The discovery thread!
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #86,746 of 106,594
Seems Shanling also wants to join the CD player game (after a Moondrop one was recently announced).

https://www.facebook.com/ShanlingAu...Ca9RX8P7A2pr3a9PSBVmT2SNTouZjvYDjAh5g5g5Yk3Rl

We have further info on this CD player: https://www.head-fi.org/.../introducing-shanling-ec-mini.../

- It is called the Shanling EC Mini
- ESS ES9219 DACs, with Ricore RT6863 headphone amplifiers
- RCA and 4.4mm and 3.5mm jack. Power up to 248 mW @ 32 Ohms on balanced
- Powered by batteries
- $359 USD!
- supports micro SD, USB
- can be Bluetooth transmitter and receiver; Bluetooth Codec: Receiver LDAC, AAC, SBC // Transmitter LDAC, aptX, AAC, SBC
- Output Impedance: Less than 1 ohm
- Battery Life: Up to 23h with MicroSD card playback, up to 7.5h with CD Playback

1.jpg

EC_Mini_Stock_Images_5.jpg

It'll match E1DA 9038s output, at a lesser price

I have the E1DA, it gets much hotter, and sounds more sterile/analytical. E1DA has no volume controller too.

Will do some A/B comparisons in detail and report back.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #86,747 of 106,594
Anyone here own the Moondrop Blessing 3? If you do does it sound much better than the Blessing 2, or other iems in that price range?
I wrote about it with detailed comparison to B2 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-blessing-3.26409/reviews#review-30843

I find B3 to be quite different from the B2. Bass has good quality, similarly to other dual DD IEMs, but the quantity is a bit stingy. The problem would be the balance between upper and lower midrange. Simply put, B3 sounds quite "dry", which might be good or bad depending on your taste. I'm indifferent in this case.

The build quality is as lovely as usual. The nozzles are noticeably smaller than B2, so I had zero fit or fatigue problem with B3.

Regarding comparison with peers, I would say, go for whatever IEM that you have heard mentioning around these forums, be it AFUL, AuR, Yanyin, Moondrop, Dunu, etc. The ones I managed to try are not practically different enough, at least from technical performance point of view, to sway the decision one way or another. In other words, all have a varying degree of good tech (which, IMHO, is the only reason to pay more for an IEM, as budget IEM can have good tuning, and EQ is always there) and none really "stomps" others. Just have a look at the graph, know the quirk (e.g., thin midrange and flat soundstage of B3), and pick whatever looks good and ships faster. Personally, I would also pay attention to build, accessories and packaging at when reaching the $350-$500 bracket, since it's a lot of money for a pair of wired earphones.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #86,748 of 106,594
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #86,749 of 106,594
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #86,750 of 106,594
I was traveling thru Europe on vacations and got something to improve my listening space and get some production/mixing going on.

Genelec is a fantastic piece of equipment... these Finnish know what they do. I wanted a pair of Genelecs for a long time and ended up getting the 8010A since I'm ion a small space. Although they have small speakers the FR is incredible and the separation/stage is out of this world.

If you mostly listen to music using headphones or IEMs, give a pair of good speakers a try... it is worth.

20230920_093650 Large.jpeg

20230924_120153.jpg
Congratulations for your Genelec! They are great.
But.... What is that chair? I like it even more...

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #86,751 of 106,594
Sep 27, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #86,752 of 106,594
Do the smaller nozzles drastically change how they fit in the ears despite still having pretty bulky housings? I did not really have problems with fatigue but the B2Ds fell out of my ear pretty easily.
I wrote about it with detailed comparison to B2 here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/moondrop-blessing-3.26409/reviews#review-30843

I find B3 to be quite different from the B2. Bass has good quality, similarly to other dual DD IEMs, but the quantity is a bit stingy. The problem would be the balance between upper and lower midrange. Simply put, B3 sounds quite "dry", which might be good or bad depending on your taste. I'm indifferent in this case.

The build quality is as lovely as usual. The nozzles are noticeably smaller than B2, so I had zero fit or fatigue problem with B3.

