The discovery thread!
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #91,726 of 103,533
Yeah, @Redcarmoose and @Leonarfd take amazing product shots.

Desktop amp for IEM to increase sound quality? People at ASR are going to tear you a new one :dt880smile:

I’m curious about FiiO R7. My local hifi store puts two of them out for customer to audition gears nowadays, replacing the NAIM Atom.

Back button focus literally changed the way I approach event photography. So much better to aim and wait for the moment rather than having to fiddle with the AF at the same time.

Thank-you! :)
Well, I think if your into this IEM thing, then your just trying to express what they look like, you try and make them look real, as real as they are? So whatever comes of that just is, at least I try and make them look as they are, so simply people get an idea as to what the aesthetics are? As you know just how IEMs are constructed is a big part of the art form. Not obviously as important as the sound, except fit and construction somehow also contribute to the user experience as a whole.

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #91,727 of 103,533
Spent Christmas night with this. Amazing tuning for a DD. FAudio Dark Sky. A copper cable just toned down the upper mids shines.
Courtesy: a friend.
WhatsApp Image 2023-12-26 at 11.44.49_0c3f61a2.jpg

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #91,728 of 103,533
I got my christmas gift last night lol, the Spirit Torino is finally here. Well, this is a gift that i gifted myself lol. I had a small audition a few weeks ago and at that time only asked my dear friend Mr @Sajid Amit to sell it to me whenever he plans to. So exchanged my Meze 109 Pro for the same as i was not able to get any time with the headphones at all. And I am a happy man lol.

Torino.jpg

Torino 2.jpg

But my happiness did not last long :frowning2: because Sajid bhai has brought the CA Super Moon as well. Man this IEM was wonderful, took me about 2 hours to forget what I had listened to lol. Tight, Precise, Accurate sound, with a little finicky fit but does the job for me. Will start saving up and get this beauty sometime next year <3
Super Moon 1.jpg

Super Moon 2.jpg

Dec 26, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #91,729 of 103,533
is a technical Harmanish IEM which costs $39.99 (cheaper during sales), very resolving for the price, but may be a bit shouty/bright in the upper mids
Even for $3 I don't know why you'd want a shouty iem.

I agree on its technical capabilities but would only recommend if you prefer listening to music from another room and don't mind shrill spikes in your ears.

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #91,730 of 103,533
I spent two days flipping between the EA1000 and the OD200. I went from just getting the EA1000 to just getting the OD200 to getting both. I had $200 in Amazon credit thanks to my kids and my wife, and I asked her if I could use the CC to get both. She said I should just use the credit, and get one. So after a bit of review video watching and some eenie meenie miney moe, I settled on the OD200, since I already have the EW200, and though I love that IEM, I wanted to try the OD200, and I might still end up getting the EA1000 if I don't end up buying the Quattro? Hope I made the right choice?

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #91,731 of 103,533
I spent two days flipping between the EA1000 and the OD200. I went from just getting the EA1000 to just getting the OD200 to getting both. I had $200 in Amazon credit thanks to my kids and my wife, and I asked her if I could use the CC to get both. She said I should just use the credit, and get one. So after a bit of review video watching and some eenie meenie miney moe, I settled on the OD200, since I already have the EW200, and though I love that IEM, I wanted to try the OD200, and I might still end up getting the EA1000 if I don't end up buying the Quattro? Hope I made the right choice?
Man I also ended up with both lol

Dec 26, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #91,732 of 103,533
Even for $3 I don't know why you'd want a shouty iem.

I agree on its technical capabilities but would only recommend if you prefer listening to music from another room and don't mind shrill spikes in your ears.

Some consumers are trebleheads, some have hearing loss (either from age or occupation/leisure induced), so what is bright to someone, may be very sedate for someone else.

No one size fits all approach, this hobby is very subjective. Not to mention different volume played at (Fletcher munson curve), different ear anatomy (affects pinna gain), different sources, different eartips, all influence treble perception.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #91,733 of 103,533
I think that most of the smaller DAPs, if they don't have Android installed, are running a compact version of embedded Linux.
As far as I can see on the manufacturer's website, it uses the Hiby OS. I don't know why I thought it was using another OS. Honestly, I'm used to HiBy OS and I don't think it's bad at all. I'm very classic and basic in the use of DAPS and I still prefer to use an SD with my music than any streaming or bluetooth option. Although I recognise that an option like Tidal is a must for someone like me who likes to explore new and unknown electronic music.

