The discovery thread!
Oct 26, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #87,706 of 106,670
The idea that you can't got to the manufacturer directly for a warranty issue is completely wrong, at least in the US. For virtually every vendor I know of you have to deal with the manufacturer directly for any manufacturer warranty claims. For example, here's Sam's Club/Walmart's policy (https://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2576/~/how-do-i-make-a-warranty-claim?#:~:text=To make a claim against,to file a warranty claim.), which clearly states "To make a claim against Manufacturer's Warranty, contact the Manufacturer....". Sometimes, the reseller (in this case APOS) will help you, but either way, you can go directly to the manufacturer.
In case you didn't look, I live in the EU, not 'murica. I barely know any laws from the US as they don't matter to me in my daily life. I can only comment on what is the proces is here and I doubt you know any laws from NL. Like I said I don't know everything about warranty processes but in case you're interested, I'll give a simple explanation how it works in NL.

Over here you have the store warranty (or return window), min. 14 days, and the manufacturer warranty, min. 1 year, but this manufacturer warranty is dependent on the type of product. The store warranty is shorter (normally 30 days but some do offer up to 6 months) that the manufacturer warranty (normally 2 to 3 years) and as long as you're within the store's warranty period, you have to go through the store. After that period you can go with either the store or manufacturer but they can still tell you to go through the store or visa versa.

OP states it broke after only a week which would in my case mean he/she has to go through the store for it. No misinformation there, just a different viewpoint due to processes and rules as I'm in a different country. Even though some believe it to be (not you, others I've met elsewhere), the US isn't the whole world y'know.

That said, the situation here is a bit unique, because apparently APOS offers a 1year warranty in combination with the manufacturer's warranty (https://help.apos.audio/en-US/do-products-purchased-on-apos-audio-have-a-warranty-29454). So if the OP is making an APOS warranty claim, he should go through APOS but if he is making a manufacturer's warranty claim, he can and should contact Moondrop.
The Apos transferable warranty is as it states, it allows the manufacturers warranty to be transferred if one sells it to a third party within a year of purchase. The terms of the warranty are still that of the manufacturers, in this case Moondrop. But it does seem to restrict the first year warranty of going through Apos.

Then you say that damage caused by cable swapping is never covered. Where does it say this in the APOS warranty or the Moondrop warranty? I couldn't find cable swapping as a warranty exclusion on either website. In fact, the "Warranty Terms" link on the Moondrop website is broken and doesn't go anywhere. How could OP accept the warranty terms if he cannot access them? I also did not see cable swapping as an exclusion on 64 audio or Fir audio's warranty terms.
You're right, I probably should have said most. I don't deal with the kilo buck segment so I don't know their terms. When ones pays that much I would expect a better warranty, it's not a smal price to pay and better services such as improved warranty should be part of the price. This is probably also heavily influenced by the country the're based in, US and Canada vs China.

For some reason the "warranty terms" links are indeed broken on the Moondrop site which is curious. That said, warranty terms are almost always included in the box, I believe they have to be by law in a lot of places. So OP should have one. And like I stated the moment you buy anything, you've accepted their terms, whether you've read them or not doesn't matter. Be honest, nobody reads the TOS, warranty or manual until they need it. No need to check a box either as the sales contract is the binding contract in this case. (https://apos.audio/pages/terms-of-service)

But in case of Moondrop's terms of warranty. Here you go, the warranty terms as included in the box of the Kato (bought in late 2022).
20231026_215144.jpg

20231026_215119.jpg

I think this fairly clearly states that damage this unit has and the way it was caused makes it fall outside of the scope of the warranty.
And no, US laws don't matter in this case as Moondrop is a China based company and therefore doesn't have to follow US law for this.
But yes, I do agree this is a very restrictive warranty. Especially for a company that has such a good reputation. This might even be worse than KZ's :sweat:.

