The discovery thread!
Oct 9, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #87,196 of 103,959

I just published a full review of the Astell & Kern SR35! You're invited to learn more about this overlooked gem here. :ksc75smile:
Great review, Bosk! I’m not surprised that the SR35 is decent, but that you actually tested the M11s and found that the background is blacker. I should try both again in the future.

Have you had a chance to try the HiBy R3II? It should be hanging around in Melbourne atm.

Oct 9, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #87,197 of 103,959
Great review, Bosk! I’m not surprised that the SR35 is decent, but that you actually tested the M11s and found that the background is blacker. I should try both again in the future.

Have you had a chance to try the HiBy R3II? It should be hanging around in Melbourne atm.
Thank you I'm glad you liked it! Unfortunately I haven't tried the R3II yet.

The M11s is really impressive for how affordable it is, but there's a certain character to the ESS DAC it uses which may be fatiguing over time whereas the SR35 has the usual smooth A&K sound that's probably a bit less impressive for short impressions but perhaps easier to live with long term.

If I were on a tight budget and looking for a medium-sized DAP the M11s would be a very solid choice. Whereas the SR35 is a compromise device, usability and to a very minor extent sound is being sacrificed for the sake of being so tiny yet it feels as beautifully built & finished as any DAP on the market.

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #87,198 of 103,959
Excerpt from a PM regarding the SIMGOT EA500, TANGZU FUDU, SIMGOT EM6L and TANGZU Wan’er.

The EA500 weighs 11 grams, the FUDU weighs only 4 grams!

But with a phone the FUDU was lacking personality or involvement. Though maybe in a way the FUDU and Wan’er might be similar? Really the Sonus is brighter than the EM6L and more mid-forward. Where that single BA is ultimately utilized for everything. The EM6L is smoother and has a style of complex toned down midrange and beautiful imaging. Really to me the EM6L is like a better timbre (better imaging) Wan’er, also the FUDU and EM6L have a lot in common with bass, except you need that source to discover the FUDU bass. The EM6L has a laid back treble, still with sophistication due to all those BAs. But the EM6L tuning detours bad timbre due to the BAs being tuned down. Truly I went back to the Wan’er and the timbre wasn’t that great. Where this new league of Sonus, EM6L, EA500 and FUDU are world class. I would recommend any of the 3 and the fourth FUDU to a person with a good source.
Between the FUDU and the EM6L, which would you recommend for someone who is a bit treble sensitive? My source is LGV30 quad dac paired with Fiio e12a amp

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #87,200 of 103,959
Between the FUDU and the EM6L, which would you recommend for someone who is a bit treble sensitive? My source is LGV30 quad dac paired with Fiio e12a amp
Truly both are as forgiving as it gets for the treble sensitive humans. Honestly you could have good luck with both. Though the only FiiO source I’m familiar with is the Alpen e17K? But the EM6L is more well rounded I feel? Both are really the same in many ways, if I remember right bass is only slightly stronger with the EM6L, with both from a good source. But we live in a new age, as far as how good the EM6L, FUDU, EA500 go, really exciting times to be alive. Nothing performed at this price point last year! Cheers!

Also!
Plus don’t forget the 7Hz Salnotes Zero for smooth treble!

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:41 PM Post #87,201 of 103,959
Truly both are as forgiving as it gets for the treble sensitive humans. Honestly you could have good luck with both. Though the only FiiO source I’m familiar with is the Alpen e17K? But the EM6L is more well rounded I feel? Both are really the same in many ways, if I remember right bass is only slightly stronger with the EM6L, with both from a good source. But we live in a new age, as far as how good the EM6L, FUDU, EA500 go, really exciting times to be alive. Nothing performed at this price point last year! Cheers!

Also!
Plus don’t forget the 7Hz Salnotes Zero for smooth treble!
Thanks so much! I actually went through all your headfi reviews recently and added a ton of things to my want list including the 7hz Sonus, em6l, and fudu. Thanks for all the reviews!

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #87,202 of 103,959
Thanks so much! I actually went through all your headfi reviews recently and added a ton of things to my want list including the 7hz Sonus, em6l, and fudu. Thanks for all the reviews!
Thank-you.
The bass on both the FUDU and the EM6L have a charming dislocation, where you can hear that your dealing with a Hybrid. But that’s why Hybrids are my favorite way to go with IEMs.....that separation and the slight tone of BAs being brighter than normal full-range DDs.

