The discovery thread!
Aug 17, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #85,081 of 100,687
image.jpg

Great review mate. Almost the same thought from my side. These IEMs are way more competent (and cheaper) than what I expected. I still think that peaking the ear gain at 1.5kHz is not a right idea, but surprisingly it works. The dual planars are not gimmicky either.

What do you think about planars as highs?

From my opinion, planar sound characteristic, if tuned and implemented properly should closer to ESTs rather than piezos / BAs. They have detail characteristic bringing the micro details but presented in smooth way, details but smooth transient, never peaky and don't have ringing tails.

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #85,082 of 100,687
Initial impressions:

■ Bass bleeds
■ Overpowering bass guitars and bass kicks that they meld too much on vocals. like bass-baritone vocals and bass guitars are trying to outdo one another.
■ Too recessed midrange in my liking.
■ somehow a balanced treble response though lack of upper mids boost as it blunted the attack of percussives and some sopranos sounds like a mezzo-sopranos or even contraltos.
■ its a bit of struggle to find right tips on this one.
■ High quality stock cable.

20230817_142910.jpg
20230817_142917.jpg
20230817_142937.jpg
20230817_143801.jpg
20230817_143816.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #85,085 of 100,687
Aug 17, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #85,087 of 100,687
Initial impressions:

■ Bass bleeds
■ Overpowering bass guitars and bass kicks that they meld too much on vocals. like bass-baritone vocals and bass guitars are try to outdo one another.
■ Too recessed midrange in my liking.
■ somehow a balanced treble response though lack of upper mids boost as it blunted the attack of percussives and some sopranos sounds like a mezzo-sopranos or even contraltos.
■ its a bit of struggle to find right tips on this one.
■ High quality stock cable.

20230817_142910.jpg20230817_142917.jpg20230817_142937.jpg20230817_143801.jpg20230817_143816.jpg
I'll wait for the Bl03 MK2, if it's ever going to happen.

Aug 17, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #85,089 of 100,687

Great review mate. Almost the same thought from my side. These IEMs are way more competent (and cheaper) than what I expected. I still think that peaking the ear gain at 1.5kHz is not a right idea, but surprisingly it works. The dual planars are not gimmicky either.

Nice setup at work.

This is my companion
MVIMG_20230817_111604-01.jpeg

About PHOENIX CALL the tuning looks interesting, also the driver configuration.

But Im gonna pick the AVIATION overt the new celest.
Are you going to review them?

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #85,090 of 100,687
What do you think about planars as highs?

From my opinion, planar sound characteristic, if tuned and implemented properly should closer to ESTs rather than piezos / BAs. They have detail characteristic bringing the micro details but presented in smooth way, details but smooth transient, never peaky and don't have ringing tails.

Hard to generalise since this is my only IEM with this type of driver as tweeters. The S12 has full range 14.5mm driver, and it has the same metallic timbre as the Sundara, which I personally found repulsive (and I am the guy who rarely complains about timbre and tonality).

I find the planar tweeters of the kinera to be quite good. Resolving with a sense of effortless to it. It does not have the “hard edge” like the treble of Helios. I like to listen critically to the treble of this one, similarly to how I like to listen critically to the bass of Hype2.

Not saying that the timbre is perfect though. Violin and cellos still feel slightly thin and metallic somehow. Maybe it’s because of the BA midrange rather than the treble. Hard to say what drivers cause what without hand-waving and unjustified claims.

I still want to retune this one to a more conventional target.

Nice setup at work.

This is my companion
MVIMG_20230817_111604-01.jpeg
About PHOENIX CALL the tuning looks interesting, also the driver configuration.

But Im gonna pick the AVIATION overt the new celest.
Are you going to review them?

Thanks! Just borrow the Mojo2 to see what the fuss is about. I’m returning it to my friend soon-ish. I want one but I have zero need for one.

Nice Q7 you have there!

What is Aviation? I’m not too up-to-date with release news :dt880smile:

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #85,092 of 100,687
Sharing my impressions EPZ Q5!