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #91,735 of 103,533
Would you still choose these if you can get any IEM (for free) at that price?

And...how much do they cost anyway?

Can you write a little bit more about why? You tickled my thoughts now :)

Cheers!
I have some other IEMs around this price point bro. My current three in possession are the Softears Twilight(930$), Oriveti OH700VB(700$), and Spirit Torino Twin Pulse(850$).

About SuperMoon it is priced at around 1100$, the sound was very natural in terms of tone and timbre, and it has tight, precise bass notes, The vocals were a bit recessed but were clear and smooth, and the treble was really good details while being easy on the ears(inoffensive). It's not about free or anything, but its sound is something that I actually loved and would gladly purchase one when I have saved enough for it. Its tuning perfectly complemented the Twilight and became an instant favourite for me.

Dec 26, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #91,736 of 103,533
Tempotec V3 is just V6 guts with Hiby OS doing all the leg work and Tidal/Qubuz streaming. The Tidal streaming music app is kind of annoying on these as it doesn't stay persistently logged in and you have to use a code to constantly link it with your account. I would much rather have the V3 over the cheaper Hiby R3 variants. As for sound quality, just look to the V6 for reference, it's excellent. $140 USD for early bird special is a nice deal.

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #91,737 of 103,533
Wall of text incoming !

For first: enjoy your Holidays whatever way YOU like ! For me as an atheist, Christmas does not have any religious part but I understand if it has for you.

My IEM journey started 2022 July when my DrBeats Monster IEM (bought in China 2016 May) started to behave no-so-well (mean: worked, but I felt just a bit it sounded off. After 6 years).

Sure I started with some KZ modells (just to climb from the bottom up); KZ ZS10 Pro (not the X) was quite good (but sold anyhow).
I was amazed by planar IEM's hype so bought Tangzu Zetian Wu OG which was my main for a year; maybe I should test it again after ~2 month of ignoring it.

I own and use
- the only non-IEM one: Audio Technica ATH-M50x (just for films / series)
- the Rapto Hook X (green) with Sping CP145 (most expensive one; probably will sell it if I can get a good price for it)
- Moondrop Aria2 (resting now but will test again; maybe selling it)
- NiceHCK F1 Pro (Tangzu Sancai Wide bore; Dark Ambient sounds awesome on it)
- 7Hz Zero2 (TRN T Ear-Tips; trying; probably will leave)
- Simgot EW200 (resting; probably will leave)
- TruthEar Hola (resting; probably will leave)
- KZ PR2 1st gen (on my KZ AZ09 Pro ; just for walking and doing cooking / chores)
- KZ ZNA (spare for KZ AZ09 Pro)
- aaaand my unquestionable main: Hidizs MP145 balanced with Spinftit CP155. This is a keeper for sure !

I had and sold all 3 versions of KZ PR1, 2nd gen PR2 and PR3; later 2 have too much treble for me (I do not count myself treble sensitive).
Had and sold a lot other KZ IEMs (EDX Pro x4 was present 1 year ago for not-audiophile nephews; Krila, D-fi).
Had the OG Moondrop Aria (black one); got a good price for it so sold.
Had the OG 7Hz Zero: this wasn't for me. QKZ HBB: same story.
Gifted this Christmas 7Hz Legato (too much bass); TRN Rosefinch (worst sound for me or all IEMs I tried); TRN Conch (OK one); KZ EDX lite.

DAP I do not use (as I like to use USB player Pro on my phone and foobar2000 on my PC and laptop).

