The discovery thread!
Feb 6, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #94,831 of 100,493
Warning for some potential AI-written review funny-business going on over on hifiguides (user "jhone_obrow", their first and only post), promoting the Ljoma 5 BA. It's a shame, but not a surprise, to see stuff like this going on.
:thinking:
1707258934338.png

Feb 6, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #94,832 of 100,493
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #94,833 of 100,493
I think @XERO1 is averse to the Sigmot house sound. Pretty much everyone I respect has defined it as pretty spicy up top. And that is exactly the reason I have stayed away from Simgot. Doesn't mean they cannot bring lots of joy to many folks.

While I do believe in burn in, I do not think it will take a Sigmot push in the lower treble and a bass tuck and turn it into an HBB signature. for example. It has taken me a while (can you say decades) to figure out what I do and do not like, Yet that experience of owning lots of IEMs and HPs helps me filter the hyped reviews.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #94,834 of 100,493
A previous poster said that it needed 200 hours. Some IEMs do. I break my DD and planar IEMs a full week myself, but have had a few IEMs that needed 200 or more.
Just try it. I just use my own playlists from Tidal. I am an old man. What the hell do I know.
Maybe it's an old man thing cuz I am seeing the same thing develop, as I usually do, during burn in of DD sets. I'm with you on this one, but maybe we just have patience.

Using his logic, just start listening after 100 and you're probably fine letting your brain burn with it for the next 100.

And finally, borrowing your phrase, I'm an old man, what the hell do I know 😂

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #94,835 of 100,493
Hello my Discovery Thread brethren, I have finally posted my full review of the Symphonium Meteor which happens to be my first full review on this site, officially :) Checking it out would mean a lot to me. Cheers!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/symphonium-meteor.26113/reviews#review-32924

Edit-15.jpg
Nice writeup and photos! As I was going through your review, I was wondering how you got that holographic Daft Punk logo and then I scrolled down further and realized it was a clock! Pretty cool.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #94,836 of 100,493
200 hours of burn-in… Look, I am certain that you believe wholeheartedly what you are saying. And, despite my own significant doubts, I will not exclude the possibility that you are right. But, you might want to reconsider recommending 200 hours of burnin, or at least have the self awareness that such a recommendation may appear extreme to many.
I burned my Arya in for 400 hours before they settled... :)

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #94,837 of 100,493
Nice writeup and photos! As I was going through your review, I was wondering how you got that holographic Daft Punk logo and then I scrolled down further and realized it was a clock! Pretty cool.
Thanks so much for reading 🤝

the clock was a Spotify exclusive they released about 3 or 4 months ago roughly. From the pics online it looked like it lit up, so for $50, I was in. Thinking it lit up AND thinking it was licensed daft punk merch, I was so disappointed to find out it was not license merchandise AND it didn’t light up 😂 oh well makes for a cool photo.

Feb 6, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #94,838 of 100,493
Here's a review of the GeekWold GK10S: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ge...dynamic-driver-iem.26980/reviews#review-32926

Geek 14.jpg

TLDR: NOT RECOMMENDED AT ALL; 2/5 stars.

Pros:

Decent accessories
Comfortable for ergonomics
One for bassheads in terms of quantity, with good rumble

Cons:
Fussy with source pairing due to low impedance
Mid-bass bleed with slow bass
Dark treble, not too resolving
Poor technical chops
Artificial timbre

Graph via IEC711 coupler. 8 kHz is a coupler peak:
Geekwold GK10S.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #94,839 of 100,493
Here's a review of the GeekWold GK10S: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ge...dynamic-driver-iem.26980/reviews#review-32926

Geek 14.jpg

Pros:

Decent accessories

Cons:
Poor technical chops
Artificial timbre

Geekwold GK10S.jpg

I wish a review like this would make the front page

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #94,840 of 100,493

Geek 14.jpg

Pros:

Decent accessories

Cons:
Poor technical chops
Artificial timbre

Geekwold GK10S.jpg
Your honesty is so consistent and that’s why you’re one of the guys I respect the most on this site. You, @Leonarfd & @o0genesis0o are my go to guys. Thanks for your honesty on this one

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #94,841 of 100,493
200 hours of burn-in… Look, I am certain that you believe wholeheartedly what you are saying. And, despite my own significant doubts, I will not exclude the possibility that you are right. But, you might want to reconsider recommending 200 hours of burnin, or at least have the self awareness that such a recommendation may appear extreme to many.
Ah, Exotic membranes...
you need to burn those in all the through the warranty expiration date, only then it'll sound good.
---
that being said, brain burn is a real thing and it might need few days to settle.

Feb 6, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #94,842 of 100,493
Waiting on some more CCA Trio reviews before I decide to purchase or not. Told myself I'd stay away from budget sets since I'm happy with the Cadenza and Tin C3 but now I'm itching to try something new.

TRN Conch and EW200 were nice but not a fan of the harsh treble on both at times. Briefly tried the Zero 2 and they were a disappointment.

Might try out one of CCA Rhapsody, Castor (Bass or Harman), Ziigaat Nuo or CCA Trio.
surprisingly alot of people already got their hands on the early 100 units of CCA Trio,
i saw several people shows it on headfi and facebook audio group,

majority love it and only one slightly negative review at music library compatibility when compared with Rhapsody.

oddly enough few big first impression write up, people seems holding it in and going to do long write up on this Trio
---

So far I certainly prefer the Trio to the Castor Harman, it is more refined, has better timbre and the technicalities are also improved. The treble is very well tuned and is more extended and detailed.

1707272678414.png

1707272624731.png

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #94,843 of 100,493
Simgot-EA1000.jpg

I've just completed a review of the Simgot EA1000s - by far one of the most impressive IEMs I've heard under $500. You're invited to read it here. :relaxed:

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #94,844 of 100,493

Geek 14.jpg

Pros:

Decent accessories

Cons:
Poor technical chops
Artificial timbre

Geekwold GK10S.jpg
Looks like of the 3 reviews listed only Redcarmoose's is glowing.

Feb 6, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #94,845 of 100,493

I've just completed a review of the Simgot EA1000s - by far one of the most impressive IEMs I've heard under $500. You're invited to read it here. :relaxed:

Great work, mate! Understandable and detailed review with assertiveness as usual. I’m surprised that they send you the EA1000 after your EM6L :dt880smile: It seems that your detailed approach to review resonates with many, both on the producers and consumers side. The growth of your review blog has been breathtaking to see. Hats off to you!

Still, I can’t stop poking fun at you again with this one: “you love a Harman-ish IEM :dt880smile:

Looking forward for your review of the quattro. Hopefully you can do that highly anticipated shoot out with trifecta.

Edit: if you can send me your EM6L, I can measure to see whether your unit is a lemon.

Pros:

Decent accessories

Cons:
Poor technical chops
Artificial timbre

Ouch. Is there any recommendable IEM from this brand? Their configs look so interesting.

Your honesty is so consistent and that’s why you’re one of the guys I respect the most on this site. You, @Leonarfd & @o0genesis0o are my go to guys. Thanks for your honesty on this one

You are too kind. Looking forward for more of your articles. They are so visually pleasing and understandable.

Now, domq422 vs @Leonarfd about Meteor, fight! :dt880smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back