EPZ Q5 - Rooting for the Underdog

Greetings fellow audiophily affictionados, today we will be taking a deeper look and listen into EPZ's new single 10mm dynamic driver with a dual cavity and dual magnetic circuit design - the Q5!

This unit was a gift from the well known and community recognized reviewer, Akros (António Teixeira), a fellow countryman of mine who has taken the extra step to support and motivate me, a beginner audiophile.
I will take this chance to challenge you to a similar attitude, introducing a fellow friend or audiophily beginner to a IEM set you own and can borrow/gift.

EPZ is a well established brand that I believe deserves more attention and credit, given their low key ingenious designs. The Q5 has been quite the surprise for me, suiting me as a daily driver option, as an antithesis to the more shouty and Mid fatiguing units as of nowadays, like the Simgot Ea500 and, for such reason, I shall compare them both.

Before dwelling into the sound of the EPZ Q5, I must give credit to the unboxing experience which is rather unique. The box opens up frontally, as if it was exposing its heart, in an "arms opening" motion (as a warm welcoming hug).

20230803_184614.jpg

Onwards to what matters.

Sub-Bass

Generous in amount, just enough to enhance the perception of depth, without becoming unnatural.
It is Rumbly on the instruments and tracks that are supposed to rumble, and its decay is acceptably quick for the price range.
Doesn't distort.
Textured and nicely extended, however it doesn't act creamy nor gritty when the track demands for it.

MidBass

Here we have a great balance of intensity and decay. Whilst the decay is merely average, the slam is clean and non intrusive. Kicks aren't notoriously boosted but also aren't hindered.

It isn't enough for bassheads, it sits closer to a neutral bass, however it is lightly seasoned with "salt and pepper" just so it brings joy in dynamics and note weight. A very light coloring that is welcomed.

In my opinion this kind of Sub Bass and midbass is just enough to feel immersed in any genre, without masking details or affecting the remainder of the frequencies in a distracting way.

Bass guitars feel punchy, full bodied, thus Motown-like Basslines are a delight to listen to, a cool remark.

Lower Mids

Slightly boxed. Percussion timbre feels hollower than the rest of the signature, by a slight margin. This is more evident on lower resolution 80's sampled drums.

Cellos are present but lack exposure and sound leaner than either bassier or higher register strings.

Sometimes male vocals and background alto choirs sound overly distant, especially on busier tracks. Don't get me wrong here, they are still clear and defined, but they are comparatively less intense.

Overall, any instrument that has a wide frequency range presentation, extended throughout numerous harmonics (down and up the frequency range), like the piano, harp, accordion, guitars, they feel leaner, with less note weight, as they "venture" through the lower mids interval.

It isn't a deal breaker but it could do better at glueing the two frequency range extremities.

Upper Mids

Forward but never uncomfortable from shoutiness nor harshness. Only in older tracks with very intense horns and strings do you get your ears pierced. Can also happen with old recordings of female vocals.

A very healthy forwardness that the listeners have been accustomed to, yet this time it doesn't feel like the main focus of the set.

Lead instruments like synths and guitars are mix cutting, lush and vibrant but don't steal the spotlight. String pluckings are snappy, alto saxs have grain and rich transients.

Snares sound natural and quick, non-piercing, even the higher pitched ones on R&B and Golden-era Hip-Hop.

Treble

Defined, extended but not sparkly.

High hats and cymbals have texture but when tracks get busier, they lose the extra clarity and are pushed further away.

Violins on upper registers cut through the mix but aren't very textured.

It isn't a tame nor uninteresting treble, as all the information is there, displayed in a smooth way that doesn't offend neither the bright-heads nor the treble-sensitive ones. It is actually the first time I hear a treble that seems balanced and versatile for taste and every genre.

20230803_194747.jpg

Technicalities

Details are above average for the price range. You can clearly pick on earcandy, however less evident if they are in the treble region.

