The discovery thread!
Feb 7, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #94,906 of 103,277
I'm not sure that's an acceptable reason though is it. Imagine buying a TV and being told the picture is substandard until you've watched it for 200hours. I think its fair to say you'd expect it to be working at the intended ability as soon as you unbox it and set it up. Just my opinion ofc.
Well.. you know, with Oled TV you have to wait several time before calibrate them (something like 100 hours) :sweat_smile:

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #94,907 of 103,277

Came back to Venture Electronics SiE a.k.a. the lushest of lush after a good while and decided to do some tip swapping. It came to a halt very rapidly right after I tried the Coreir.

It looks as if it barely hangs onto the nozzle, but it is very secure. Azla Xelastec were the ones I used before to aid with SiE's less than perfect fit for my ears due to a stubby nozzle. They did their job thanks to their sticky material. Coreir, though, goes about it in a very mechanical fashion. The brass inserts essentially lengthen the nozzles and now SiE fits wonderfully.

Joy of listening is still here too. It remains a bassy and enveloping listen that manages to sound the most speaker-like from my collection, but as an added bonus Coreir lent a helping hand to SiE in its otherwise not-so-good technicalities. Great success!
Love the SiE! As you said, so very lush...
I will have to try them with the Corier tips.

And that last line of your post, I can't help but imagine that being said in the accent of Borat.
borat-very.gif

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 1:31 PM Post #94,908 of 103,277

And that last line of your post, I can't help but imagine that being said in the accent of Borat.
borat-very.gif
2nd time I head about these Corier tips today, I guess I better pick up a set and check them out. I just got the Divinus Velvet tips yesterday and they have unseated the Azla Crystals on a couple of IEMs. Theyre outstanding.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #94,909 of 103,277
Reached out to Symphonium if they want to send over a pair, I'll redo it full style review on the Meteor if so, after reading Dom (excellent review 👌) I want go give it another go. Another ting I do want to perhaps buy the Crimson this spring, need to save some cash first if so.

Either the unit of Meteor I was testing from my friend @Erkil was a lemon, or we talk about seal problems fu__ing up.

No IEM I have heard other than Meteor been so veiled, it was like listening to music playing in another room. Tbh wouldn't make sense to make it like this, only explanation is that something is wrong.
Our hero has a new profile pic! Looking sharp with AüR Aure (?)
Hopefully you get something arranged with Symphonium!

I still haven’t listened to a single one of my IEMs, they’re all burning in still. Might listen to them once I’m an old man myself and I understand the magic.
Not a bad tactic. With quite a few IEM-flavour-of-the-month's it stands true that The more deaf you get, the better they sound.

How strange peoples beliefs. 50% 'believe' this, 50% 'believe' that, 50% believe this and that and then control 50% for believing this or that or kill 50% for believing this or that. 50% believe everything we believe in is a placebo. 50% believe everything is as they believe. Just listening and getting some peace and enjoyment is a good antidote to the 'belief' insanity.
I count 350%. Quite a crowded world you live in 😬

borat-very.gif
Oh they are wonderful. One of my earliest purchases soon after joining the hobby, thanks to @Deadstorm suggestion, and it's not going anywhere, no matter what other IEMs join the collection.

YES! I knew someone would notice that haha. Sasha Baron Cohen really made certain lines his own.

Feb 7, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #94,910 of 103,277
The things we do for this hobby. I mean my hobby would be a % easer if I didn’t burn-in. And the thing is that I get confirmation (perception wise) that it works with almost every IEM. Some a little and some a lot. I think the manufacturers that recommend it don’t simply have the time or energy? Woo Audio asks for 200 (I forget) maybe 300 hours till there 300b Woo Audio 5LE tube amp sounds as it should. I just don’t see them burning in a whole room full of tube amps all the time. And yes, IMR has wicked long times suggested. Most of the time I feel 75 -100 hours works for most products, yet then there are always the long ones, those are typically DD drivers. We often do seven full days just to be certain. But electrical equipment changes too, my Sony TA-ZH1ES got way smoother after 200 hours? But in fact I would love it if it was not true, that would save me so much trouble.

