The discovery thread!
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #94,456 of 100,493

<Snip shirking work delight>

my initial impression is that right off the bat I understand the love/hate reactions - Quattro has a very thick, bass-heavy sound with a huge amounts of note weight that is going to delight some, but not all of us.

I
The real division isn't thick note weight as I understood. @ToneDeafMonk and others' gripe was while the mids were delicious, the bass was spilling all over and particularly noticeable in bass based numbers. The way the bass bleeds seems to be the issue. Some of those critics are fans of Penon fat thickness, but were put off by how the bass played out here on a certain genres.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #94,457 of 100,493
I did not like the Divinus on this set. It came off bright compared to the default tips. I caught myself starting to get fatigue listening to various tracks very early, some as harmless as Drinking in L.A by Bran Van 3000. 'Clair de Lune, No.3 by Claude Debussy, Iao Tomita' I nearly had to rip the X out of my head. I tried 3 different sizes. Medium, Medium Large and Large. Medium and Medium large was the most tolerable but still fatiguing, Large was a disaster. I tried both my EF400 and V6. The tip did not work out for me unfortunately. While listening I was on Switch #2 and also tried Switch #3, Switch #2 being a tad bit better here. Didn't bother attempting Switch #1. I HOPE you experience something different but it did not work out for me.

I do not have the Sedna's unfortunately, was one of those that I meant to order but never got around to it.
Thanks for the info 🙏 fingers crossed the included tips fit my jumbo ears 😂 I have many types to play with if not.

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #94,458 of 100,493
Yeah it seems like it. Still a good price for a warmish (or so I've read) planar.
I misread your initial post. Thought it was the Artti R1

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #94,459 of 100,493
Talking of Artti, has the R2 made it into anybodies hands yet, don't recall seeing any impressons?

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #94,460 of 100,493
What IEMs are my fellow IEM nerds using right now?

I've settled to using my Supernova, S8 and Meteor as my current daily rotation of IEMs, this covers pretty much every genre.

For outside use, I'll probably choose either Meteor or Tea 2, it's not a good idea to bring my S8 or Supernova outside given their price.

Meteor is not cheap but it looks and feels like a throwaway cereal toy, so there's no danger on bringing this to a public place, someone stealing this is extremely unlikely.

Everything else I own is redundant which is around 21 sets, I'm might give some stuff away some stuff for space reasons.

Some other sets I own like the Softears Volume and Thieaudio Legacy 4 see next to zero use.

This is a lesson to anyone interested in the hobby: don't horde gear, a lot of stuff will eventually see no use.

1-4 sets is enough.
The current rotation is Thieaudio V16 HK Ltd, Monarch Mk3 and FatFreq Grand Maestro. These three keep me listening to different song lists every day. Also got ISN Neo 5, surprisingly good for me considering the price I paid (yes, someone offered me a good deal), keep listening to Neo 5 in the past two weeks, a very comfortable listening experience for me.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #94,461 of 100,493
Too bad the F1 PRO and the T10 both great choices into the Planar world but that price at $61 is choice!
I was thinking of the R1 actually lol

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #94,462 of 100,493
HEYO! Here are some impressions on the Dita Project M. This is a set I purchased from Dita's website when they announced that they're selling the remaining stock of their first run. I received it late last week and have put in about ~50hrs of burn-in and about ~10hrs of ear time.

First of all, I want to say that the Project M is quite the looker and pics won't do it justice. It looks great in person. The drivers (1DD+1BA) are encased in a tiny steel puck connected to a tube that transports music to your earholes. All of the internals appear to be floating in a transparent shell filled with resin. I think she looks precious.

1706844685922.png
1706844725337.png

For accessories, you get a nice pliable 2-wire cable, a tiny briefcase-like container, and a set of Final Type E eartips that... glow.in.the.dark! After cable and tip rolling through everything I have, I ended up back with the stock cable and tips for best sound and comfort.

The Project M has a neutral-bright tuning to my ears. The 9.8mm DD puts out some top quality bass that's tight and punchy. It doesn't hit as hard as I typically want, but it's still satisfying when a track calls for it. The vocals are a bit forward and intimate so the whole presentation kinda reminds me of the Elysian Diva when it's set to the medium bass tuning.

Where things differ is in the treble. The Project M has the most treble extension out of any of my IEMs. It's definitely airy and sparkly up there. I can actually hear high hats being hit and decay whereas on my other IEMs, I just hear the tck faintly in the background and not the tckshhhhh on the Project M. It's a brighter set for sure, but it really doesn't get sibilant for me. I think it's a truly resolving set that reveals details in tracks that are usually veiled or nonexistent when listening on my other IEMs. I've usually steered clear of bright-tuned IEMs, but now that I've discovered what good treble extension can sound like, I really want to demo the Elysian Annihilator since it's notorious for being a treble champ.

Oh yeah and here's one more pic. It's the best I could put together for a glow-in-the-dark shot using the phone camera.

..and yes, I intentionally positioned the IEMs to make a face.

1706845071125.png

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #94,463 of 100,493
Ya know what? I see alot of posts about shozys new stuff but they have had a tribrid EST that i have heard ZERO news about and its been out for a while.:xf_confused:
ShozyMagma-1-1000zzzzzzzzz.jpg

Shozy Magma​

2EST+1BA+1DD IN EAR EARPHONES​

• Unique Quad-driver Tri-brid configuration
  • no lie this tribrid is $499 right now

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #94,464 of 100,493
that kinera Verdandi and Dita Project M are gorgeous :beerchug:

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:51 PM Post #94,465 of 100,493
Thanks for the info 🙏 fingers crossed the included tips fit my jumbo ears 😂 I have many types to play with if not.

Hopefully at least one of your tips nails it! It will be a very obvious thing when one doesn't work out with this set, it will certainly make you well aware of that.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #94,466 of 100,493
The tips that come with the TSMR-X is basically similar to the Symbio W tips, very similar shape and overall design. If you're ok with the standard large symbios you might get a good idea what the included tips are like. A well matching tip for them is the Liquor tips from Penon. Their XL size is 5/8th inches or almost 16mm wide. Excellent for large ears. Just a tip for tips.

TSMR-X has a very good ergonomic universal shape to it so you shouldn't have any issues with fit on them. No weird nozzle angle or any type of protrusion from the shells to cause any hot spots in the ear for longer term use.
DSC01539.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #94,467 of 100,493
<snip lovely pics>

Where things differ is in the treble. The Project M has the most treble extension out of any of my IEMs. It's definitely airy and sparkly up there. I can actually hear high hats being hit and decay whereas on my other IEMs, I just hear the tck faintly in the background and not the tckshhhhh on the Project M. It's a brighter set for sure, but it really doesn't get sibilant for me.
That tckshhhhhh sounds like what I hear on my treble-rich Aful P8s. Great set at that price point.

Feb 2, 2024 at 12:45 AM Post #94,468 of 100,493
1706829061248.png
There is a reason why these cost more not just due to material but you can see the break down of the USB cable with the shielding it has. Worth a bit of extra for this level of quality imo.
I've had this type of USB cable before. The problem with these are that there is no ground wire so the shield is used as ground. And if i moved the cable too much when i was cleaning or something, i would get crackles and pops on my signal and it was worse with higher sample rates.

Feb 2, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #94,470 of 100,493
Talking of Artti, has the R2 made it into anybodies hands yet, don't recall seeing any impressons?
Yup did a review a very well tuned IEM very smooth , a warmer R1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back