The bass on the FUDU and EM6L has what sounds like a millisecond delay (like big home speakers) that makes my day!

Cheers!

Edit:
The 7Hz Sonus is brighter than the EM6L and the FUDU but totally special in itself, depending on cable, source and ear-tips, you may still be “OK” with the 7Hz Sonus? Also bass on the Sonus kicks too, enabling probably more contrast held in relation to the EM6L or FUDU?

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #87,203 of 103,959
Thank-you.
The bass on both the FUDU and the EM6L have a charming dislocation, where you can hear that your dealing with a Hybrid. But that’s why Hybrids are my favorite way to go with IEMs.....that separation and the slight tone of BAs being brighter than normal full-range DDs.

The bass on the FUDU and EM6L has what sounds like a millisecond delay (like big home speakers) that makes my day!

Cheers!

The 7Hz Sonus is brighter than the EM6L and the FUDU but totally special in itself, depending on cable, source and ear-tips, you may still be “OK” with the 7Hz Sonus?
I'm open to trying things that aren't necessarily "dark". I enjoy treble as long as it's not sibilant or piercing. Have you tried the Queen of Audio Vesper 2? I'm also interested in getting the Kiwi Ears Melody and Truthear Nova this winter at some point. Gotta try them all!

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #87,204 of 103,959
I'm open to trying things that aren't necessarily "dark". I enjoy treble as long as it's not sibilant or piercing. Have you tried the Queen of Audio Vesper 2? I'm also interested in getting the Kiwi Ears Melody and Truthear Nova this winter at some point. Gotta try them all!

But you will note the “clarity” push with the 7Hz Sonus over the relaxed state of the EM6L and FUDU.

Not familiar with the Vesper 2, but have the Kiwi ears Melody in-bound.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #87,205 of 103,959
But you will note the “clarity” push with the 7Hz Sonus over the relaxed state of the EM6L and FUDU.

Not familiar with the Vesper 2, but have the Kiwi ears Melody in-bound.
Looking forward to your review of the Melody! I have only tried one planar (Zetian Wu Heyday) and it was a bit boring for me personally.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #87,206 of 103,959
Looking forward to your review of the Melody! I have only tried one planar (Zetian Wu Heyday) and it was a bit boring for me personally.
Have not heard the Heyday, but loved the original Zetain Wu, maybe my favorite Planar, from the first wave?

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #87,207 of 103,959
simgot EM6L is a tiny bit spicy in the Trebble. Might want to watch out.

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #87,208 of 103,959
The last thing you expect to find inside an IEM packaging: Fermat's Last Theorem. Simgot does exactly that with the EA1000's packaging and overall theme.

2X2A2919.jpg

Simgot's marketing ploy is only for the scientifically inclined, but it's such a breath of fresh air and a welcome departure from the stale waifu arts.

2X2A2925.jpg

The shell design is a mixture of the EN1000 faceplate style and the EA500 housing design. However, there is also the passive radiator that is placed underneath the channel marking.

2X2A2926.jpg

I've listened to them for about 30 minutes, but I am fairly positive that the EA1000 is the best IEM Simgot has released so far. Not sure what the final pricing will be but if priced under USD$200, these will be a very good option in that range.

Also, that stock cable looks dope.

2X2A2912.jpg

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #87,209 of 103,959
The last thing you expect to find inside an IEM packaging: Fermat's Last Theorem. Simgot does exactly that with the EA1000's packaging and overall theme.

Simgot's marketing ploy is only for the scientifically inclined, but it's such a breath of fresh air and a welcome departure from the stale waifu arts.

The shell design is a mixture of the EN1000 faceplate style and the EA500 housing design. However, there is also the passive radiator that is placed underneath the channel marking.

I've listened to them for about 30 minutes, but I am fairly positive that the EA1000 is the best IEM Simgot has released so far. Not sure what the final pricing will be but if priced under USD$200, these will be a very good option in that range.

This is my favourite looking Simgot so far. Was tempted to jump onto one of the other highly recommended ones but it's impossible to make a choice at the moment. So design and unique features like Passive Radiator help pull the trigger.

Also is this the ones that was meant to be their "flagship"

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #87,210 of 103,959

The post that was already posted had the price, I converted it and it was around $189.00 I think? $180.00 to $189.00 somewhere in there? I had a feeling SIMGOT would be doing something wonderful? They are on a roll and can only go from strength to more strength!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back