrence with iems? Hmmm. Wonder how it works.
FOr eg: I would be positively gobsmacked if anyone hears sivga nightingale and considers its soundstage as regular. It's out of my ears, out there up, behind, here there... Then for someone to say it isn't like that for them would be something.
Wonder how these psychoacoustic illusion plays out technically for such diverse views.
Its no deep soundstage in IEMs, as sounds are pushed straight into your ears. IEMs still sound spacious and differ from set to set, and different from person to person.
Also much of this come down to the music you listen to also.

Lets say speakers have 100% soundstage depth, then maybe headphones are 5%. Then IEMs it is maybe 1%, dont think its much more. The thing that IEMs excels at is imaging cues, pinpoint accuracy of sound.

I also dont think its that important, as long it has a good 3D effect.

----------------------------------------------

Day two on TSMR X, similar opinion as last day. I do like the TSMR X, perhaps one of Penon (and sister brands) best releases when looking at bass alone.
If not for my decision to stop buying Penon IEMs I would have ordered my own, looking at other models from Penon or other brands I think the price is accurate at $399.

I could always be dishonest and say lots of crap since I dont like Penon anymore, but that wouldn't be me. Penon still have plenty of models I highly regard as excellent IEMs and that I also recommend.

Its also normal to find something you dislike, happens with even my favourites IEMs. No perfect IEM exist. Or maybe it does for some, then they are lucky and should stop the endless chase we are doing for audio nirvana.

Also Mr Grumpy approves of TSMR X, he is a true basshead.

DSCF43700.png

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #95,246 of 103,560
<snip positive stuff about Mirai-X which I don't understand why it has created unpleasant ripples, admittedly in not too many people>

Its no deep soundstage in IEMs, as sounds are pushed straight into your ears. IEMs still sound spacious and differ from set to set, and different from person to person.
Also much of this come down to the music you listen to also.

Lets say speakers have 100% soundstage depth, then maybe headphones are 5%. Then IEMs it is maybe 1%, dont think its much more. The thing that IEMs excels at is imaging cues, pinpoint accuracy of sound is accurate on almost every IEM.

I also dont think its that important, as long it has a good 3D effect.

----------------------------------------------
Not disputing that (speakers's hierarchy) . But will say this. Sivga iem's soundstage is definitely more 3d and out of my head (pyschoacoustic illusion, to use @o0genesis0o 's term) than my Senns HD660S2 openbacks. No doubt about it. The s2 cans are better than the other iems that i have/heard. And it's all nicely done too - dependent on songs/recordings, not everything is pushed out distantly. As the reviewer JayAudio put it ( and I am quoting him on it cos I haven't heard any other wide-soundstage iem): "sivga's soundstage is just before Z1R" - Which I have read a few here talk about as having huge soundstage.

Is the soundstage that important? It depends. For me, I was looking for one with such an experience and I love it, as it has the rest: the imaging, details, spacing, 3d. With that satiated, I am now looking at a tastefully-done bassy iem since i don't have one. I generally flinch when there is too much bass; Aful P8's quality sub-bass is good for me. And Fan2's mid-bass is fine, when I am in mood. But now in this forum, I see so much reference to quality bass, the purring pleasure of deep low end, that I am curious to experience, and see if i would like such a tuning. But learning from @Tamizhan, will wait to see if it filters down to budget. You also do appreciate the Mirai-x's low end. Hmm, tempting.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #95,247 of 103,560
I wouldn't know exactly where it helps the sound as I've not heard them, but only those above midfi tier are using them (except for the DZ4, where letshouer debuted them). Suppose to release the unwanted reverberations inside the IEM.

Double flange tips helped me with improving layering on CCA rhapsody.
Cool. One way of getting things into budget-arena is used market! I learnt that to my benefit with the Sivga. Got it used for less than half the price and not 280 or whatever it's original price is. Unless, you want everything spanky-new : - )

Feb 10, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #95,248 of 103,560
Won't be getting the Trio bro, I've been banned by KZ for giving negative reviews. Also some weird fake new accounts popped up to cause trouble after that (for other reviewers who gave negative reviews too). Very dodgy, hence won't be touching their gear with a ten foot pole from now on.

But definitely look forward to you guys' review on the Trio, it seems quite promising from first adopter impressions! I do hope it can be an excellent value product for newcomers! KZ/CCA can definitely push out good products, it is just that for every one solid release, we may have to trawl through 5 - 6 other crappy ones, with the high turnover of "PRO" iterations using consumers as beta testers prior to that. Not to mention the over-the-top marketing shenanigans and dodgy PR.

Ouch. Are you also banned from Penon :dt880smile:

That reminds me. Nothing stops KZ/CCA from changing the next batch of these IEMs by cutting corner some where. Recommending this batch might comes back and bite me in the back, just like the PR2. Still, I prefer to have a positive outlook that they will be more reliable now that the driver boot is 3D printed.

Would be funny if Hi-Fri finds out that only 1 out of 3DD actually works.

We will start a petition for you to be unbanned from all these brands, my friend. Please name all brands who have banned you. 😬

I raise my hat to respect our buddy @baskingshark for his courage with transparent review rather than being company's silent marketing. With all those dramas, company who only accept good reviews, linsoul side vs penon side, marketing words disguise as reviews, etc, he stays with his honest review though he knows the consequence for not getting any IEM anymore from some companies.
You know what I hate? Answer about comparison between 2 IEMs from same side or same company but the reviewer doesn't say pros and cons clearly to please the company, just saying "these are different, but both are good" ouch..

He's back...

Yincrow's flagships
earbuds.. i think @baskingshark has experience with those 😂

Feb 10, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #95,249 of 103,560
Hmmm... Strange.. Even soundstage is so subjective?
I feel like soundstage is easily the most subjective/personal aspect of a headphone. Everyone perceives it differently.

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #95,250 of 103,560
There are enough good everythings out now. If you wanna be cynical there’s nothing worth getting excited about because almost everything is derivative at this point
Not wrong, but I should have clarified warm, bassy planar maybe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back