The discovery thread!
Oct 17, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #87,423 of 100,734
my Moondrop FREE DSP cable review:

1) only works if you have an android device to set the PEQ, after this you can use the free dsp cable on any device and the EQ holds no matter what host it's connected to.
2) all Gain and Q values have to be integers
3) It does not have PREAMP capability so you can only cut not boost. If you do try to boost, you will hear distortion and clipping.
4) Frequency only works at max 10KHz
5) Most of the app is in chinese so you have to have Google Translate's camera function ready.
6) There are only peak filters.

So what does this all entail? if you wanted a compact EQ solution you'd have to play around with the normalization frequency on squig graphs and figure out how to cut to a desired target instead of boosting. Makes for a somewhat interesting puzzle.

This is the EQ I've settled with on my Truthear Nova:
1697592391620.png

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #87,424 of 100,734
You work for them or just really close with them?
I don't work for Penon. But I do have conversations with the owner of Penon via email. Thats what I was told. It is obvious they are having issues as you can't log onto their site. Has been down for a week or so. First time I have seen Penon web site have serious issues like that.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #87,425 of 100,734
TRN MT4 Pro, $20 (10mm DLC DD + titanium 6mm DD, resin shell (?),
TRN answer to KZ Castor and Truthear Zero is out

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805938242621.html
1697599840543.png

1697599915507.png

1697599861472.png

1697599886784.png

smartly priced it at $20 which just right above $12~$15 Castor tough it was on discount at seems to be originally price $30.
and advertised the DLC and Titanium membrane, as exotic membrane is a thing that KZ wont touch with 10m pole.
tough, its just out and not sure how it will sound compared to Castor, no impression or review out yet

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #87,426 of 100,734
Is the LZ A7 still worth the investment I'm intrigued by them.

Oct 18, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #87,427 of 100,734
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #87,428 of 100,734
Is the LZ A7 still worth the investment I'm intrigued by them.
I love my LZ A7, but now there are IEMs with better technical chops for the price. If you can buy it for near $200 it would be good deal - it is great sound chameleon with gorgeous bass.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #87,429 of 100,734
A discovery that I for sure am not going to pursue:

1692610814838.png

Spirit Torino Twin Pulse

Dual Beryllium (plated, as far as I can interpret from their description) Driver in isobaric formation. My biggest peeve is the faceplate, which completely disturbs the continuity of the design. It looked quite fine, an industrial sort of design, up till that, and then it feels that suddenly Spirit Torino remembered that they had a signature design element that they forgot to implement, and in haste just slapped on that faceplate that aesthetically does not come within miles of the rest of the design.
My review is now live on Headfonics of the IEM Twin Pulse. It really is quite good. 👍🏼

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #87,430 of 100,734
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #87,432 of 100,734
no*SOUND presenta…
bit.ly/nosoundhifireviews (full reviews here)

IVIPQ 12

DETAILS ON A BUDGET

RATING A

Let's face it, I didn't expect this performance for such a low price; a 2DD, accompanied by 6BA at this price... at least is a surprise. But when you forget about the disastrous packaging, and focus on the capsule and its performance, it really is a great piece of headset.

It has an increditble detail performance... I would like the bass to be a little elevated. Sometimes frequencies in the upper area feel “annoying”, but it is only in certain recordings and at some moments. For some time now I have been advocating presentations with elongated bass, accompanied by some emphasis on the midbass, like my beloved FA7s, and this V12 is a perfect mix between the fullBA from FiiO and the bass of the FH7s, but controlled. The ability to separate layers and elements, the texture it provides, along with the amount of detail is impressive.

Year 2023, Chi-fi still making impressive headphones at more affordable prices. So if you have the possibility of adding a “custom” cable for this incredible price, IVIPQ has my attention in the coming months.
Get me out of the dark chi-fi pit, please.

✅Incredible dynamics and speed
✅Impressive cable
✅Surgical in definition…
🟡…clumsy (at times) in presentation

🟡Somewhat thin female voices
⭕Low-level packaging
⭕Suffers from bad recordings or analytical sources

DETALLITOS BARATITOS

VALORACIÓN A

Vaya por delante que no esperaba este rendimiento por un precio tan contenido; un doble dinámico, acompañado por 6BA a este precio… sorprende. Pero cuando te olvidas del desastroso packaging, y te centras en la cápsula y el rendimiento de la misma, es de verdad un pedazo de auricular.
Tiene detalles, como que el bajo me gustaria un poco más elevado, y que en algunos momentos tiene frecuencias en la zona alta que se sienten “molestas”, pero es solo en determinadas grabaciones y algunos momentos. Hace algún tiempo que defiendo las presentaciones con bajos alargados, acompañados de cierto énfasis en el midbass, como mi amado FA7s, y este V12 es una mezcla perfecta entre este y el bajo del FH7s, pero controlado.
La capacidad de separación de capas y elementos, la textura que entrega, junto con la cantidad de detalles es impresionante. Año 2023, y cada vez hacen auriculares más impresionantes a precios más contenidos, si además le sumas la posibilidad de añadirle un cable “custom”, IVIPQ tiene mi atención en los próximos meses.
Sacadme del pozo del chifi-oscuro, por favor.

✅ Dinámica y velocidad increíbles
✅ Cable impresionante
✅ Quirúrgico en la definición...

🟡 ...torpe (por momentos) en la presentación
🟡 Voces femeninas algo finas

⭕ Packaging de bajo nivel
⭕ Sufre con grabaciones malas o fuentes analiticas

Hi! You have a ranking of IEMS?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #87,433 of 100,734
Pretty frustrated, after a few weeks of use somehow the left filter on my Tea 2 is messed up and one of the wires is sticking out. I am EXTREMELY careful with my stuff, I use a hard case for my audio gear so I definitely do not think it was something I did lol.

at this point I’m just going to return it and be done with Amazon totally for audio stuff. Now to see if I can wait until 11/11…

Time to spend some actual time with the Zero:RED. Last night listening reminded me of driving around with my friends in high school, subwoofer thumping. not for critical listening, but a good time nonetheless. And bass.

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #87,434 of 100,734
A7 has the tuning system that’s like IMR right? With all the IMR sets you have, I cannot believe LZ would outperform them
A moment of insanity you snapped me right back. I suppose I was wondering if they implemented the tuning style differently. As I have 19 different IMR sets inc the flagship Titan you are correct just burning money 🔥💰

Users who are viewing this thread

Back