Layering is above average, however on very busy tracks, like Jazz big bands or Orchestral Music, the Q5 gets convoluted. It's as if the more instruments you add to the equation, the more you proportionally lose in each instrument clarity and separation between them. In this situation, the detail retrieval is also affected
I feel it's on the lower mids that it dips the most, affecting the overall clarity.

Soundstage is rather wider than taller, non claustrophobic, very acceptable and comfortable. No complaints considering the price point, but keep in mind that if this was 2021/2022, this would be an above average spaciality, however, by this year's standards (considering the price range) it matches the market price point.

Fit and Comfort

This is a big plus, as the fit is immaculate - the shell just houses itself perfectly on my ear, keeping its seal constant. Its shape is much like Sennheiser's IEMs, which is a plus, and it is super light as well, so I often kept forgetting I had IEMs on. For these reasons, it makes a great gym/sports companion.

The only downside, which is mostly a joke, is that, given the MMCX connection, some cables allow for the IEM to spin over the connection, sometimes rendering me confused on which one is the left and right side. I never seem to get it right the first time.

Accessories

The original cable MMCX's termination I got didn't securely connect with the IEM, not clicking when pushed in, but I was the only one having this issue, so I'm sure this is a dud.

Other than that it looks premium, stylish and comfortable, definitely a step above when compared to other units within the same price range. Can't comment on performance.

20230803_184910.jpg

Comparisons to Simgot EA500

Given the fact they graph similarly, the comparison seems feasible to me.

Tuning wise the Q5 is a tad warmer with less emphasis on the Upper Mids and Treble than the EA500, just enough to mitigate the pinna gain to bearable levels, and the treble is smoother on transients.
Upper Mids are more natural on Q5, way more comfortable, however the EA500 embellishes vocals and brings an extra dose of lushness that can be as overwhelming as distracting.

In the other end, the Midbass is slightly more intense in slam and the SubBass is more powerful and deeper.
Keep in mind these tuning comparisons are not abysmal, rather a 10% difference in tuning overal, just enough to make the Q5 an alternative for pinna sensitive people or someone who needs a bit more bass out of the box.

Technicalities wise I can notice the Ea500's driver has the upperhand, with finer details, a wider and taller soundstage as well as superior layering.

Final Words

I sincerely wish this model gets the deserved attention, as it strikes me as beautifully engineered daily driver material. It ticks a lot of boxes for both indoor and outdoor use. It is a comfortable, non-fatiguing bang-for-buck wonder and suits me well when I need to take some rest from Mid and Treble Fatiguing IEMs, without sacrificing much on the detail retrieval. The timbre is mostly natural so it is also very versatile, capable of multiple music genres.

It isn't easily upgradable up to the 100$ mark, and even if you do, I'm sure you'll come back to these when you need to carry something cheaper.

This one is definitely a keeper!

Miguel Esteves

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #85,093 of 100,687

MOONDROP Space Travel TWS Impressions: The Budget Audiophile's Choice!​

1692284263007.png

Come with me as I share my impressions on the Moondrop Space Travel, Moondrop’s latest budget TWS priced at an insane $25. Why do I think that’s insane? Well, it features ANC, Transparency, a very aesthetically pleasing design, and an app that allows you to modify the controls and their tuning! But at that price, what does it compromise? Let’s find out!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:​

• Aesthetically pleasing but somewhat difficult to use case
  • Similarly aesthetically pleasing IEM design but somewhat poor fitting
  • Decent feature set for the price
  • Subpar battery life
  • Usable ANC and Transparency
  • Well-balanced, vocal-centric sound

The Space Travel’s biggest selling point is just how good it sounds for $25. Seriously well balanced with a clean, sub bass-centric sound without making the midrange sound recessed like most TWS do, really clear and crisp vocal clarity, and pretty decent treble extension for a TWS. Pair that with its very beautiful presentation both in its house and the buds themselves make these a seriously solid recommendation for those looking for a good-looking and good-sounding pair of TWS for the price.