You then say that it's likely user error/negligence that caused the damage. This is blatant speculation and completely unhelpful. If sellers/manufacturers assumed this in every instance, every warranty claim would be denied.
Thanks capt' obvious, didn't think I'd have to spell it out for you. That's why I use "likely" and "in my opinion", I don't have all the info as very little info is provided. Unless you're there when it happend or have a verified video or timeline, nobody (other than OP) has enough info to say for certain what happend and everything anyone, including you, says about this is pure speculation.

There is nothing wrong with speculations either and them being helpful is a matter of opinion. Just because one disagrees with an opinion, doesn't make it a wrong opinion.

Going to skip a few other things, but I think the most insane thing in your entire post, is that you admit there was a "flaw in the design" but still blame OP. Design/manufacturing defects are exactly what warranties are supposed to cover so you've pretty much proved OP's point.
There are multiple tiers to design flaws. There are design flaws that create a unintentional weak point, but don't prevent normal use of the product. Like how Moondrop's resin IEM's are known to have a weaker mounting of the socket, which is the case here. Again, swapping cables is not considered normal use for a IEM in a lot of cases.
And then there are design flaws that prevent proper function (it worked fine before the removal of the cable) or are downright dangerous to the user. This is what warranty is for, the former is an annoyance but not necessarily under warranty and is indeed excluded in this particular one.

You've had your say, I've had my say. Let's leave it at this and agree to disagree. I don't want to take over this thread, that's why I use spoilers.

Either way I do hope, like the others here, that OP gets a favorable outcome in this case. I just fear he won't and explained why.
Just because I occasionally play devils advocate, it doesn't mean I agree with what is happening.

Oct 26, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #87,707 of 106,670
Been thinking this for a while but after reading a review of the XLS-One that finishes on this "XSL X-One seems to be as good as that of earphones priced at $100 or more"

It really is impossible to tell if any of the iems that get mentioned in this thread are worth getting.

Comments like the above and "this earphone is great especially when you consider the price" adds ambiguity.

If I pay $15 more for another iem am I know in a new bracket where the before mentioned product no longer holds up?

I know it can be useful for people with a set budget. But if for example my budget is $600 I have no idea which item offers the most. A review of a $70 item reads like it's fantastic until the final "one of the best sub $100 pairs you can get".

Just a young man shouting at clouds
Ah, “good for the price” statement, my pet peeve :dt880smile:

Shameless plug: I score IEMs by comparison, making each score a “performance band” clustering around a representative IEM. I sometimes say “good for the price”, but you can look at the score and the price and decide for yourself.

Btw, are you looking for IEM again? I thought you have your sight on Zeta. Shoot a message if you want some recommendation.

AFUL entry level IEM is coming

E43006EC-3972-46FA-AE35-473CBE5D4FCE.jpeg

66094588-8BF5-4863-B260-E292E1AD90F3.jpeg

4F73998B-810C-4C79-9866-5CB9772B1C40.jpeg

I’m very curious about this one.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #87,709 of 106,670
Guess I'll follow along and play this spoiler game or whatever this is.

In case you didn't look, I live in the EU, not 'murica. I barely know any laws from the US as they don't matter to me in my daily life. I can only comment on what is the proces is here and I doubt you know any laws from NL. Like I said I don't know everything about warranty processes but in case you're interested, I'll give a simple explanation how it works in NL.
You never limited your opinion to the EU, like I specified mine was for the US. I believe the OP in question is in the US, why would you use another country's laws to say OP is wrong? Makes no sense.

And like I stated the moment you buy anything, you've accepted their terms, whether you've read them or not doesn't matter.
This is actually not how the law works, at least in the US. I'd bet it's also not how it works in the EU, which has stronger consumer protection laws.

No need to check a box either as the sales contract is the binding contract in this case. (https://apos.audio/pages/terms-of-service)
I don't know why you cited their website terms of service, which are the terms for using their website. It has nothing to do with a product warranty.

I think this fairly clearly states that damage this unit has and the way it was caused makes it fall outside of the scope of the warranty.
I don't see anything here that explicitly says swapping cables voids the warranty. If Moondrop doesn't want you to change/swap your cables, why would they sell upgrade cables separately?

