The discovery thread!
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #90,091 of 103,811
Edit:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #90,092 of 103,811
I didn't settle down for long on anything in regular rotation in the last 4-5 years, but previously, my longest running continuous use IEM's would be UE TF10 (for 3 years), Sennheiser CX 300 II (for 4 years), Soundmagic E80 (8 years on and off), and the Sennheiser IE800 (2 years).
I daily used the Sennheiser CX 300 II a lot when I was in college for my Bachelor's. It was such a good little IEM for walking to and from school, between classes, and chilling on campus. Thanks for the memory.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #90,093 of 103,811
Has anyone ever owned an SSR Spaceship by Moondrop? If so, what was (is) your experience with it?
I have both the SSR and SSP. The SSR is okay, not terrible but maybe a bit outdated by this point. It's also a good pick for treble-heads. However, I do find that the SSP holds up quite a bit better. I still bring it out from time to time and I even purchased a second unit for posterity when and if the first one gives out.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #90,094 of 103,811
I have both the SSR and SSP. The SSR is okay, not terrible but maybe a bit outdated by this point. It's also a good pick for treble-heads. However, I do find that the SSP holds up quite a bit better. I still bring it out from time to time and I even purchased a second unit for posterity when and if the first one gives out.
Is the SSP still worth it in this age of competitive budget sets?

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #90,095 of 103,811
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:40 AM Post #90,096 of 103,811
I came in lukewarm in having to review this, never liked their S12. But this has something else, and its addictive. Price is biggest downside if its 300$ +

I didn't test out the S12 regular but I did a review on S12 Pro. To think that this set is one of the pricey planar sets that I've tested aside from Audeze iSine10 and iSine20 which I find them tuned oddly.
I feel there is nothing wrong with the S12Pro, yet the Kiwi ears Melody hands down beats it at it’s own game. Way bigger stage and more forward vocals, wider bass and more involving over-all? IMO

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #90,097 of 103,811
I feel there is nothing wrong with the S12Pro, yet the Kiwi ears Melody hands down beats it at it’s own game. Way bigger stage and more forward vocals, wider bass and more involving over-all? IMO
Between melody and S12 Pro, Melody's tuning is akin to a DD or subwoofer BA -like sound while S12 Pro is more of a typical planar sound. Still, Ill take the Melody, S12 Pro and Kefine over iSines. :D

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #90,098 of 103,811

For you, are there any easily catchable improvements with the Kiwi Ears Melody compared to Tangzu Wu Zetian ? Concerning mid high /high details retrieval and sound stage characteristics ?
For a while now, I enjoy like many listeners (it got even a gold medal in their price segment for VGP2024 JP press ranking), the rather solid Quintet, so now I keep an eye and ear on any Kiwi Ears new IEM... as there is still some room for improvement with planar tech..

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #90,099 of 103,811
I still don't hear any style of BA anything with the Melody? Especially how it does middle toned drums......perfect, and no slapping sound like BA may do?
Between melody and S12 Pro, Melody's tuning is akin to a DD or subwoofer BA -like sound while S12 Pro is more a typical planar sound. Still, Ill take the Melody, S12 Pro and Kefine over iSines. :D

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #90,100 of 103,811
I still don't hear any style of BA anything with the Melody? Especially how it does middle toned drums......perfect, and no slapping sound like BA may do?
Sub woofer BA, The vented BAs that you usually encounter on Sonion ones. Even the new generation ones from Bellsing has it.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #90,101 of 103,811
For you, are there any easily catchable improvements with the Kiwi Ears Melody compared to Tangzu Wu Zetian ? Concerning mid high /high details retrieval and sound stage characteristics ?
For a while now, I enjoy like many listeners (it got even a gold medal in VGP2024 JP press ranking), the rather solid Quintet, so now I keep an eye and ear on any Kiwi Ears new IEM... as there is still some room for improvement with planar tech..
I will compare the two for you today. From memory the tune is very different, like for one I think the Melody is going to have more bass, then the vocals are going to be presented forward in placement and frequency with the Melody personality. Stage is something I don't remember.......lets see!

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #90,102 of 103,811
Sub woofer BA, The vented BAs that you usually encounter on Sonion ones. Even the new generation ones from Bellsing has it.
No, I don't hear the Melody anything like that? Sorry? It's Planar so a whole different deal. IMO. Not trying to argue. :wink::)

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #90,103 of 103,811
No, I don't hear the Melody anything like that? Sorry? It's Planar so a whole different deal. IMO. Not trying to argue. :wink::)
Well in my ears, it is. The bass of Melody makes it a truly standout among its planar IEM peers. We have different takes on how we perceived them. I'm into healthy discussion after all, no worries.

That's what I take on my review on Kiwi Ears Melody, The Unlike Planar Set.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #90,104 of 103,811
Well in my ears, it is. The bass of Melody makes it a truly standout among its planar IEM peers. We have different takes on how we perceived them. I'm into healthy discussion after all, no worries.

That's what I take on my review on Kiwi Ears Melody, The Unlike Planar Set.
Well, we can agree that it is very different, especially compared to the 1st generation of Planar IEMs. I will read your review. Now I see what you mean, that the amount is like a BA bass......hmmmm. Still to me the Melody is like a super race car in the bass department. A hyped-up full performance display which entails both speed, amount and still holding those Planar traits. Then the stage............who ever thought such a stage could be so big..........I actually didn't realize it until I did side-by-sides. Then the midrange presence pushed up yet only on the boarder of intense, yet still maybe they could be taken by some to be exactly intense? Then the weight, perfect at 5 grams each, and the size and how they feel in the ear.........Kiwi ears is tearing it up as of recent!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #90,105 of 103,811
Happy hump day! New CFA received, by $1, a very promising sub kilobuck hybrid that blasts with the thump of CFA! Very impressed!
20231129_170430.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back