I'm sorry, but "burn-in" is placebo nonsense that isn't provable at all.

Why don't you take a listen to the actual R&D Manager at 64 Audio as he recently commented about this topic in this video (at 7:41). He has every reason to give some crap answer ("oh just listen to our IEMs for 500 hours then you'll see they sound amazing!") but instead he flat out says that the first 5-15 seconds of listening is the best judgement you will have. And this is a guy on the engineering team who actually knows how the drivers work. Listen to the part where he talks about how what you ate can literally affect the sound you hear - now how do you know that your IEM drivers didn't actually "burn in", but instead you are comparing the sound under two periods wherein your literal ear-drum physiology is different?

For those of you who think you can actually hear the drivers "loosening up", "becoming more cohesive", or whatever else: convince me that you're not just priming your brain to EXPECT to hear a difference. It's not complicated: if you convince yourself that the IEM's will "sound better" over time, then you are priming your brain for an expected result. When your brain expects an outcome, it tends to magically "find it". There are so many examples of this very same phenomenon that have been proven in multiple arenas. For example, when MSG became a hot-topic discussion as a flavouring ingredient in food there was an inaccurate initial study which suggested that it would make you feel bad if ingested. Once that "study" caught on among the public, magically everyone and their grandmothers proclaimed that eating food with MSG added was giving them headaches, etc, etc. The guy who initially did the study came back years later and redacted it - his conclusion wasn't even accurate. But yet, because people so thoroughly believed that MSG would make them feel bad in some way, they convinced themselves that eating Chinese takeout was giving them headaches. This myth is actually still active - there are people still convinced that they feel some unexplained ill effects after eating even mild amounts of MSG.

These phenomenons are well studied. Just like when they give someone who has some unexplained ailment a sugar pill but tell them its some magic new medication, and the subject all of a sudden doesn't feel whatever ailment they were complaining about.

The reality is that everyone wants to justify the IEM that they potentially spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on. "Oh when I first put them in I felt they were pretty good, but then after 100 hours of burn in they became amazing!". "Oh they're pretty good with the stock cable, but this $400 cable (which is just transmitting data lmao) made everything about them better!". Nah dawg, you're just coping. It's pure cope to believe that the tiny drivers in IEM's need hundreds to hours of operation to start working as they should.

After-market cables are the equivalent of thinking that slapping on a $20,000 body-kit on a Honda Civic is going to all of a sudden improve its acceleration.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #94,911 of 103,277

Why don't you take a listen to the actual R&D Manager at 64 Audio as he recently commented about this topic in this video (at 7:41). He has every reason to give some crap answer ("oh just listen to our IEMs for 500 hours then you'll see they sound amazing!") but instead he flat out says that the first 5-15 seconds of listening is the best judgement you will have. And this is a guy on the engineering team who actually knows how the drivers work. Listen to the part where he talks about how what you ate can literally affect the sound you hear - now how do you know that your IEM drivers didn't actually "burn in", but instead you are comparing the sound under two periods wherein your literal ear-drum physiology is different?

For those of you who think you can actually hear the drivers "loosening up", "becoming more cohesive", or whatever else: convince me that you're not just priming your brain to EXPECT to hear a difference. It's not complicated: if you convince yourself that the IEM's will "sound better" over time, then you are priming your brain for an expected result. When your brain expects an outcome, it tends to magically "find it". There are so many examples of this very same phenomenon that have been proven in multiple arenas. For example, when MSG became a hot-topic discussion as a flavouring ingredient in food there was an inaccurate initial study which suggested that it would make you feel bad if ingested. Once that "study" caught on among the public, magically everyone and their grandmothers proclaimed that eating food with MSG added was giving them headaches, etc, etc. The guy who initially did the study came back years later and redacted it - his conclusion wasn't even accurate. But yet, because people so thoroughly believed that MSG would make them feel bad in some way, they convinced themselves that eating Chinese takeout was giving them headaches. This myth is actually still active - there are people still convinced that they feel some unexplained ill effects after eating even mild amounts of MSG.

