The discovery thread!
Feb 7, 2024 at 8:09 AM Post #94,876 of 106,712
<Snip>
The Penon Fan 2 and Sony M9 are both lauded for their lush midrange (8 kHz is a coupler peak, measurements above 8 kHz are not accurate).

I suspect this is due to the gentle descend from 200ish Hz - 600 Hz (around the lower midrange), instead of a steep drop off like some other V-shaped IEMs. And both these IEMs are warm neutral and are not that bright in the upper treble, nor are the very bassy/basshead.

So this combination seems to add a lot of heft to the lower mids and lets it not be overshadowed by bass/treble?

If you like something like the Penon Fan 2, the next logical step up would be the Sony M7 and M9. The M9 is better than the Fan 2 in technicalities, but we are talking about 5x price differential and major diminishing returns. The M7 is just a tinge less technical than the M9, and not as good in soundstage/treble extension, but can hit around 80% - 90% or so of the M9 for substantially cheaper.
Oh okay. Thanks for that explanation. so 2k to 6k gentle dip, shall remember that!

Just checked the graphs of couple other IEMs I like.
Aful p8: that slopes down from 200 to 300 may be before its already on the ascent by 4k in that lower mid range.
Sivga Nightingale: flatlines almost from 200 to 400, before gently dips to 900 almost
Also saw Aful One (which I haven't heard): it slopes pretty gently from 200 to almost 800 even ...
Z1R seems to slope gently from 200 to 400 before flatlining to 800

That Sony M7 seems to start the Great Gentle Dip from 90-100 hz itself, all the way to 800!

Anyways, thanks a ton. Will keep a look on the graphs if the mood seizes like today, and try to make sense if i can.
Of course, I can always blame stuff on burn-in (just kidding Carmoose! )

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #94,877 of 106,712
Now, domq422 vs @Leonarfd about Meteor, fight! :dt880smile:
Your love is very much appreciated, brother, thank you so much! 💪

The LAST person I wanna go head to head with in terms of reviewing is @Leonarfd 😅 he’s a gentleman and scholar at that stuff, he’s perfected his craft!
Either the unit of Meteor I was testing from my friend @Erkil was a lemon, or we talk about seal problems fu__ing up.
There’s a good chance this was the case, brother. The first pair I listened to sounded like this, very veiled in the upper mids. I think my experience was due to the source pairing at the time because using my desktop stuff it sounds warm and laid back but the details are still there. They do take some serious power to shine though. The low impedance really does make them subject to serious differences when it comes to sources.

I’m working on getting a pair of Crimons from Symphonium next, I’m hoping that goes through so look out for that one coming next!

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #94,878 of 106,712
Hello Everyone!

Recently I found this IEM and caught my attention: DTTN LING in aliexpress

FENGRU DTTN Ling 1 Dynamic + 3 Balanced Armature Hybrid Driver In Ear Earphones Vocal HIFI Earplugs Detachable 2Pin for Audiophile
Feature:
1. Product Name: FENGRU DTTN Ling In Ear Earphone
2. Type: In-ear
3. Brand: FENGRU
4. Model: Ling
5. Impedance: 16Ω
6. Earphone sensitivity: 116dB/mW
7. Frequency range: 20-20000Hz
8. Plug: 3.5mm
9. Cable Length: 1.2m
10.Color: Grey/White
11.Whether with Mic: No
12.Earphone plug type: Line Type
13.Cable Interface: 2Pin
14.1 X 10mm graphene Dynamic + 2X BELLING 29689 BA + 1 X Knowles 33518

I almost never buy anything without reading a good review or waiting for someone to test it and say how it performs, at least what sound signature it has, but this time I just fell in love with this design and cable, and ordered them already! they are coming soon.

Does anyone know or have tested them?

Feb 7, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #94,880 of 106,712
The things we do for this hobby. I mean my hobby would be a % easer if I didn’t burn-in. And the thing is that I get confirmation (perception wise) that it works with almost every IEM. Some a little and some a lot. I think the manufacturers that recommend it don’t simply have the time or energy? Woo Audio asks for 200 (I forget) maybe 300 hours till there 300b Woo Audio 5LE tube amp sounds as it should. I just don’t see them burning in a whole room full of tube amps all the time. And yes, IMR has wicked long times suggested. Most of the time I feel 75 -100 hours works for most products, yet then there are always the long ones, those are typically DD drivers. We often do seven full days just to be certain. But electrical equipment changes too, my Sony TA-ZH1ES got way smoother after 200 hours? But in fact I would love it if it was not true, that would save me so much trouble.
I'm not sure that's an acceptable reason though is it. Imagine buying a TV and being told the picture is substandard until you've watched it for 200hours. I think its fair to say you'd expect it to be working at the intended ability as soon as you unbox it and set it up. Just my opinion ofc.

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #94,881 of 106,712
I'm not sure that's an acceptable reason though is it. Imagine buying a TV and being told the picture is substandard until you've watched it for 200hours. I think its fair to say you'd expect it to be working at the intended ability as soon as you unbox it and set it up. Just my opinion ofc.
Well, this hobby is totally full of acceptable and un-acceptable aspects. I mean we willfully adapt to it, at times. Audiophiles are a gullible breed, we would listen underwater if it sounded better. :)

Where sure much does boarder on the ridiculous. Come-on....strange electronic instruments that give the illusion of live music. That right there should have been a clue for most. And the fact that recorded music really hasn’t been perfected for that long, some would say the 1950s, or the 1940s, I say the 1960s. But then there are amplifiers and IEMs, the IEM thing really only has been around since 2007, pretty much. Now look at where/what we are. But if you go back through the pages of Head-Fi there are some amazing strange inventions. DAPs designed to look like pocket whiskey containers, amps where one whole side is a glob of silicone. So to ask people to start to listen as the music will be fine (possibly) at zero hours, yet maybe better after 200 seems the least of our worries. There have been so many strange and fascinating inventions which have come and gone here, yet burn-in seems to still hold some authority, and it’s great if you don’t believe in it, it makes life way more simple.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #94,882 of 106,712
So to ask people to start to listen as the music will be fine at zero hours, yet possibly better after 200 seems the least of our worries.
It's the same thing with the coffee (espresso); the only thing is that in that world, the same thing is called seasoning the burrs (grinder).

I say...LIVE...and LET LIVE...simple as that :wink:

Cheers!

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #94,883 of 106,712
20240206_152940.jpg

Not bad XINHS, not bad...

Feb 7, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #94,884 of 106,712
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #94,886 of 106,712
It's the same thing with the coffee (espresso); the only thing is that in that world, the same thing is called seasoning the burrs (grinder).

I say...LIVE...and LET LIVE...simple as that :wink:

Cheers!
Seasoned inside a civets' (small, cat-like mammal) poop!

The beans slip through their digestive systems, which is collected from faeces.

Indonesia's expensive coffee Kopi Luwak.

Live and Poop, atleast if not let live...

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #94,889 of 106,712
Seasoned inside a civets' (small, cat-like mammal) poop!

The beans slip through their digestive systems, which is collected from faeces.

Indonesia's expensive coffee Kopi Luwak.

Live and Poop, atleast if not let live...
I was touring a Luwak coffee plantation and they have these bins full of the Luwak coffee in pure form. I picked up a bean and chewed on it. Then I realized it was cat poop. :) Not exactly a cat though?
39902871-9E96-48C1-BA82-A865D5F6D0A8.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back