The discovery thread!
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #91,382 of 106,173
Out of my league, and not because I can't save for them, but because there is too much else competing in my budget.
If I'm going to save up that much to buy something I'm getting another camera lens, not a headphone/earphone

Dec 19, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #91,383 of 106,173
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #91,384 of 106,173
With the temptations in this hobby I am trying to be smarter, and I emphasize "trying". I feel like my smartest purchases this year were the Focal Bathys (great sound and convenience) and the Chord Mojo 2. In the iem world, I felt like the Sonus, 41T, and Quintet were smart buys. And I want to be smarter as I move along meaning less is more. My next purchase will likely be the Woo Mini, which is a real tube sound versus some of the hybrid options. The "Holy Grail" of iems is likely a futile mission and I don't want to be indulgent to the point I abuse other things in my life. But I would like to find one more "go to most of the time" iem.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #91,385 of 106,173
Boys.

I have reached audio nirvana.

Edit-1.jpgEdit-2.jpg

My very very very good and trusting buddy sent out his LE STORMs for me to demo and picture.

Well, these have ruined me. Nothing will ever sound the same. I am absolutely blown away.
I am 100% certain that ignorance is bliss with this one.
I have been intrigued by these since HBB made his 1st video about them.
But I do value both my marriage and house so will have to hope to befriend a wealthy audiophile buddy living nearby.
LOL... Yeah right.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #91,386 of 106,173
IMG_6016.jpeg

My AOSHIDA E20 thoughts -

I was planning to do a full review of these, but I straight up do not want to anymore. I did comparisons using my test track playlist with these, Red Zero and QuietSea. Apple dongle, v50, Schiit stack and Q5K. Every time I put the E20 on after using the other two sets, I could FEEL my body tense up.

- Overpowering yet artificial bass, smudging up the entire spectrum.

- So airy I think I may need to see an ENT now.

- Probably the most inelegant treble I have ever heard. Cymbal crashes are actually painful.

- very cheap build. The front metal is nice, but the shell looks and feels like a toy. I’m not sure the material they use on the shell and nozzle but tips don’t stay put. They slide off as they are in ear, and you can feel it. Super uncomfortable, have never had an IEM do that before.

If I had to do my best analogy for the type of experience you should expect with each of these sets, this is what each reminded me of.

Red Zero - a really good speaker system with nice subwoofers, and warm bass with inoffensive treble.

QuietSea - the closest IEM I have heard to the Sennheiser HD600 series. Neutral, sounds lovely, you can listen to it all day and it sounds right. These priced at $50 dollars blows my freakin mind.

E20 - Sony or Beats, “I have added bass so now it is audiophile right?”

Really abysmal. Maybe I would give it another shot if I had a burn-in rig or something (any DIY tips?) but as it stands, I do not want to listen to these again. I purchased them with my own money and I will be returning them.

Test tracks playlist on Qobuz.
IMG_6017.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #91,387 of 106,173
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #91,388 of 106,173
Do you have scaffoldings holding it up? :ksc75smile:
(Hidizs MP145 was mentioned).

LOL, sure ! 🤣 I have a lot other IEMs so I can compare sizes :wink: .

I use it with an 8 core Openheart cable and Spinfit 155 tips; comfortable for me.

Sorry for the bad picture !

IMG_20231219_180138.jpg

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #91,390 of 106,173
The "Holy Grail" of iems is likely a futile mission and I don't want to be indulgent to the point I abuse other things in my life. But I would like to find one more "go to most of the time" iem.
What's the current go to most of the time IEM?

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #91,391 of 106,173
IMG_6016.jpeg

My AOSHIDA E20 thoughts -

I was planning to do a full review of these, but I straight up do not want to anymore. I did comparisons using my test track playlist with these, Red Zero and QuietSea. Apple dongle, v50, Schiit stack and Q5K. Every time I put the E20 on after using the other two sets, I could FEEL my body tense up.

- Overpowering yet artificial bass, smudging up the entire spectrum.

- So airy I think I may need to see an ENT now.