However, the Space Travel follows Moondrop’s reputation for their TWS being sound first, and usability second as I found the user experience with the Space Travel is not the most ideal. The fitting was not the best which potentially may have affected the effectiveness of the ANC and transparency modes, both sound barely passable for me. The case is more form over function with it causing problems during storage and the fact that there is no cap to keep the buds from falling out and the somewhat subpar battery life. It also does not feature any IPX rating or aptX codecs.

But for $25, I really don’t know much about TWS which has such a jam-packed feature set and executes it to a satisfactory degree. Pair that with the relatively solid tuning that the Space Travel has and it proves itself to be quite a versatile and highly recommendable budget TWS.

Stay tuned for the full review!

If you would like to get one yourself, consider using the non-affiliated link below: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...3mm-dynamic-driver-bluetooth-in-ear-headphone

If you have any questions or concerns, contact me on my Facebook page or at obodioreviews@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #85,094 of 100,687

MOONDROP Space Travel TWS Impressions: The Budget Audiophile's Choice!​

1692284263007.png

Come with me as I share my impressions on the Moondrop Space Travel, Moondrop’s latest budget TWS priced at an insane $25. Why do I think that’s insane? Well, it features ANC, Transparency, a very aesthetically pleasing design, and an app that allows you to modify the controls and their tuning! But at that price, what does it compromise? Let’s find out!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:​

• Aesthetically pleasing but somewhat difficult to use case
  • Similarly aesthetically pleasing IEM design but somewhat poor fitting
  • Decent feature set for the price
  • Subpar battery life
  • Usable ANC and Transparency
  • Well-balanced, vocal-centric sound

The Space Travel’s biggest selling point is just how good it sounds for $25. Seriously well balanced with a clean, sub bass-centric sound without making the midrange sound recessed like most TWS do, really clear and crisp vocal clarity, and pretty decent treble extension for a TWS. Pair that with its very beautiful presentation both in its house and the buds themselves make these a seriously solid recommendation for those looking for a good-looking and good-sounding pair of TWS for the price.

However, the Space Travel follows Moondrop’s reputation for their TWS being sound first, and usability second as I found the user experience with the Space Travel is not the most ideal. The fitting was not the best which potentially may have affected the effectiveness of the ANC and transparency modes, both sound barely passable for me. The case is more form over function with it causing problems during storage and the fact that there is no cap to keep the buds from falling out and the somewhat subpar battery life. It also does not feature any IPX rating or aptX codecs.

But for $25, I really don’t know much about TWS which has such a jam-packed feature set and executes it to a satisfactory degree. Pair that with the relatively solid tuning that the Space Travel has and it proves itself to be quite a versatile and highly recommendable budget TWS.

Stay tuned for the full review!

If you would like to get one yourself, consider using the non-affiliated link below: https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...3mm-dynamic-driver-bluetooth-in-ear-headphone

If you have any questions or concerns, contact me on my Facebook page or at obodioreviews@gmail.com
I've been trying one of these models for a week, my opinions in the audiophile section are a little different from yours. In my opinion, even at the entry level, this headset does not have any claims about the audiophile world. I don't think even moondrop has such a claim. it still has fine tuned sound for a standard user. Other than that, I'm thinking similar things. the box is bad, very sensitive to dust and quite unprotected. comfort is bad. this thing has a much worse battery capacity than a standard model when it comes to battery, only 12 hours. however, it stands out with some technological features. space travel has nothing to stand out other than a few mediocre things, while there are hundreds of models on the market, someone has to convince me to order space travel, the 12 hour battery is very bad

Aug 17, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #85,095 of 100,687
CVJ Konoka was delivered as I was heading out the door. Limited first impression (i.e. less than 5min of time): I can't tell that I've got the vibration motor working. I think it is, but it's more subtle than I expected and seems to sit higher in the frequency response curve than I expected.

Very excited to experiment with this dumb feature more later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back