Regarding comparison with peers, I would say, go for whatever IEM that you have heard mentioning around these forums, be it AFUL, AuR, Yanyin, Moondrop, Dunu, etc. The ones I managed to try are not practically different enough, at least from technical performance point of view, to sway the decision one way or another. In other words, all have a varying degree of good tech (which, IMHO, is the only reason to pay more for an IEM, as budget IEM can have good tuning, and EQ is always there) and none really "stomps" others. Just have a look at the graph, know the quirk (e.g., thin midrange and flat soundstage of B3), and pick whatever looks good and ships faster. Personally, I would also pay attention to build, accessories and packaging at when reaching the $350-$500 bracket, since it's a lot of money for a pair of wired earphones.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:02 AM Post #86,753 of 106,594
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #86,754 of 106,594
Sep 27, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #86,755 of 106,594
KZ ZAT
(1DD+8BA) no price yet.

Graph by PaulWasabi

1695797273155.jpeg

--
image by Chris love

1695797317110.jpeg

1695797343842.jpeg

Chris Love's first impression

I won't go into alot of detail because I am going to review this set and also... I've spent a total of about 45 minutes with them so... Everything is subject to change and even these thoughts are mildly irresponsible.
Anywhoo... Right out the gate I can tell that this is a nicely open and airy sound with a penchant for detail retrieval and a tidy and tight slam which will give you some moderate to nice slam based on your switch settings.
The midrange is not overtly recessed and has nice presence in the mix.
The treble sounds forgiving but not lacking with a tad bit of bite and enough lift to balance out the frequency.
hear a very slight V-shape to a U-shaped sound which you'll find out when you play with the switches.
The tonal coloration is warmish/neutral and note weight is on the lean-lush side of the aisle. Not overly heavy, warm or thicky-thick but also not at all super lean or dry. The stage is a nice size thus far and I don't want to say anymore for fear I'll regret it. They sound nice folks.

---

Akros Review of KZ Castor brothers.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #86,756 of 106,594
Do the smaller nozzles drastically change how they fit in the ears despite still having pretty bulky housings? I did not really have problems with fatigue but the B2Ds fell out of my ear pretty easily.
Smaller nozzles mean it is easier to wear the IEM properly (housing resting again the conchas of your ears). I think the fit would be more stable.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #86,757 of 106,594
KZ ZAT
(1DD+8BA) no price yet.

Graph by PaulWasabi

1695797273155.jpeg
--
image by Chris love

1695797317110.jpeg
1695797343842.jpeg

Chris Love's first impression

---

Akros Review of KZ Castor brothers.

I'm actually interested in what KZ could do if, for change, they stopped throwing out a 'new' model at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and instead took time and invested in R&D to, based from all the experience they gained with these 'cheap' models, make something truly outstanding.

Sep 27, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #86,758 of 106,594
I'm actually interested in what KZ could do if, for change, they stopped throwing out a 'new' model at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and instead took time and invested in R&D to, based from all the experience they gained with these 'cheap' models, make something truly outstanding.
KZ have tendency of slow improvement over multiple models.
they "improve" but slowly as they see which one works in the market that they throw half a dozen model on
---
and out of all thing, while driver setup is wildly different

1695808773963.png

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #86,759 of 106,594
7Hz Legato

Been trying Legato most of my day, been quite a fun experience. It does bass different than some other basshead IEMs I have used.
I do think its to dark sounding, also the bass is sort of not in perfect harmony with the rest. Reminds me a little of a basement rave, bass is big and kind of slow. While rest of the details might not be as important, its about rhythm to get your going.

Not that this is wrong, it does give you a special experience. I do think this can be great for basshead's craving some a rave sound in your ears.

DSCF3632.jpg
I thinks this is one of the most special bass outhere.

The spatial sensation of the punch that bass havr is trully unique.

Also, the build and presentation of the package is top.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #86,760 of 106,594
KZ have tendency of slow improvement over multiple models.
they "improve" but slowly as they see which one works in the market that they throw half a dozen model on
---
and out of all thing, while driver setup is wildly different

1695808773963.png
That's probably a more lucrative and simpler approach, so I can't blame them.

That graph, though.. Uh hello, treble, are you there? But it's got a smoother and calmer bass curve too, so it might be a decent mid-forward set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back