The discovery thread!
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #90,812 of 103,539
I would like to add another disclaimer for myself as I believe that should clear things up for those who might have doubts about my credibility.

In my signature, among the IEMs, the Butastur, Lycane, Miroak-II, Ninlapat II are all bought with my own money. The flagship of 634EARS, LOAK2CL, is also bought with my own money, and is currently under preparation.
All the earbuds are bought with my own money, even those that I reviewed, the TGXear earbuds.
All the sources except the DS1 are bought with my own money.

Some I bought at full price, some I bought for a slight reviewer's discount (at most 30%), some I bought used from others, but nevertheless, I bought them.

I am not a big-shot reviewer who gets hoards of items for free. If you check out my headphonesty profile, you will see some are review samples and a few bought iems as well. In fact, my first two reviews were items that I bought with my own money. You can see the disclaimers in all the reviews. From 2015 to 2020 I scoured through the pages here and bought and sold gears to understand my preferences. I started writing in 2020 when I felt confident enough to put my understanding into words. My first review tour review was QOA Mojito. The first review sample I bought at a reviewer's discount was Unique Melody 3DT in 2021. My first free review sample was Tanchjim Ola, which I received in 2022. Until then all my reviews were either of my own purchased gears or of review tour items - which were not mine to keep.

I do not review in favor of the brands. I review for myself, and because I want to share the joy I feel when I listen to a gear with others. I am completely honest in everything I write.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #90,813 of 103,539
Is there any way in this forum to run a poll of what people actually think are the best iem releases this year?

By that, I mean a single clickable poll (Like you can on facebook) and not endless posts of who thinks what is good?

I'm interested to see what floats to the surface once the hype cycle has died down. Definitely looks like Simgot have had two solid hits, but what about the rest?

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #90,814 of 103,539
People like me. All the Beyers in my collection are not a random thing ahah
Beyer 880T
"When you are too young to enjoy the treble peak"

PD. I had one, and 880t black 250ohm "special edition". I liked them, but I always prefered deteachable cables.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #90,815 of 103,539
Is there any way in this forum to run a poll of what people actually think are the best iem releases this year?

By that, I mean a single clickable poll (Like you can on facebook) and not endless posts of who thinks what is good?

I'm interested to see what floats to the surface once the hype cycle has died down. Definitely looks like Simgot have had two solid hits, but what about the rest?
I saw some recent poles and Simgot was quite popular this year.

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #90,816 of 103,539
SeeAudio is trying to join the overpriced Chi-fi market?

Dec 7, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #90,817 of 103,539
Claud you can probably hear more than 90% of the music then, its the bass and mids it all at :beerchug:
Indeed, a while back I was surprised to find out just how little actual sonic information is present above the 5kHz Claud mentioned. It's mostly 'just' harmonics from that point.

Screenshot_20231207-175719.png

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #90,818 of 103,539

You can create a poll, but only when you create a new thread. I don't think you can add a poll to an existing thread like this one.

Dec 7, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #90,819 of 103,539
Never try the pro version.

But the TRI i3 OG for the lovers of dark sound... is really pleasant to listen.

I hope KBEAR/Tri find the way to make nice iems again.

DIAMOND, BELIEVE, TRI I3 (or the starlight, wich is a rebranded 07 with more treble) are really nice sets.

Yeah it looks like an HYPE, but more relaxed, nope?

Im curious about THIEAUDIO or KIWI EARS... Im thinking about the QUINTER or the HYPE (the one that cost around 300)

What would you recommend, folks?
+1 for the Believe. It's the best single DD in my collection.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #90,820 of 103,539
SeeAudio is trying to join the overpriced Chi-fi market?

The Hakuyas are what I imagine Daft Punk listening to underneath their helmets.

I was curious on the bass quality with that driver config at that price point, but it sounds like the bass isn't great. I agree with what he said about the Diva's BA bass. It's the most DD-like of any BA bass I've heard.

I'm kind of interested in the new Vortex cables though. The one that comes with the Hakuya appears to just be 2pin, but the (pricey) models that Musicteck sells are all terminated with Effect Audio Conx connectors.

1701970029948.png

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #90,821 of 103,539
Claud you can probably hear more than 90% of the music then, its the bass and mids it all at :beerchug:
That is why I still enjoy this hobby.

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #90,822 of 103,539
forteza fr :thinking:

Attachments

• photo_2023-12-07_22-07-56.jpg
    photo_2023-12-07_22-07-56.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 0
Dec 7, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #90,823 of 103,539
For those who're interested in DD under 1k, I made a video comparing FAudio Spring with Timsok TS-316. Feel free to check it out!

Will keep making more audition videos. Subscribe!

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #90,824 of 103,539
Seems like Oriveti is trying to make a big comeback by giving out free / tour units to a lot of head-fiers and YouTubers recently, and it's pissing off a few members here because of the excitement and people not disclosing if they got their IEMs for free? :smile:

If it makes people that mad or worked up about it, here's a protip: any time you see the same model or brand being spammed day after day in here, it's most likely a free set or "tour" unit being passed around like a cheap hooker in order to build hype and generate sales.

This thread and the Watercooler (for the ballers) get the most eyes and interaction on head-fi, so obviously people will use these threads to advertise, market, and share their opinions about their new shiny, FotM IEMs and products. If you have a problem with the spam, then simply don't read these threads or block users you think are shilling and/or spamming. Too much whining, attacks, animosity, and accusations going on the past month.
To be clear, I'm not mad or worked up about things when they are vague. Just a little sad, is all. I like to read things that I can trust, and often I read things that are vague anyway since I'm always curious, but if it's vague, then I don't know... maybe it's accurate? maybe not? That's certainly not a reason to block someone or ignore an entire thread, I'm not upset, just bummed out a bit by not being able to know how to weigh it. Hopefully you can understand this feeling of uncertainty mixed with a bit of sadness.

Dec 7, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #90,825 of 103,539

Users who are viewing this thread

Back