The discovery thread!
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #94,231 of 100,479
Could you assess the quality of the built-in amp, using line in, and dac, using line out, in the final review?
I have tried line-in using my QP2R, it is very clean and precise. Compared to my QP2R, when I gave Line-in to the CMA18P(2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter, 4.4mm to 4.4mm line-in), the output was cleaner and bigger. It sounded more open and more dynamic as well. Details were getting better produced. I am actually waiting for another player to get delivered to check actual line-in characteristics(as QP2R I was double-amp'ing the signal once on the QP2R and then on the CMA18P). My other player has been seized by the customs in my country as the seller thankfully included the retail invoice in the package. It is a lost cause now :frowning2:

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #94,232 of 100,479
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #94,233 of 100,479
Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #94,234 of 100,479
New discovery, for me at least: Audeze LCD-X 2020 model.
I traded my 109 Pro and a Lyr 3 for it (I also had the shipping for my items covered to balance out the value).
I use Roon which has a built-in EQ profile for several Audeze models including this one.
Sounds heavenly with EDM, pop, hip-hop, metal and rock.
Monstrous, textured bass.
So you know I like that!
Aune S17 Pro synergizes perfectly with these phones.
How is the soundstage on it tho?

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #94,235 of 100,479
When you want Fiio KA17 full power but you are in mobile setup.

1706669073273.png

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #94,237 of 100,479
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #94,238 of 100,479
How is the soundstage on it tho?
It's pretty decent. At least, good enough for my needs.
Comparatively, my Focal Clear OG is considered to have a smaller stage and this is definitely larger.
The imaging is on point though and that absolutely helps the experience.
I had the 8XX but recently traded it.
The largest sound stage of a headphone I actually listen to on a regular basis is on the Arya v2.
Those are pretty darn massive.
That being said, I think stage is a bit overrated as far as importance with regards to earphones.
I think it really starts to matter and be noticeable with speaker set-ups.
My DAC [Gustard R26] is supposed to have a big stage, but I don't usually notice it unless I am listening to speakers.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #94,239 of 100,479
Wouldn’t speakers’ stage a function of their physical placement rather than electronics? I spread my 2 channel system apart, the stage gets larger. The focal utopia grande demo room has the whole wall as the “stage”.

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:50 PM Post #94,240 of 100,479
It's pretty decent. At least, good enough for my needs.
Comparatively, my Focal Clear OG is considered to have a smaller stage and this is definitely larger.
The imaging is on point though and that absolutely helps the experience.
I had the 8XX but recently traded it.
The largest sound stage of a headphone I actually listen to on a regular basis is on the Arya v2.
Those are pretty darn massive.
That being said, I think stage is a bit overrated as far as importance with regards to earphones.
My DAC [Gustard R26] is supposed to have a big stage, but I don't usually notice it unless I am listening to speakers.
Yeah I had the X but I thought it was a little claustrophobic, now I have the Arya stealth and the soundstage on my rig is huge... :)

Jan 30, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #94,241 of 100,479
Wouldn’t speakers’ stage a function of their physical placement rather than electronics? I spread my 2 channel system apart, the stage gets larger. The focal utopia grande demo room has the whole wall as the “stage”.
I am certainly no expert, but my understanding is that, yes, physical size and placement all make a difference, but so do many other factors including components used.
Everything affects the end result, I guess.
But if you look up reviews about the R26 nearly every one of them raves about its staging.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #94,242 of 100,479
yup,
number of speaker used, placements, and wall echo issue.

recently you can "tune" things via adjusting the speaker output with newer home theater DAC/AMP
There is home theatre DAC/AMP who can do room sweep via additional mic to adjust their speaker output for audio sweetspot.
---

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #94,243 of 100,479
Currently listening to Ryuichi Sakamoto - "Plastic Bamboo" from Thousand Knives

1706675032588.png

Local DSD files > HQPlayer [PCM, poly-sinc-gauss-long, LNS15] > Roon > Gustard R26 > Aune S17 Pro > Audeze LCD-X 2020

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #94,244 of 100,479

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #94,245 of 100,479
The package of my Penon Quattro was in the mailbox yesterday morning, and I listened to them some at work yesterday, connected as:
Win10 PC -> Cayin RU6 R-2R DAC (NOS) [4.4mm TRRRS] -> [2x XLR] S.M.S.L. sAp-9 Amp [2.5mm TRRS] -> Quattro
Even without any burn-in, I really like the full, thumpy sound of the Quattro.
However, one thing I noticed this morning, is that the blue-ring filter is missing from the left earphone. :slight_frown:
(It wasn't in the little plastic bag that the earphone was shipped in, and it's not in my audio carry case. I didn't notice whether it was in the earphone when I first started using them yesterday morning. From looking through a loupe at the right earphone, the filter appears to be press-fit, rather than glued in - and I don't see any glue residue on the left earphone.)
And exactly the reason I try to limit my direct purchases to under a few hundred. Do let us know how they respond!
The disease has begun to spread.
FAKE- Just a box full of parts, old crap and a bunch of cables, all to make a point, a funny photo, nothing more. AI could do better, maybe, haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back