However, I have some DACs.
- first and foremost the Qudelix 5k, the main one when not sitting at my desk
- whooshi (bought from Kickstarter in 2019; not TOTL but quite good) (for listening in bed)
- the already metioned KZ AZ09 Pro (good enough for what I use it for)
- Shanling UA1s and UA1 Pro (good but not exceptional ones; they will leave)
- apple dongle (absolute good enough for my laptop to watch films / series)
- 3 different kind of splitter kind DACs (1 usb-c male, 1 usb-c female for power, 1 3.5mm for sound): all are OK, all are for travel-like situation (most probably I will keep only one)
- Hidizs S9 Pro (NOT the plus 'Martha'): it is an OK one, but eats a lot of power (measured with a "TC66C" device) (has to go)
- iBasso DC04 Pro (awesome with about all my planars, definately a keeper)
- some CX31993 based noname DACs (about 3.5USD a piece) to put in a grinch bag :wink:
- and an iBasso DC03 Pro is still travelling (ordered earlier than the DC04 pro ...)

For cables, honestly, I do not believe I will hear the difference so I go for looks and strands; I have 2x 2.5mm and 2x 3.5mm OPENHEART 8 Core Silver Plated Copper ones (about 19USD a piece). I have some 2.5mm female -> 4.4mm male changer (for iBasso DC04 Pro). Sure I ordered a TRN T2 Pro16 Core (which I will surely gift it) and a Kinera Ace Modular one (still travelling; probably will be gifted away). I like the look of Kinera Leyding but still hesitant to pay 60 USD for a cable. Most probably I will buy one full copper (mean: no siler plating) cable in the future.

Some protective boxes (a 50gramm all-metal tea box which I padded with a 2mm decor rubber foam); a spare Tangzu Zetian Wu case and some more.

I spend about 2400 USD on audiophile-related stuff in ~16 month; yep, I could possibly have much more expensive stuff, but
- I really feel I have to climb the ladder to know what I like and what is kind of endgame for me as I will not hear / enjoy the difference of twice (or more) difference in price)
- a real lot of stuff was / will be gifted away ( "grinch bag" is the proper term, thx for that one fellow member I stole from).

I do not have any plans (except not buying any new DAC at all and restricting myself heavily on buying any IEM).

Guys, sorry not to provide pictures but I do not have any photo skills and own only a mobile phone; sure I can make some on request.

I am open to any questions, but:
- I am 55 years old (no hearing loss; surely hear up to 13k Hz)
- no study in musis; not playing any instrument
- no equipment to measure

I am based in Budapest, Hungary; if you happen to be in this city feel free to ping me. If you bring your own tips, you can try any of my stuff.

'nuff said.
Nice

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #91,738 of 103,533
What more could we audiophiles wish for as a New Year's gift? Effect Audio is set to unveil some exciting surprises in the upcoming year, and I've had the privilege of testing a couple of prototype cables. Courtesy, dear @JordonEA.

Let's call these cables 'blue' and 'purple' for now. The 'blue' cable, in particular, exhibits a premium-quality sound. It enhances the impact and texture of the bass, contributes to an overall clarity with a bit of refinement in the sound, and maintains transparency without altering the original signature. There's also subtle treble taming, and the mids carry a sweeter tone. The enhancement in clarity on the 'blue' cable is truly commendable. Even if you are already using a good-quality cable, you can very easily feel the difference (polishing) in sound, which is big and spacious. It's an easy recommendation, for sure.

On the other hand, the 'purple' cable holds its own character, particularly in the sub-bass region and vocals. In contrast to the refining nature of the 'blue,' the 'purple' injects a bit of fun and zest into the overall sound, again maintaining transparency. Blue is definitely the better of the two.

Both of these cables possess impressive durability, and I appreciate their colors, which are different from the typical appearance of an IEM cable. The finished product must look quite beautiful. I'm really eager for their release and look forward to eventually owning them once they are officially released. I can confidently assure you that these cables are easy winners, particularly in terms of pure sonic performance.

ea_b.jpg

ea_p.jpg

Dec 26, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #91,739 of 103,533
Though i am all praises for the expensive EA cables i wish they were not as stiff as they are.

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #91,740 of 103,533
My wish was granted as the DTE900 arrived on the 23rd.

Very, very impressed so far.

1226230957b.jpg

Crazy grip and texture on the bass, lush, rich mids and crystalline, shimmery treble.
Me likey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back