The discovery thread!
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:58 PM Post #95,191 of 100,466
Feb 9, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #95,192 of 100,466
Punchy bass. Really brings my 80's pop library to life.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #95,194 of 100,466
Did ya hit A B start and select after flipping the switches?
I went straight for the Contra code with this one and got 30 lives.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #95,195 of 100,466
If you think about break-in, Just remember it is only necessary for DDs and planers. they are just like your woofers in your car and home stereo. I heard my car's stereo improve for 6 months. It became more detailed and was able to play lower notes. You would think we were trying to play a joke on the unbelieving 50%. Not so. Just want you guys to break-in your new IEMs that have DDs and planers. Play music continually through your new ones, listening when you start and again after 50 hours. You will hear a difference.
Preach! :)

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #95,196 of 100,466
So at the moment which is the one to buy - Rhapsody or Trio?

Text copied from chifi love Facebook group, posted by Justin Merrill

"CCA Trio

I’d say this is Castor harman version 2.0 (Trio is a bit bigger in shell size) They a very similar to the Castor and Rhapsody’s tuning

(In my opinion) I like the Rhapsody more, it’s tuned better for me and my library of rock, wired crap and metal music. The stage of the Music is just outside of the ears and vocals are just out in front of your face and less intimate and congested then the Castor. If your a Metal head like me I’d say go for the Rhapsody with the 500 mesh filter mod (more punch in mid bass less pina). If you want more musical and fun/full and and natural go for the CCA Trio, It’s sounding fantastic with some Underworld as I type this.

The Trio’s tuning is warm, fun, full, and natural. It has average stage, imaging, and separation for its price bracket and is better then the castor. No complaints here. Warm musical and great bass but by no means basshead. It never gets fatiguing and I could listen to them for hours.

Fit and comfort is great but the shells are large and will not be great for small ears."

The word Crap was head fi doing

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #95,197 of 100,466
I'm glad the reference was understood 😁

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #95,198 of 100,466
1000 1db bass boost and no upper mid boost, according to the leaflet in the box
I actually ended up OFF ON ON OFF. I tried yours, and that was a little too balanced or sterile for me. I didn't like losing the punch and the sparkles. I get these with the OFF ON ON OFF. Brings the music to life.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #95,199 of 100,466
Text copied from chifi love Facebook group, posted by Justin Merrill

"CCA Trio

I’d say this is Castor harman version 2.0 (Trio is a bit bigger in shell size) They a very similar to the Castor and Rhapsody’s tuning

(In my opinion) I like the Rhapsody more, it’s tuned better for me and my library of rock, wired crap and metal music. The stage of the Music is just outside of the ears and vocals are just out in front of your face and less intimate and congested then the Castor. If your a Metal head like me I’d say go for the Rhapsody with the 500 mesh filter mod (more punch in mid bass less pina). If you want more musical and fun/full and and natural go for the CCA Trio, It’s sounding fantastic with some Underworld as I type this.

The Trio’s tuning is warm, fun, full, and natural. It has average stage, imaging, and separation for its price bracket and is better then the castor. No complaints here. Warm musical and great bass but by no means basshead. It never gets fatiguing and I could listen to them for hours.

Fit and comfort is great but the shells are large and will not be great for small ears."

The word Crap was head fi doing
I agree with some, and not with others. The stage is NOT average, neither are the technicalities, but yes, this is NOT a basshead IEM. Even with the two bass switches ON.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #95,200 of 100,466
How does the CCA Trio handle metal in the UP UP DOWN DOWN setting?

Specifically with these tracks.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #95,201 of 100,466

BASS. More precisely mid bass PUNCH. Now with the mids and treble reduced, you hear obvious bass bleed, and the guitar notes aren't as crisp or sharp. The bass is BOMP BOMP BOMP. Now in DOWN UP UP DOWN, the bass bleed lessens and the guirar notes have more bite and clarity.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:38 PM Post #95,202 of 100,466
How is the Ziigaat Doscinco? People raving about its bass quality on a different forum. We have three options - TSMR X, Hype4, Doscinco - for basshead level iem. X should be the most technical of three and Doscinco, the best value for money.

1707536207616.png

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #95,203 of 100,466
I’ll measure these Trio as soon as I can, unless @baskingshark beats me to it. I have a hunch that there are only 4 instead of 16 options, and all are variations around Harman target.

Agree with @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 that the stage is not mere average, at least in terms of the size. Imaging is good, maybe between good and great, given that there is some layering going on.

Pretty full package, sonic wise at $30. I would recommend this. Currently using it with the black cat cable.

If Kz avoided their nonsense bragging marketing in the past, and started their return with this IEM, their reputation might be way different. Hope that they can keep following this signature and technical performance.

Since I have been raving about lots of stuffs this week, so let recap and update:
  • Pula PA02: I don’t like the cellos on these at all. Technical performance is still as impressive as the first listen. I would recommend at the price they retail.
  • HiBy Yvain: I continue to use these everyday. It’s different from the balanced tonality that I prefer, but good different. I still rave about this, but I would suggest auditioning before buying if you can. It’s different than usual.
  • CCA Trio: great budget IEM without major compromise (beside the KZ 2-pin connector). Not as detailed as the other two, but super impressive at $30.
  • Hiby R6 Pro 2: battery is concerning. However, screen and performance and sound are excellent. Highly recommend if you can tolerate 4-5h screen time.
Trio is bought by myself. All the rest are borrowed.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #95,204 of 100,466
I’ll measure these Trio as soon as I can, unless @baskingshark beats me to it. I have a hunch that there are only 4 instead of 16 options, and all are variations around Harman target.

Won't be getting the Trio bro, I've been banned by KZ for giving negative reviews. Also some weird fake new accounts popped up to cause trouble after that (for other reviewers who gave negative reviews too). Very dodgy, hence won't be touching their gear with a ten foot pole from now on.

But definitely look forward to you guys' review on the Trio, it seems quite promising from first adopter impressions! I do hope it can be an excellent value product for newcomers! KZ/CCA can definitely push out good products, it is just that for every one solid release, we may have to trawl through 5 - 6 other crappy ones, with the high turnover of "PRO" iterations using consumers as beta testers prior to that. Not to mention the over-the-top marketing shenanigans and dodgy PR.

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #95,205 of 100,466

BASS. More precisely mid bass PUNCH. Now with the mids and treble reduced, you hear obvious bass bleed, and the guitar notes aren't as crisp or sharp. The bass is BOMP BOMP BOMP. Now in DOWN UP UP DOWN, the bass bleed lessens and the guirar notes have more bite and clarity.

That's pretty awesome! Brought back some memories. I agree, I preferred DUUD over UUDD for those reasons. I'm kinda digging the mid/treble switches in the DU configuration here, really brings the drum work out to play. Bass could UD or DU for a bit more bomp. I kinda want DUDU to work out, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back