And no, US laws don't matter in this case as Moondrop is a China based company and therefore doesn't have to follow US law for this.
First you say you can only comment about Netherland laws, but now you profess expertise on Chinese and US laws. Pick one. Also, you're dead wrong.
Using your China company/US law example, the US has a law about labeling country of origin. A Chinese manufacturer has to comply with it.
Using an EU example, you might be familiar with CE markings. A US manufacturer selling items in the EU must follow the CE marking laws if those laws apply to the items being sold in the EU.

The general idea is, if you want to do business/sell products in a foreign country, you need to follow their laws.

There is nothing wrong with speculations either and them being helpful is a matter of opinion. Just because one disagrees with an opinion, doesn't make it a wrong opinion.
Speculating in the matter you did can be harmful; if you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

You've had your say, I've had my say. Let's leave it at this and agree to disagree. I don't want to take over this thread, that's why I use spoilers.
Next time, I suggest starting and ending with the first two sentences instead of writing a 5000 word essay with additional incorrect information.

Just because I occasionally play devils advocate, it doesn't mean I agree with what is happening.
This is just annoying.

Oct 26, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #87,710 of 106,670
Aful Magic One might be a true successor to the single BA Etymotic sets which are often touted "Best single BA" because every thing else seems to be severely limited by only having a single BA.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #87,712 of 106,670
KZ EDX Lite official graph, 1DD, should be under $15

Looks pretty good
Under $8
Hardly any point though, compared to $12 double-DD capable Castors, IMO.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #87,713 of 106,670

Looks pretty good

Treble extensions are rolled off, that a downgrade from castor and krila.
How low the price can go? Even at $10ish better to get castor.
Even for budget audiophile, I don't think $5 will affecting the budget consideration.

Oct 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #87,715 of 106,670

Looks pretty good
CCA Polaris is on point across the board

Attachments

• Polaris Bass Changes.png
    Polaris Bass Changes.png
    310.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 27, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #87,717 of 106,670
AFUL entry level IEM is coming

E43006EC-3972-46FA-AE35-473CBE5D4FCE.jpeg
66094588-8BF5-4863-B260-E292E1AD90F3.jpeg
4F73998B-810C-4C79-9866-5CB9772B1C40.jpeg

I’m very curious about this one.

Hmm, I'm of the opinion that in general, single BA is the weakest of the current transducer configurations.

There are exceptions, but single BAs have physical limitations, and combine the worst flaws of a single driver and a BA driver, namely:

1) weak sub-bass extension +/- weak upper treble extension
2) generally poorer technicalities than a multi driver/hybrid set up or planar
3) BA timbre

Even on the graph above, there does appear to be a sub-bass roll-off, which is expected in a single BA setup.

Looks pretty good

Haha I like their "crush anything impure in the industry" claim.

At least they are not claiming it can beat $1000 IEMs LOL.

Oct 27, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #87,719 of 106,670
Treble extensions are rolled off, that a downgrade from castor and krila.
How low the price can go? Even at $10ish better to get castor.
Even for budget audiophile, I don't think $5 will affecting the budget consideration.
I mean those price differences are negligible.

Is some one with a several iems already really going to evaluate the $7 savings between a $12 iem and a $5 iem?

And what is anyone with a half decent iem going to get out of a $12 ultra budget (probably ultra crap) iem?

Oct 27, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #87,720 of 106,670
Ah, “good for the price” statement, my pet peeve :dt880smile:

Shameless plug: I score IEMs by comparison, making each score a “performance band” clustering around a representative IEM. I sometimes say “good for the price”, but you can look at the score and the price and decide for yourself.

Btw, are you looking for IEM again? I thought you have your sight on Zeta. Shoot a message if you want some recommendation.
I love your reviews. Also the only graphs that mean anything to me.

I been saving up and am looking for something different and unique. But it's quite literally impossible to decide.

I'd take the Zeta in a heartbeat for sure, but I don't have a DAP and have my doubts about its success out of a 3.5 phone Aux.

But those savings keep getting me closer to it 😜

I'll refer to your reviews and see whats out there this weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back