- Probably the most inelegant treble I have ever heard. Cymbal crashes are actually painful.

- very cheap build. The front metal is nice, but the shell looks and feels like a toy. I’m not sure the material they use on the shell and nozzle but tips don’t stay put. They slide off as they are in ear, and you can feel it. Super uncomfortable, have never had an IEM do that before.

If I had to do my best analogy for the type of experience you should expect with each of these sets, this is what each reminded me of.

Red Zero - a really good speaker system with nice subwoofers, and warm bass with inoffensive treble.

QuietSea - the closest IEM I have heard to the Sennheiser HD600 series. Neutral, sounds lovely, you can listen to it all day and it sounds right. These priced at $50 dollars blows my freakin mind.

E20 - Sony or Beats, “I have added bass so now it is audiophile right?”

Really abysmal. Maybe I would give it another shot if I had a burn-in rig or something (any DIY tips?) but as it stands, I do not want to listen to these again. I purchased them with my own money and I will be returning them.

Test tracks playlist on Qobuz.
IMG_6017.jpeg
I'll second your opinion of the Quiet Sea it's a super iem especially at the price level it's being sold at.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #91,392 of 106,173
Hi has anyone read reviews about the intriguing dap called Variations V3 by TempoTec?
There are no reviews yet as it is newly released. I’m looking for a DAP of this level so have tried to find out all I can.

Tempotec say it sounds like the (more expensive) V6, so neutral with slightly boosted mids. They have been curiously quiet about the processing hardware, but the audio infrastructure looks great for the introductory price.

Battery should be good, and the build should be solid. A lot of V6 owners talk of QC issues, especially faulty ports. The combination of QC and low information about features means I’ll skip this one, but there is a very good chance I’ll regret it.

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #91,393 of 106,173
I'll second your opinion of the Quiet Sea it's a super iem especially at the price level it's being sold at.
I had to stop myself from gushing about QuietSea in this post, cause I think it’s going to be the first set I write a full review about.

An interesting thing I noticed last night was how much more expensive it was on the Rose Technics site… it’s more than double the price. I feel like I read somewhere RT were raising prices on other IEMs for “production costs”. Can’t find it now though.

IMG_6018.jpeg

Hifigo -
IMG_6019.jpeg

(Hidizs MP145 was mentioned).

LOL, sure ! 🤣 I have a lot other IEMs so I can compare sizes :wink: .

I use it with an 8 core Openheart cable and Spinfit 155 tips; comfortable for me.

Sorry for the bad picture !

Mine are in and pumping out Gojira this AM!

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #91,394 of 106,173
I hope you can feel my envy from here. Gorgeous set my god.

How much is the Storm? I have heard them mentioned.

$5200 LOL

If I'm going to save up that much to buy something I'm getting another camera lens, not a headphone/earphone

I am 100% certain that ignorance is bliss with this one.
I have been intrigued by these since HBB made his 1st video about them.
But I do value both my marriage and house so will have to hope to befriend a wealthy audiophile buddy living nearby.
LOL... Yeah right.
The price is absolutely absurd, there's no other way to say it. However, I've always said that the STORM is an exercise in both excess and audio engineering, it's the most complete IEM I've been lucky enough to hear. It combines so many amazing characteristics that I have heard in multiple TOTL level IEMs, smashes them all together into one set, and blows your mind. The bass listening experience on this set is probably one of the coolest things I've been able to enjoy in this hobby so far. I'm very fortunate to have a buddy that can swing these and even more fortunate to have him trust me so much with such an expensive IEM.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #91,395 of 106,173
I had to stop myself from gushing about QuietSea in this post, cause I think it’s going to be the first set I write a full review about.

An interesting thing I noticed last night was how much more expensive it was on the Rose Technics site… it’s more than double the price. I feel like I read somewhere RT were raising prices on other IEMs for “production costs”. Can’t find it now though.

IMG_6018.jpeg

Hifigo -
IMG_6019.jpeg

Mine are in and pumping out Gojira this AM!
It's still good value at that inflated price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back