These phenomenons are well studied. Just like when they give someone who has some unexplained ailment a sugar pill but tell them its some magic new medication, and the subject all of a sudden doesn't feel whatever ailment they were complaining about.

The reality is that everyone wants to justify the IEM that they potentially spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on. "Oh when I first put them in I felt they were pretty good, but then after 100 hours of burn in they became amazing!". "Oh they're pretty good with the stock cable, but this $400 cable (which is just transmitting data lmao) made everything about them better!". Nah dawg, you're just coping. It's pure cope to believe that the tiny drivers in IEM's need hundreds to hours of operation to start working as they should.

After-market cables are the equivalent of thinking that slapping on a $20,000 body-kit on a Honda Civic is going to all of a sudden improve its acceleration.
🙄
I've been hesitant to weigh in on this but the arguing between both sides is getting old.
This hobby has a subjective quality to it and ultimately is about enjoyment.
Coming in here and belittling the other side is not appreciated nor productive to the environment that I want to foster.
Please, let's keep it lighthearted and positive if at all possible.
After all, this is Head-Fi, not ASR.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #94,912 of 103,277

why-you-mad.gif

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #94,913 of 103,277

Blah blah blah. How about staying on topic with discoveries? You must be a zinger at parties? The life of...

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #94,914 of 103,277
If this argument was an IEM it would be burned in already, give it a restttttt

Anyway Linsoul sale started and it is bad, booo. About to spend a bunch of money on cables I think, yayyyyy… someone sell Ivipq cables in the US so I don’t have to use AE ever again please

Edit - pics attached for what I think I’m ordering

Attachments

• IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    595.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6555.jpeg
    IMG_6555.jpeg
    725.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    817.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6562.jpeg
    IMG_6562.jpeg
    556.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6563.jpeg
    IMG_6563.jpeg
    541.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #94,915 of 103,277
🙄
I've been hesitant to weigh on in this but this argument between both sides is getting old.
This hobby has a subjective quality to it and ultimately is about enjoyment.
Coming in here and belittling the other side is not appreciated nor productive to the environment that I want to foster.
Please let's keep it lighthearted and positive if at all possible.

People can believe whatever they want, however the "burn in" crowd and cable-crowd constantly try to dissuade people who aren't impressed with what they purchased by suggesting to them that their IEM's will magically sound better after 'X' hours, or worse yet, once they spend hundreds of dollars on some magic aftermarket cable.

These opinions literally influence buying decisions. It's kind of worth discussing.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #94,916 of 103,277
If this argument was an IEM it would be burned in already, give it a restttttt

Anyway Linsoul sale started and it is bad, booo. About to spend a bunch of money on cables I think, yayyyyy… someone sell Ivipq cables in the US so I don’t have to use AE ever again please

Edit - pics attached for what I think I’m ordering
That first ivipQ cable is the one I have on my DTE900 and really like it.
Very soft and non-microphonic, too

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #94,917 of 103,277
If you burn in your IEMs for at least 100 hours with whale sounds, it really helps to improve imaging accuracy and sense of depth.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #94,918 of 103,277
Blah blah blah. How about staying on topic with discoveries? You must be a zinger at parties? The life of...

Oh, so it's no problem to have people proclaiming as fact that 'X' IEM "sounds better with burn-in" which has nothing to do with discoveries, but when someone challenges that completely subjective opinion they all of a sudden need to "stay on topic" LOL?

I am staying on topic. The last few pages are about burn-in. Don't get butthurt that I said something you didn't like.

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #94,919 of 103,277
Don’t give manufacturers idea.

Last time on aliexpress there was an “oil soaked copper” cable.

I ended up buying three of them. And then I realised I don’t like them.
Yup same here.
And surprisingly these finally found a home with Quattro...
And Quattro's cable went to Serial...
And acoustically it all works (for me).
This hobby is uncanny alchemy or I got wonky hearing (probably both).

Feb 7, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #94,920 of 103,277
however the "burn in" crowd and cable-crowd constantly try to dissuade people who aren't impressed with what they purchased
I am completely biased.
But I am also surprised now...I thought that it was completely vice-versa.
That non-believers (engineers particularly) always come and laugh :)

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back